torquay united v aldershot town - 2nd october 2012

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

How good is Nathan Craig? Unbelievable Jeff!

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by Glostergull »

Can anyone tell me if any video footage has been uploaded yet and where I can find it. I would love to see our goal and the crowds reaction at the end The scene of Plainmoor really bouncing sounds just great.
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843
MH91
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by MH91 »

A great match report article in the official website!
bengull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Nicholson

Post by bengull »

Torquay United mounted an unbelievable comeback to claim all 3 points on a truly unforgettable wet and windy Tuesday night at Plainmoor.
Looking dead and buried at 3-0 down, The Gulls drew deep into their reserves of resilience and belief to strike 4 times and turn the match
on its head and send the TQ1 faithful home scarcely able to comprehend what they had just witnessed.

Torquay lined up in their familiar 4-5-1 formation and made two enforced changes from Saturday's 1-1 draw atChesterfield. Fit again youngster Nathan Craig replacing Craig Easton in centre midfield, and youth starlet Niall Thompson taking the wide berth from Lloyd Macklin. After a start to the season filled with too
many draws, the Yellow Army were targeting getting back on track in the league at the start of a month that sees 4 home league matches.

Aldershot had made an equally mediocre start to their campaign and like Torquay had only won 2 games thus far, the men from Hampshire rolled up in the English Riviera looking to put Saturday's reverse to York City behind them. They included in their line up ex Torquay United cult hero Guy Branston, whose career has seemingly stagnated since his successful 18 month spell on the south coast which saw him named in the league two team of the season, and win many admirers in the process.

Branston was influential in helping Aldershot take the game to their hosts, entering into an on going duel with Rene Howe and trying to unsettle some ofTorquay's younger contingent with a series of robust challenges. A match punctuated by heavy Aldershot timewasting and niggly fouls saw the away team race into a deserved 2-0 half time lead.

The first was simple in its creation; a free kick from wide left was flicked on by an Aldershot head, and prodded in by the unmarked Craig Reid from barely 6 yards out. It was a sloppy set-piece goal to concede but before the inquest could begin the men in black switched gears and with the lead acting as impetus attacked the Torquay goal time and again. Reid dragged a shot from 18 yards wide, Michael Poke was forced to save smarlly with his feet and the ball catapulted around the Home team box on a couple of occasions as Torquay struggled to get to grips with the driving rain and swirling wind.

The second duly came on 37 minutes when Joe Oastler was adjudged to have manhandled the Aldershot striker to the floor inside the penalty area. Ex premiership referee Stuart Atwell showed little hesitation in pointing to the spot and booking the Torquay right-back for his misdemeanour. Up stepped the effervescent Reid to confidently smash the ball into the bottle left hand corner, giving Michael Poke absolutely no chance despite diving the right way.

It was not all one way traffic in the first half although Torquay's best moments were few and far between. Billy Bodin saw an early half-volley elude the keeper but land the wrong side of the post, Rene Howe struck a powerful drive just over the bar with the keeper beaten and Nathan Craig saw his 20 yard right footed drive beaten away by Jamie Young as United's threat waned as the half wore on. The talk at half time was whether Torquay could use the weather conditions to
their advantage, just as Aldershot had done so expertly in the first half.

If Martin Ling had read the riot act at half time, his instructions looked to have fallen on deaf ears as Reid completed a ruthless hat-trick just 2 minutes after the restart. Pouncing on a rebound after Michael Poke had once more saved with his feet, the Aldershot no.20 wasted no time in striking hard and true into the bottom corner to send the contingent of 80 or so away fans wild, and send some of The Yellow Army to the exits.

At 3-0 the match looked over, and mostly a case of damage limitation. What followed however was a remarkable spell of Football that will have TUFC fans reminiscing for years to come. In a year of sporting underdog stories and comeback heroes Torquay United stepped up to the plate and delivered their own interpretation.

The response was immediate, although low-key. Nathan Craig's speculative 30 yard drive was parried by the keeper into the path of Howe, Howe's mis-hit shot again forced Young into a save, this time his second intervention fell to the loitering Bodin, who slammedthe ball into the net. The
comeback was on although the crowd was yet to be convinced.

United failed to capitalise on this momentum and struggled to sustain the pressure, they were indebted to Michael Poke who pulled off a brilliant stop to deny Reid his fourth, tipping a fierce drive just round the post when it looked for all the world to be nestling in the corner.

With nothing to lose and with time running out, Ling sent on Ryan Jarvis and changed to a conventional 4-4-2 formation, now with Thompson and Bodin
down the wings with constant overlapping support from Full-backs Kevin Nicholson and Joe Oastler. Once again the response was immediate.No sooner than a minute after coming on had the ex Norwich frontman notched his first goal of the season.Billy Bodin released Rene Howe down the left hand edge of the penalty area with a precise through-ball. The popular number 9's pull back was stabbed home by Jarvis from a couple of yards out as the belief that Torquay could salvage something from the game grew around Plainmoor.With 20 minutes left to play Torquay had the ascendency but could they make their
dominance count?

Torquay were now throwing caution to the wind and attacked in waves it was only last ditch defending and some fine goalkeeping that kept the Gulls at bay. Kevin Nicholson very nearly unlocked his cabinet of spectacular goals once more as his clearance on his own 18 yard line deceived the keeper Young with a wicked bounce only for the man in green to backtrack and tip it over the bar.

With 10 minutes of normal time remaining Ling threw on another attacker in the form of Ashley Yeoman for the tiring Niall Thompson. A product of Torquay's youth system, Yeoman has seen his first team opportunities limited in the last two years but he would do his chances of future selection no end of good with an instant impact. The latest in a long line of Torquay corners was laid short to Craig, the pass 10 yards backwards crucially allowed him better whip on his cross, his delivery, as it had been all game, was immaculate, and Yeoman rose highest, and rose first to guide a header into the corner of the net to send TQ1 into a frenzy, and with 5 minutes on the clock there was ony going to be one winner.

