Newport v Torquay United. 28/09/2013

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
exilegull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by exilegull »

brucie wrote: Thompson is equally as good if not better than Cameron but never gets a look in. He has been shipped out on loan, scored on his debut and is now cup tied. The Worcester fans were raving about him.
I'm sorry but Thompson isn't as good. I saw him make his debut and he played very well - however all he really has is a lot of pace. At home, when the team is on top that can be very useful but he hasn't a lot of trickery, his decision making is poor and his final product is too often disappointing. When we're in a battle away from home he too often gives the ball away and an experienced fullback can quite easily nullify the threat by just showing into the corner - he too often runs into a blind alley. He could still develop into a useful league 2 winger and I think the loan spell at BSN level is right for him but I'm pretty sure most people who want to see him in the team do so because we all have a bias for homegrown youngsters and are for more willing to overlook their shortcomings and think they are the next big thing.

Its not to say that Cameron is the finished article but he has more in his locker at this stage than Thompson.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Hector - now now. We all have a responsibility for care in the community. Losing at the likes of Newport, Rochdale and at home to Oxford do not count as defeats because we were obviously not "properly beaten". In fact it was quite unsporting of Oxford to take shots at our goal - i mean thats cheating isn't it.
Actually we only lost by one goal today so as we had the majority of the play in the second half it clearly doesn't count that we lost and as we were the better team we should really be awarded the three points (or at least on planet la la where gullinwotplaces lives)
In fact Xmas will be soon be upon us and gullinwotplaces will be taking up employment as the rear end of a pantomime horse.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Present prognosis for Downer is 3-6 weeks. I've heard 3 months, but that might not be right.

Breedy was sh*tting himself before the match today, quite rightly for my money. Give him a while and he'll sort himself out.

Surely playing Lathrope to cover a poor Nico and out of position Cruise is something for which Knill should be praised rather than criticised?
Good to hear that Knill didn't yank Chappell on the basis of perceived performance.
Often in football, being excellent and collecting points do not automatically come together.
Knill doesn't doubt Thompson's quality.
I don't think going behind with 15 to go, then a bloke hitting two in three minutes with your only shots on target really counts as a "game-plan".

No need to be too worried, we look a decent side more often than not now, we have some easier games coming up (on paper, at least) and it's all starting to click.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
cambgull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: All Of Them

Post by cambgull »

ferrarilover wrote:* you know, maybe there's a difference between the black guys and the white fellows in terms of speed?
Well it is scientifically proven, you feckin' racist.

For all the negative posts, there are certainly positives here. Once again, another game where we have played well but it's been our failure to take our chances which lets us down, I'd rather have that than have one chance all match and hope it goes in. I just have a good feeling that one day, things will click and we will utterly annihilate someone, perhaps like the Shrewsbury game a few seasons ago. After that, I think we have as good a chance as any for a rise up the league table.

I'd also like to add that after 6 games, we only had 1 less point than Man Utd currently do. They're obviously getting relegated this season.
Luke.

"Successful applicants need not apply"
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Yeah, losing 1-0 in a tight game against Rochdale is exactly the same as getting a lesson from Fleetwood. Load of old shite, Hector, the sort of crap I'd expect of someone who'd been watching football for about a week.

It's got **** all to do with Knill. We could have Sir Brian Clough-Ferguson here and we'd still only have been beaten properly once this year.

There's more to a game of football than the result, if there wasn't, people wouldn't bother going to watch, they'd just read the results in the Sunday papers.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
cambgull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: All Of Them

Post by cambgull »

ferrarilover wrote:There's more to a game of football than the result, if there wasn't, people wouldn't bother going to watch, they'd just read the results in the Sunday papers.
Isn't that what most of the whingers on this forum do?
Luke.

"Successful applicants need not apply"
Dutchgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Dutchgull »

Brucie & Hector....

Just to reassure me and possibly the rest of us why do you bother with Torquay Utd ?

As the only thing either of you post is to moan criticise and generally knock the club,manager, players at every opportunity I wonder what kind of perverse pleasure you get from spouting your drivel ?

As I now know Hectors real identity I am not too surprised as you used to moan and continually have ago when Mr Bateson was in charge. Same old crap year after year after year from you. Do I have to remind you that this is Torquay United and not Manchester United ? Oh dear even they are not winning every game !!! So please GET REAL!

Everybody is entitled to their opinion but the stuff that you guys spout is both negative and pathetic.

