Northampton Town v Torquay United - 29/3/13

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

I spoke with Elliot after the York match and asked him the same question. His answer was yes he would be keen to sign. However Southend have a new manager in Brown and when this happens the new guy likes to see all his staff before agreeing to let anyone go.
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Modgull »

I would have him back. Just wish he would stay on his feet more!
Phil

Remember its a marathon not a sprint
cambgull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: All Of Them

Post by cambgull »

Benyon was fantastic last night, he worked hard, hassled defenders and was close to a goal on a couple occasions.

As for ntfcfan, it's certainly interesting how the opposition see the game being quite different. I really don't see how we were negative. There were spells where Northampton were attacking, and (shorter) spells where we attacked. I don't think it's negativity, it's just Northampton had more control of the match. Otherwise, the tactics were the same from both sides. Lump it up to someone tall.

Platt and O'Donovan were certainly causing problems all the time and although I don't remember seeing this lunging tackle, Angus was definitely close to giving away a penalty in the first 10 minutes for holding back O'Donovan in the box after being beaten for pace. Perhaps Downes would have been the better option, except it was Saah who I would've replaced.

As for the singing, we started off well but it did get quiet for a while. The problem I find is that the songs always dwindle off too early, if you don't catch the start of the song, you sing "Come On You Yellows" at maximum twice, and then it's over again. Obviously our fans have no stamina! :whistle:

It was my first away match in several years and I loved every second of it, aside from my Peterborough supporting mate who I dragged along deciding that he wanted to spend the entire game talking. Including a bit towards the end after going 1-0 down, we got a corner, start chanting "Come On You Yelloowwwwwwws" and he goes "So what's the silliest booking you've ever seen?". Whilst in mid-singing, that's quite an off-putting sentence! Here's hoping he doesn't read this!

I did however, thoroughly enjoy singing the "Dirty Northern B*stard" song! Much better banter than any of the Northampton fans gave!

Best of luck for the rest of the season, ntfcfan.
Luke.

"Successful applicants need not apply"
ROADRUNNER
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: clint boulton

Post by ROADRUNNER »

i think elliot will be released from southend as they have financial problems like several others in this league and are looking to offload at the end of the season, again they are living above there means.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

ROADRUNNER wrote:i think elliot will be released from southend as they have financial problems like several others in this league and are looking to offload at the end of the season, again they are living above there means.
Dear Mr RR,

You are such a tease......... :}
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Sponsors of Lirak Hasani, 2024-2025
We now head Due South to all games!

TUST Member 468

Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

ROADRUNNER wrote:i think elliot will be released from southend as they have financial problems like several others in this league and are looking to offload at the end of the season, again they are living above there means.
Ahem... 'there' means 'not here'... 'their' means 'his, her, and its', as in 'their means', if you see what I mean.. Therefore, given the context here, 'their' should be used. Is that clear...? :rules:
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

No need to wait up for 30 seconds highlights on the football league show - here are just over 2 mins of highlights courtesy of Sky Sports. Alas, no mention of the stonewall pen

http://www1.skysports.com/football/live ... 7297/video

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

cambgull wrote:Benyon was fantastic last night, he worked hard, hassled defenders and was close to a goal on a couple occasions.

As for ntfcfan, it's certainly interesting how the opposition see the game being quite different. I really don't see how we were negative. There were spells where Northampton were attacking, and (shorter) spells where we attacked. I don't think it's negativity, it's just Northampton had more control of the match. Otherwise, the tactics were the same from both sides. Lump it up to someone tall.

Platt and O'Donovan were certainly causing problems all the time and although I don't remember seeing this lunging tackle, Angus was definitely close to giving away a penalty in the first 10 minutes for holding back O'Donovan in the box after being beaten for pace. Perhaps Downes would have been the better option, except it was Saah who I would've replaced.

