Easter Monday, Torquay v Woking, 2/4/18

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
gurneygibbs23
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: jean pierre simb

Post by gurneygibbs23 »

Well done lads. A comfortable game turned into an edge of the seat thriller!

Defensively good until woking scored then it became a mess. Attack wise quite good all game i enjoyed 3 up front with the wing backs. Quite positive. Luke Young was superb all game, broke up play and passed really well, started a lot of attacks. Liam Davis was very good also.

I think 4 wins & a draw should hopefully get us safe. Big big challenge with 6 huge games to come.

What a goal from Connor L-Evans.
Cruisinho
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane

Post by Cruisinho »

Looking back on what I said might have been harsh actually. I had forgotten about how much of a dire situation we were in when Owers first arrived. Wasn’t it W0 D3 L7? And by my workings he has a win percentage now of 30%? Which isn’t actually that bad considering how we started the season. If only we didn’t have to wait so long for a manager to be appointed!

I still think we are down though, too much to do in 6 games. But win the next 3 and I will start thinking otherwise!
Lloyder5
Skipper
Skipper

Post by Lloyder5 »

gateman49 wrote: 02 Apr 2018, 20:27 Reid can't do right by some fans can he?

His first real action was to bring the ball down the right side, cut in and send a vicious cross for a defender to nearly manage the own goal of the season with the ball only just clearing the bar from a point blank header.

Alright, he did hit one high, wide and into the clock but he ran and ran in the half hour or so he was on and held the ball well when he got it.

Sorry but that's what I saw.
I also agree with this point. Reid did what he was brought on to do, add so energy up front. It was a shame that the negative comments began as soon as he came on.
TUST number 080
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

Cruisinho wrote: 03 Apr 2018, 08:30Looking back on what I said might have been harsh actually. I had forgotten about how much of a dire situation we were in when Owers first arrived. Wasn’t it W0 D3 L7? And by my workings he has a win percentage now of 30%? Which isn’t actually that bad considering how we started the season. If only we didn’t have to wait so long for a manager to be appointed!
Exactly; the disastrous pre-season and the equally disastrous to persevere with Nicholson by Harrop is what did for this season AND the ridiculously long period between getting rid of him and appointing Owers.

Harrop really didn't have a clue what he was doing and so we went from having an 'L Plate' manager to an 'L Plate' General Manager and it really was playing with fire........has his club learend anything over the past five years?

Not in my opinion it hasn't; even under three different regimes!
Arrywithnobrain
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Tony Brown

Post by Arrywithnobrain »

merse btpir wrote: 03 Apr 2018, 09:08 Exactly; the disastrous pre-season and the equally disastrous to persevere with Nicholson by Harrop is what did for this season AND the ridiculously long period between getting rid of him and appointing Owers.

Harrop really didn't have a clue what he was doing and so we went from having an 'L Plate' manager to an 'L Plate' General Manager and it really was playing with fire........has his club learend anything over the past five years?

Not in my opinion it hasn't; even under three different regimes!
Good old Merse - press the Nicho button and you spew out the same old c(lapt)rap. Interesting to see that you are not interested enough to proof read your outpourings to correct the typos. "learend"? Who are you Merse - the Dong with the luminous nose?
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

As a person with mild dyslexia I think I am painstakingly checking and correcting much of what I post; claptrap to you which is why you post moronic claptrap in response I guess.

You're lucky to get a response out of me, oh brainless one
uffculme1

Post by uffculme1 »

Well, if anyone, for whatever reason would like an ulcer then go and watch a Torquay game, the team in the first half actually played as if they knew each other, a rare enough feat for us, although I think there were far to many attempts at the million dollar pass when the simple alternative would have achieved a similar result. Kuhl spent more of the first half talking to some random person next to the dugout than he did watching the game and whatever the halftime team talk from Owers he managed to turn the team into a bunch of nervous amateurs, I said before the game our keeper was due for a stinker after his recent heroic performances and he certainly tried to prove me right especially in the second half, having said that he got it out of his system,
While the work ethic of Williams can be called into question especially when he doesn't have the ball to replace him with Reed who runs around like a headless chicken was total nonsense, more so when you consider at the time we were crying out for support in midfield where we were being overrun, I actually like Reed, but only when he plays and stays on the wing where he actually poses a threat and has some small measure of skill.
Now we have been incredibly lucky in getting the loan of a smart striker from Cardiff, several friends have told me they have seen him play and Warnock rates him highly, so what do we do , second half we play him deep in midfield and he probably touched the ball four of five times, a total waste.
Mcginty is obviously practising for a future career as a place kicker in the NFL judging by the amount of time he put the ball out of the ground, when he boots the ball he has one touch, howitzer, there is no finesse and in the second half when he went careering over the half way line there was a collective gasp of fear in the family stand that he would still be going through the swimming pool car park, your a bloody centre half, head the ball and leave technical stuff to the few members of the team who have a grasp of the concepts of touch and skill.
But three points is three points,however if we play next week like we did in the second half Dover will take us apart.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Agree with Gateman and Lloyder, the stick Reid gets from some is disappointing, no supporting the
local lad here. Works his socks off and does a lot of good stuff, ok his final ball and finishing is frustating
but in the last 25 mins he was more what we needed than Williams who strolls around for 90 minutes and
gets idolised by some. Believe me whichever club Williams end up at next season he will spend most of
it on the bench, he wont change now.
Arrywithnobrain
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Tony Brown

Post by Arrywithnobrain »

merse btpir wrote: 03 Apr 2018, 12:05 As a person with mild dyslexia I think I am painstakingly checking and correcting much of what I post; claptrap to you which is why you post moronic claptrap in response I guess.