We are a small club run on a shoestring budget and unlike clubs such as Exeter Plymouth Portsmouth etc etc we have never gone into administration the club is being run in the right way but for some reason you expect us to perform fecking miracles on no money.

What do you realistically expect from Torquay United ??

For once try thinking about it before posting more drivel.....
gullintwoplaces
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by gullintwoplaces »

brucie wrote:Hector - now now. We all have a responsibility for care in the community. Losing at the likes of Newport, Rochdale and at home to Oxford do not count as defeats because we were obviously not "properly beaten". In fact it was quite unsporting of Oxford to take shots at our goal - i mean thats cheating isn't it.
Actually we only lost by one goal today so as we had the majority of the play in the second half it clearly doesn't count that we lost and as we were the better team we should really be awarded the three points (or at least on planet la la where gullinwotplaces lives)
In fact Xmas will be soon be upon us and gullinwotplaces will be taking up employment as the rear end of a pantomime horse.
Brucie, as the rear end of a pantomime horse my backside would be talking more sense after a good curry than you ever do from either a keyboard or, presumably (as I am not sure I have met you) from your very big mouth. You amd your little mate Hector are a disgrace, you see fit to comment in detail on games that you don't go to and neither of you can ever see good in a performance. What on earth are you doing calling yourselves "fans"? I have been SUPPORTING my team since 1964, critical at times but realistic enough to know that the club has to live within its means. No manager has ever been good enough for you (and, it seems, Hector), no player is good enough for you, no chairman is good enough for you and no tactics are ever right. We have good times and bad times at Plainmoor, that is what we expect. This season has been largely disappointing SO FAR (with a few bright spots), but it is only September and we have some very decent players. Knill has my full support, he has been in post for less than six months, we are not Chelsea and cannot afford to pay off managers after a few defeats. Why the hell do you and Hector bother?
gullintwoplaces
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by gullintwoplaces »

yellowmonkey wrote:He's had a whole summer to assemble his squad with a larger budget than some of the more succesful teams in our division.
This uninformed off the cuff comment is typical of the more idiotic statements on this forum. Details please, just what is our budget compared to the "successful" teams? How much is our budget, AFC Wimbledon's budget etc?
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Where have I suggested that we pay off the manager - I havn't actually.
As for steve Breed - it may have been his first game but if you were at the game and didn't take in the commentary it was truly terrible.
I switched on the car radio and within the first five minutes he must have given the score as "Newport nil Torquay United 1" at least half a dozen times.
Then Newport apparently scored two goals all of a sudden which he must have missed.
Its Pearce with the ball,Pearce,Pearce,Pearce,Pearce,Pearce,Pearce,Pearce.
Azeez twisting and turning,Azeeeez,Azeeeez,Azeeeez,Azeeeeeez.
Bodin in the area,Bodin,Bodin,Bodin,Bodin,Bodin,Bodin,Bodin,Bodin,Bodin - thats a penalty ref, no he's booked him for diving - I can't see theres a post in the way.
Really it was a fecking calamity.
TeenageGull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Chris Zebroski

Post by TeenageGull »

Pearce nearly didnt play either due to illness , that would of been bad
paigull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by paigull »

I hardly ever post, preferring to read what other fans have written, but i'm afraid i've got a bit wound up by comments made about Steve Breeds commentary yesterday. Give the guy a break will you! It was obviously his first time doing the commentary, you've got to give him a chance! At least he had the courage to do it. I, for one, wouldn't have known where to start. At least we had commentary which is better than nothing & at least we all know he's a passionate supporter. I also thought he was gaining confidence as the game went on into the 2nd half.

All I can say is well done Steve & I'm sure it will improve the more games you do.
supergulls
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Aaron Downes

Post by supergulls »

paigull wrote:
All I can say is well done Steve & I'm sure it will improve the more games you do.
Now come and eat your breakfast love mum :lol:
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Ha Ha - if he was gaining confidence in the second half god knows what he was like in the first half then. If you consistently don't know what the score is in the game then I would suggest that you have no hope.
If I had looked at the score on my mobile phone instead of turning the radio on then at least I would have known we were losing and not winning. He is good at summarising the game but if he does another game I am switching off!
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

Brucie and Hector are right; they've been around long enough to see and understand the warning signs (which have been apparent since the Wimbledon game). I much prefer to read their analyses than those comments offered by teenagers and students.