Torquay United v Hampton & Richmond 25/08/2018

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
notnow
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by notnow »

:goodpost:
MellowYellow wrote: 26 Aug 2018, 13:44 I see that the HE poll results show 94% want Owers to leave! 6% want Owers to stay, although I expect that will be Osborne; Harrop, the Mayor and other 'finger in the pie' mobsters.

94% is a pretty damming indictment on Owers managerial ability.

I would suggest Owers has now lost the trust of the majority of supporters. Regrettably for him trust does not come with a refill. When trust is broken, sorry means nothing. Once trust is gone, it takes forever to repair.

Make it happen Mr Owers - shock everyone! and walk out the door.
notnow
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by notnow »

PL21gull wrote: 26 Aug 2018, 19:03 One minute Owers states he is happy with his squad, the next he spends all his time swearing at them. How difficult should it be for a professional manager with full-time pros to play to the strengths of the squad members? How can less well-known teams consistently come and show us how to be organised and to play as a team?
How can a professional manager send his players out to produce Sunday League hit and hope air ball. Shame on you GO.
Can we please find a manager/coach who will try to play some vestige of football basics. In this league we should be controlling matches and easily making sufficient realistic goal-scoring opportunities from open play and sensible crosses/balls into danger areas where the opposing keeper actually has to do something!
Easy, Nicho.
lambadaboss
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by lambadaboss »

Good evening. Having just signed up I would like to say hello to everyone on here who is experiencing, as I am, disappointment at the position Torquay United find themselves in.
notnow
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by notnow »

lambadaboss wrote: 26 Aug 2018, 20:19 Good evening. Having just signed up I would like to say hello to everyone on here who is experiencing, as I am, disappointment at the position Torquay United find themselves in.
You will forgive us for our lack of excitement in welcoming you then!😕
lambadaboss
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by lambadaboss »

Of course. Perhaps I may be able to add something different with my contributions though.
notnow
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by notnow »

Fire away! Welcome.
HamptonFan
Trialist
Trialist

Post by HamptonFan »

Here in peace and friendship.

Don’t usually get involved with other clubs, but having seen the Hampton team being described as a ‘pub car park team’ and ‘limited’, I felt I had to respond.

Quite a number of the squad have experience at a higher level, even League experience, so they are not all players playing above themselves. Also, many came up through Premier League and Championship academies, hardly the route of ‘limited’ players.

1; Ben Wynter was on loan with us last season and was a vital part of the push that got us to the playoff final. So hardly limited, or suitable for a pub car park. Didn’t look like the same player that we had, yesterday, though.

2; Mavila came to Hampton from Leyton Orient and was also in West Ham’s squad in 2015.

3; Simon Downer, 6 seasons at Leyton Orient and also over 300 appearances for Sutton Utd.

4; Uchechi, also experience of higher level football with West Ham, Sheff Wed, and Aberdeen.

5; Whichelow, an unused sub, made 20 appearances for Watford in the Championship.

And 6: Craig Dundas made over 500 appearances for Sutton, many in the National League.

There’s an experienced and skilful core, similar to what many clubs in the league have.

Am sure all the Hampton fans who travelled yesterday could all understand you’re extremely angry over the way your club is run, I think we would be too, although we don’t have the expectations and desires you do.

Please let’s have some respect for the teams you’re playing this season; in fact, don’t forget now, you’re one of us. You’re going to be one of the teams everyone will raise their game for, and that’s something hard to deal with sometimes, facing 40-odd cup finals.

But. On the plus side, our players were impressed by the way the guys over in the Popular Stand applauded them for their performance. Not many clubs do that, so kudos there as that’s pretty impressive.

At this level, its the team spirit that matters, and if a manager can get that, then they have a better chance of decent results. Even I could see that your squad didn’t have that and I hope it changes soon.

I hope Owers does go, for the sake of you guys; you’re an honest bunch who deserve better than what you’ve had recently.