With the Yellow Army now in full voice willing their team to cap off one of the all time great lower league comebacks, Torquay surged forwards in search of a winner against a Shellshocked and beleaguered Aldershot team and aptly it was constant menace Rene Howe who would provide it. Again released by Bodin, Torquay's top scorer cut inside and rifled an unstoppable drive into the bottom corner of Young's net at the near post from outside the penalty box to send Plainmoor into scenes of wild celebration.

A most improbable comeback had been completed by a team that just didn't give up. After questions in some corners recently about desire, passion and quality lacking in the squad, Martin Ling's men came up with the perfect response: producing a second half performance as willfull and defiant as any you will see.
stevegull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Bedeau

Post by stevegull »

is anyone else having trouble getting onto the Aldershot forum? I want to snoop.
Maybe one day, Carayol will find London...
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain

Post by Glostergull »

Wow. what a post. It seems i am not the only one who can create the scene so Imaginatively and with such emotion. I almost felt as if i was there. :goodpost:

stevegull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Bedeau

Post by stevegull »

Glostergull wrote:Wow. what a post. It seems i am not the only one who can create the scene so Imaginatively and with such emotion. I almost felt as if i was there. :goodpost:
thanks. :~D
Maybe one day, Carayol will find London...
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain

Post by Glostergull »

stevegull wrote:is anyone else having trouble getting onto the Aldershot forum? I want to snoop.
Yes i am too. I almost wondered if they even had one. But there must be one somewhere.

bengull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Nicholson

Post by bengull »

A few extra thoughts which didnt seem appropriate in a match report.

That was unbelieable, left the ground absolutely speechless, some fans who had been going for 40 plus years could not remember anything like that happening.
And at 3-0 it really was unlikely, we were playing so attrociously poor up to that point, against really poor oppostion. Aldershot will struggle big time this season, although Reid clearly was impressive.

Even when Bodin got the first I didn't think it would amount to anything, I almost told the singers to shut up when they started singing 'we're gonna win 4-3' Happy to be proved wrong.

The positives:

Poke. Horrible conditions for a goalkeeper, could do nothing about all 3 goals and made some decents saves too, including a crucial one at 3-2.

Craig. This boy can play, sublime passing, especially first time, and on the volley. His delivery from wide is deadly and deserve to set up more than the one goal it did. Doesn't waste his shots on target either does he.

Howe. Kept at it, despite provocation from Branno, didn't get fustrated and got his just rewards with an assist and the brilliant crowning glory of a winning goal. His performance was punctuated with touches of classes and I will repeat myself, he is the best striker in the league.

Yeoman and Jarvis. Much maligned recently but showed their worth tonight by making immediate impacts. Might persuade Lingy to give both more pitch time.

Team Spirit. To win the match from the detritus we got ourselves into, every single player deserves their day off tomorrow.

Hopefully the confidence from such an unlikely victory will see us push on in the coming weeks now. Maybe even the catalyst for a march up the table like the 4-0 win against Wimbledon last season.

Some might say the jubilance of completing a 4-3 comeback only papers over the cracks of an abysmal first 47 minutes. I say if the team plays like it did in the last 45 minutes of the match we will be fine, and the answers, like last season, might well prove to be in the building.

I F**king love Football and its just a shame AustrianAndy wasn't there to see it!
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Gulliball »

stevegull wrote:
thanks. :~D
:lol:
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend

Post by ferrarilover »

Glostergull wrote:Can anyone tell me if any video footage has been uploaded yet and where I can find it. I would love to see our goal and the crowds reaction at the end The scene of Plainmoor really bouncing sounds just great.
Sky Sports News will, when they stop **** ing showing the Champions League goals, will have the goals from our division.

Matt.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend

Post by ferrarilover »

stevegull wrote:is anyone else having trouble getting onto the Aldershot forum? I want to snoop.
Yeah, it seems to have crashed. Perhaps one of the techno-nerds can better explain?

Matt.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

I seem to remember from somewhere, though it must have been before my time, that back in the 1960's Torquay beat Lincoln City 4-3, coming back from 0-3 to win a third-round FA Cup tie at Plainmoor..
budleigh
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by budleigh »

Yep, Lincoln City was the last time. In the cup, 3rd round 1970/71. 2nd of Jan in front of over 8,000. Substitute Chris Barnard scoring the winner.
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Modgull »

What a great come back! And what's more we showed that we do have a plan B. Going to 442 was exactly the right response and Ryan Jarvis was first class as Rene Howe's foil up front. What it did was allow Howe to come off his marker(s) and turn with the ball. When he has the ball at his feet and running at defences he is virtually unplayable in those wet conditions.

Credit also to the team and management to resist the temptation to go long when Jarvis went on. This is what Aldershot had done wrong in the first half with many wasted balls trickling into Pokes arms or out for a goal kick. Not that it seemed to have affected their chances of winning the game. Two instances of poor defending gave them a flattering 2 0 lead at half time and a crazy spell at the start of the second half gave them a totally undeserved third.

Oddly enough I never felt we were out of it even at 3 0 because of the conditions. We only needed to play on the deck to nullify Branston's ascendency in the air and we would create plenty of chances. And so it proved.

So well done to all but my biggest well done would be to Joe Oastler. He was having an absolute 'mare but kept trying to take the ball forward instead of mindlessly hacking it upfield and towards the end was a constant threat, keeping Aldershot pinned back.

So, any more future for 442?
Phil

Remember its a marathon not a sprint