Latest Film You've Seen

General chat about anything else goes here.
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: david graham

Post by chunkygull »

R.I.P.D -Yeah, it was alright, a bit dodgy, not the worst thing I have seen in a while. 6.5/10

Synopsis/Cast/Review/Summary - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0790736/
You are my torquay, my only torquay, you make me happy when skies are grey, you'll never know, just, how much i love you, so don't take my torquay away.
(laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la, - laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la. - la,la,la,la,la, - la,la,la,la....).
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by chunkygull »

Cavemen - Awful, predictable, not much story, tries to rely on snappy dialogue and cool banter but fails dismally. Still not as bad as Cloud Atlas though. 5/10

Synopsis/Cast/Review/Summary - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2378884/?ref_=nv_sr_1

Heartbreak Ridge - I have seen this film loads of times but I hadnt seen it for quite a while. It is so good it is worth a mention. Definitely one of Clints finest. Good story, good performance from Clint Eastwood, some great moments and dialogue. It drags a little near the end but still good. love it. 8/10

Synopsis/Cast/Review/Summary - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0091187/?ref_=nv_sr_2
I remember a while back a couple of us were on another thread saying how we would love to have a football manager equivalent of Gunnery sargeant Highway and compared his first encounter with his marines to said manager meeting the players on first day of pre-season. This clip -

[youtube]6uvF-emJDSI[/youtube]
You are my torquay, my only torquay, you make me happy when skies are grey, you'll never know, just, how much i love you, so don't take my torquay away.
(laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la, - laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la. - la,la,la,la,la, - la,la,la,la....).
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by chunkygull »

Runner Runner - A pretty standard affair, tries to be clever, snappy, slick and smooth. A bit of decent dialogue but more style over substance. Ben Affleck and Justin timberlake put in their usual type of performance, now to be honest I dont mind these two, they have both put in good performances in the past and both are often unfairly criticised. 6.5/10

Anyway, its a look at the corrupt world behind online gambling and the type of gangster your money might go to.

Synopsis/Cast/Review/Summary - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2364841/

Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs - Pretty much more of the same but not as good as the first one, got a bit boring, seen it all before. 6/10

Synopsis/Cast/Review/Summary - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1985966/?ref_=nv_sr_2

Believe - An inspired by a true story fable involving the late great Sir Matt Busby. Over a decade after his retirement Sir Matt played by Brian Cox (no not the weird scientist guy) coaches an under 12's football team to try and help them fulfill their dream of winning the Manchester youth cup. Quite a watchable, nice, likeable film. Probably best enjoyed by Man Utd fans though. 7/10

Synopsis/Cast/Review/Summary - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2009606/?ref_=nv_sr_2
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Expendables 3.

Actually really enjoyed it. Some very funny moments and an excellent cast did it for me. Sure it's corny and not exactly meant to stimulate your intellectual side but good fun and well worth watching.

Wesley Snipes had one of the funniest retorts but I won't spoil it by revealing it here ;-)
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

Some movies are as good as forgotten when the final frames flash by, but these excellent films, which I've just seen again, are moving and thought provoking and stay long in the memory:

[youtube]ZB7HYhUpDz8[/youtube]

[youtube]V-vh2W4qEs4[/youtube]
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by chunkygull »

Guardians Of The Galaxy. - Brilliant! Awesome! 9/10 :) :-D :clap:

Synopsis/Cast/Review/Summary - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2015381/

One of the highest ratings ever on IMDb. A sequel already in the works. A really good comic book movie, definitely one of the better ones. Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes just pips it for film of the year.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

chunkygull wrote:Guardians Of The Galaxy. - Brilliant! Awesome! 9/10 :) :-D :clap:

Synopsis/Cast/Review/Summary - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2015381/

One of the highest ratings ever on IMDb. A sequel already in the works. A really good comic book movie, definitely one of the better ones. Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes just pips it for film of the year.
You're a sad case, Chunky. How old are you..?? =D
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by chunkygull »

39 going on 13. :~D
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by chunkygull »

Taken - I know its a few years old now but I have only just seen it. Very good action thriller starring Liam Neeson about an ex CIA agent who uses his unique skill set to try and rescue his daughter after she is kidnapped by a sex trafficking organisation. A bit different to usual efforts of this genre. 8/10

Synopsis/Cast/Review/Summary - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0936501/?ref_=nv_sr_2

One Chance - I wasnt too fussed about watching this, a biographical film about the first Britains Got Talent winner, Paul Potts.