As for the singing, we started off well but it did get quiet for a while. The problem I find is that the songs always dwindle off too early, if you don't catch the start of the song, you sing "Come On You Yellows" at maximum twice, and then it's over again. Obviously our fans have no stamina! :whistle:

It was my first away match in several years and I loved every second of it, aside from my Peterborough supporting mate who I dragged along deciding that he wanted to spend the entire game talking. Including a bit towards the end after going 1-0 down, we got a corner, start chanting "Come On You Yelloowwwwwwws" and he goes "So what's the silliest booking you've ever seen?". Whilst in mid-singing, that's quite an off-putting sentence! Here's hoping he doesn't read this!

I did however, thoroughly enjoy singing the "Dirty Northern B*stard" song! Much better banter than any of the Northampton fans gave!

Best of luck for the rest of the season, ntfcfan.

I didn't!! :red: :lol: (Although Northampton to me are southerners and not northerners =D )

As for the songs, we did our best but there was 250 odd of us there and it was a lot better than i've been part of much of the season. It becomes a more thankless task when we've got 100 or so at some northern dump which are generally the games i tend to go to although i've been Northampton and Wycombe this season. My only criticism of the songs are that they are too repetetive and you count on one hand the number of songs we tend to sing all the time. Could really do with some more me thinks.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
bengull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Nicholson

Post by bengull »

Alright Bob Dylan, we're all ears! Thrill us all with your lyrical flair!

As I recall you tried to start a couple of 'yellow army' chants, could try harder!
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

bengull wrote:Alright Bob Dylan, we're all ears! Thrill us all with your lyrical flair!

As I recall you tried to start a couple of 'yellow army' chants, could try harder!

Better than stood there passive whilst trying to consume a spinal column in a robust pastry casing. :na: :lol:
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
bengull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Nicholson

Post by bengull »

I liked your gloves though, thought you northerners were hard as nails and not wet like us southern softies who didn't happen to be wearing gloves. I'm still alive, the spinal column passed its one and only test!
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

bengull wrote:I liked your gloves though, thought you northerners were hard as nails and not wet like us southern softies who didn't happen to be wearing gloves. I'm still alive, the spinal column passed its one and only test!
We are but it was f*cking freezing!!!
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

ntfcfan wrote:Hello all, Cobblers fan in peace.

First off, about the ref, I thought he was bad for both teams. You say about a penalty you could have had for a foul on Benyon, but we also could have had a couple of penalties for fouls on Clive Platt, who was a trouble for Angus M at the back. You also mention a foul where your keeper was flattened and then Howe booked for a similar tackle, Howe was guilty of a forearm smash to Lee Nicholl's face so it was a bit different.

Thought we were the better team because you were just so negative. Only started playing after we scored, and you threatened us after that, and would have got a point if you'd have started like that. We had the better chances, hitting the post etc. and a disallowed goal, which was a close call. Your goal was a massive offside so you can't complain with that one. Thought Benyon was a little s*** up front all night, played well.

Thought Poke took 3 hours for every restart and the referee actually helped you in that regard, because it seemed every offence committed (both teams) warranted a 15 minute chat each time. Anyway, you lot will be fine if you play like that, good luck for the rest of the season.

Also, credit to that excellent following of 250+ on a barsteward of a trip. Thought you lot were strangely muted though.

The lunging, over the top challenge mentioned, was that committed by our winger, 50 yards away from where you were sat Brucie?
Agreed with all of that. Whoever decided to put MacDonald on Platt was having a laugh, we were lucky to be 0-0 at half time, there was a borderline pen on Platt in the first half although he was backing in a lot, ref probably thought they were both at it, could have been given though. MacDonald was completely bullied and schooled by the big man and we were fortunate he went off at half time.

Also agreed on when we started playing although I'd put it slightly earlier, we were just getting on top and then Northampton scored. We threw the kitchen sink at it then and if we'd done that earlier we may have won, I felt we showed them a bit too much respect.

What it highlighted to me though is just how fine the margins are in this league, there's no way you could have watched that game and said one team is top 3 the other bottom 3, there was little in the game but as seems to happen (it did for us a lot last year) the team at the top finds a way to win with either a moment of quality or bit of luck. Northampton got both in a) the stonewall foul on Benyon and b) the bit of play and cross on the right hand side for the goal.

Purely selfish reasons I'm hoping Northampton stay down and we stay up because it's an hour from us and I always enjoy going there even though we never win.