You're lucky to get a response out of me, oh brainless one
Thank you for the explanation for your linguistic peccadillos - I do indeed consider myself extremely fortunate to receive a response: it's almost like a Lotto win.
However, as usual you miss the point that it is not dyslexia that is responsible for your constant sniping at Nicholson and his management regime, but more a case of your own blinkered bigotry. The kind of overweening arrogance that enables you to comment with purported insight on matches that you have not seen makes you portray yourself as an opinionated Alf Garnett type of figure who is incapable of forming a balanced judgement and is not open to sensible reasoning. This is anathema to any fair minded individual, of which there are many on this forum, and it is unfortunate because it casts doubt on posts that you make which may be well informed.
It would be helpful if you would make a definitive statement as to when you consider that Nicholson will no longer bear any responsibility for anything to do with Torquay United. Will the poor guy be at fault if Torquay are propping up the Western League? Will you still be deriding his chauffeuring performance when driverless vehicles have become the norm? Give us the benefit of your wondrous wisdom regarding when you will grant Nicho your absolution. Otherwise accept that the past is gone and cannot be altered and that it does not have to regurgitated: you can produce enough b******t without needing to chew the cud about Nicholson.
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

desperado wrote: 03 Apr 2018, 14:03 Agree with Gateman and Lloyder, the stick Reid gets from some is disappointing, no supporting the
local lad here. Works his socks off and does a lot of good stuff, ok his final ball and finishing is frustating
Agree totally. I do not understand why Jamie Reid is singled out for so much abuse when we have so many shit players. Given he is local should be all the more reason to support him (unless some people are actually offended by the fact that the local
hero is black).
Its worth remembering that Reid is joint top scorer at the moment.
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

Plainmoor78 wrote: 03 Apr 2018, 15:12 Agree totally. I do not understand why Jamie Reid is singled out for so much abuse when we have so many shit players. Given he is local should be all the more reason to support him (unless some people are actually offended by the fact that the local
hero is black).
Its worth remembering that Reid is joint top scorer at the moment.
And second only to Luke Young in assists.

http://www.torquayfanstats.com/season1718
CraigUnder
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by CraigUnder »

Highlights are up > http://www.thenationalleague.org.uk/mat ... /1-2849909

Great Goal from Evans but WTF is that defending after retaking the lead!!
Paignton boy

Post by Paignton boy »

Seems like losing to Torquay is the end. Woking have sacked their manager! Now not sure if that will help us or not?
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

Well, that was Brett Williams at his laziest worst. Apart from a well taken penalty, he contributed nothing to yesterday's game. There was an example in the second half - a Woking player had the ball, Williams was the nearest Gulls player but stood like a statue watching. Barnes ran past him, got in a good challenge, the ball went to a second Woking player, Barnes chased him down forcing him to make a mistake and we re-gained possession. Whilst this was going on, Williams was but a spectator. Okay - we know that he isn't going to run around like Romain or Reid, but he has to do some of the hard graft. I couldn't understand why fans clapped him off when he was rightly substituted.

Dorel was possibly at fault with their goal, but he was not wholly responsible. The ball was played over Ballotoni for not the first time during the match and he was alarmingly slow in getting back to challenge the scorer. I can understand Owers not changing a winning team, but our defence has looked at its strongest when the central three have been Gowling-McGinty-Efete (before Efete was moved out of position to full back to replace useless Barnum-Bobb).

Finally, I took special notice of Young and Gowling yesterday and as I suspected, in spite of all his clever words, Merson knows feck all about football. Young was a massive influence on the game ..... FOR 90 MINUTES ..... and apart from a poor back header which sold Dorel short towards the end of the game, Gowling DIDN'T MISS A HEADER ALL MATCH. So, folks, when you read Merson's lengthy damning reports, don't take them for gospel. It's simply his opinion which he likes to give the impresion is always right, but in fact it's invariably wrong.
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Jackie Gallagher

Post by Teigngull »

I'll say this now & I mean very single word
I do not give a flying feck if Williams parks his arse in a deckchair on the edge of the oppo's penalty box smoking a Jamaican woodbine & sipping pina coladas to his hearts content, if, somehow, he grabs the goals that keeps us in this division.
And I'm pretty darn sure the rest of you would be alright with it too.
We've been crying out for a Williams all season, we knew what he was like from before & we still castigate him, that's where Nicholson went wrong with him ( he didn't know how to get the best out of him), for feck sake let's play to his strengths & maybe just maybe he might deliver the goods.
To put it another way, if Williams was not here we'd all be crying out for a player like him to get the goals to keep us up, just like he did before.
You wouldn't ask Mo Farrah to run the 100m in the commonwealth games would you ?
And arrywithnobrain, start consuming that rather large chip on your shoulder, your becoming quite boring & predictable too.