Take care and we’ll welcome you all to our little place later in the season. Good luck at Evesham.
YorkshireGully
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Reidy

Post by YorkshireGully »

Are you taking the piss our car park is bigger than your ground haha COYY
Road2League2
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: The Lemon

Post by Road2League2 »

YorkshireGully strikes again
ROAD TO LEAGUE 2 :keepie:
greb46
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by greb46 »

You've hit the nail right on the head,team spirit is non existent with a manager like Owers heads go down lower than Ostriches.Imagine going into battle for this man,you've lost the war immediately totally unmotivational but sadly all part of the demise of this club.Wish you well for the rest of the season.
YorkshireGully
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Reidy

Post by YorkshireGully »

Get a grip getting piss taken out of us my Hampton fans COYY.
Road2League2
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: The Lemon

Post by Road2League2 »

Couldn’t agree more YorkshireGully. Where’s our pride gone? Bloody Hampton putting 2 past us at Plainmoor + their pub fans mugging us off on our own page COYY
ROAD TO LEAGUE 2 :keepie:
greb46
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by greb46 »

A pub team that appears better than our current pub team
lambadaboss
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by lambadaboss »

My views may not please everyone but that is what a forum is about, for individuals to express their opinions on things and to air their grievances. I have followed the events of the last 4 years with interest and I really could not see anything other than Torquay dropping down a few divisions. This fall could have been arrested earlier, in my opinion, if the Board/Chairman had the financial means to support bringing in a manager and players who could have given some much needed experience to the playing squad. I didn't believe for one moment that Kevin Nicholson was the person to achieve this. A fine player for TUFC for many years, yes, but not a manager. A manager has to learn his trade at a lower level/levels, and this generally takes place with a club which is solid and able to hold their own at the level it is playing at. The problem with Mr Nicholson being handed the reins at Torquay United in order to learn his trade was that TUFC was a team in transition, with no experienced professionals to maintain the club's status quo while Kevin Nicholson learned how to coach and manage the players. And make his mistakes.

While this was happening, the team was suffering and confidence was draining. Torquay, though being a lovely area of the UK is well off the beaten track as far as professional footballers are concerned and it is difficult to attract players to come to Devon unless you are paying them a well above average salary, which most certainly was not the case. So the only players the club could realistically hope to attract were youngsters who had not made the grade with other clubs, trainees who had no experience at all, and loanees who generally are looking to stay for a few months, get match fit and return to their parent clubs. Consequently, any manager in charge at TUFC was facing an uphill battle. And if you have a manager in charge like Mr Nicholson, learning his trade, the odds are firmly stacked against the team. Lack of money from the Board to address this contributed hugely, but I could see nothing other than relegation from the various Divisions, which then happened.

Having just saved themselves from relegation the club should have dispensed with Mr Nicholson and looked for a manager who could consolidate and keep the team in the National League. It would have taken money, yes, but failure to do so would only lead to another relegation, again which duly happened. The decision to dispense with Mr Nicholson's services after a handful of games last season achieved nothing as a whole summer had been lost in which a new manager could have been brought in. The Chairman and Board must take full responsibility for this debacle but the appointment of the current manager was nothing short of absurd in my opinion. If you are looking to get the team back up into the football league and you narrowly avoided relegation the last season the criteria is that you appoint a manager who has the ability and knowledge as a manager from the division or above where you want to get promoted to, not from the division you may finish up playing at if you get relegated again! And that is precisely what happened. It is not rocket science. It is simple professional football management of club and team.

I could continue as there are many factors that have led TUFC to being in the current situation they find themselves in, but I do fear that unless the club acts and acts swiftly, Torquay United will cease to exist as the football club it is now. Another relegation looms on the horizon if this situation is not dealt with, and soon. And being realistic, the standard of this current league is extremely low. National League South? For those who say TUFC do not belong in this division then think again. This is probably the standard the club is now at. And what calibre of player or manager for that matter, would drop down to this level? Players who are at this level of ability cannot get the club out of this division. And neither can the current manager.

I would think everyone can see that.
Hammdog2601
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by Hammdog2601 »

What I am so baffled about is the fact the strikers who performed in the later end of last season were both on loan.

How he thought that our strike force would some how become good blows my mind. He should really have brought a few strikers in at summer but no he kept with the same 3. Don’t think any other manager would do that.