As Simon Cowell would say "I didnt really like it, I loved It!"

What a really enjoyable, feel good film. Nicely scripted, not too sensationalised or "sexed Up" as many biographies are. A good, likeable performance from James Corden. Made me remember that BGT was actually quite good when it first started and how ideal it was for discovering and giving a chance to people like Paul Potts.

Its quite a simple not too sensational film that is just right to pass a nice, relaxing, easy 100 minutes.
8/10

Synopsis/Cast/Review/Summary - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1196956/

Got a little bit emotional near the end, and also watched back that first Paul Potts audition on youtube.
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by chunkygull »

Escape Plan - Wow, here it is, that moment of magic, something action film fans have been waiting the best part of 30 years for, Sylvester Stallone and Arnold Schwarzenegger starring in a film together.

I was like a little kid on Christmas Eve waiting to watch this after I purchased it the other day, a snip bargain at £2 from a car boot sale, it hasnt been out very long. I really enjoyed it, it was pretty much everything I was expecting, I have been a big fan of these two, especially Stallone since I was about 8 or 9. I have watched highlights of Rocky 2 and 3 hundreds of times, christ knows how many times I watched Terminator 1 and 2 and The Running Man, seen a few films where both these guys knew they had a friendly rivalry going and they both had gentle wink wink little digs at each other in a few of their films.I know they had a brief moment in The Expendables, that was massive enough (i havent seen 2 or 3 yet), but this was their film together.

The film is pretty good, dialogue at times is a bit forced and you cant always make sense of it, but, the plot and pace despite the 2 lead characters being well into their 60's now and past their best is entertaining. I do really love this film, not sure whether its because of how good it is or because of the 2 stars that are in it. I was quite sad near the end because I almost didnt want it to finish, now we finally had these 2 Titans of film onscreen together and it was nearly over, and pretty unlikely we would have this again. It made me wonder why they had never done this years ago, but both were then such big stars and it probably only works now that both are older. Like with The Expendables series, it works having all those action stars on screen together because most are older, their star has faded and they are all past their peak, its a bit nostalgic, plus you would never have got them all in their prime. Its similar to the old days of Hollywood when young actor legends did their films as the only lead then as they got older and the stardust has faded they worked with other legends and combined they were still a big box office draw, i.e - Burt Lancaster, Kirk Douglas.

Synopsis/Cast/Review/Summary - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1211956/

Anyway, its a better film than many of you would think. 8.5/10
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

House of Magic.

An animated cat saves an old house from being bought by strangers.

What more could you ask for?

I took my little one to see this at Chesterfield cineworld and as I'm doing the Paleo diet, I brought in a Tupperware container full of nuts and seeds to munch on instead of remortgaging my house to buy carcinogenic confectionary from the 'candy store' inside. The cinema attendant was quite forthright in informing me that I was forbidden to take in to the auditorium my bottle of water pre bought and my cache of rodent enticing snacks. I just basically said to her, "look love, it's against my human rights to prohibit me from taking in water and it's also against my human rights to prohibit me taking in my glittering selection of pumpkin and sunflower seeds as I'm on a special diet and cannot consume your ghastly concoction of chemical-based multi-coloured sweeties".

She let me in with them.

She either thought I was crazy and didn't want the hassle (part of the cunning plan) or was just on minimum wage and thought, "**** it, I don't get paid enough for this shit - in you go".

Either way I enjoyed the best cartoon cat since Sylvester capering about causing 'mild peril'. Shit hot!!
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

Looking back in time: The Big Trail (1930). An 84-year-old western starring a young John Wayne. And it's a good one:

chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by chunkygull »

Gravity - Not sure if this quite deserved all the hype or acolades it received, but it is a good film. It should be boring, but its not, it is quite short at about 80 minutes, but that is just right. Sandra Bullock gives a decent performance and considering there is virtually only 2 people in the film it is carried well, no mean feat. 8/10

Synopsis/Cast/Review/Summary - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1454468/