Torquay United v York City - 5/10/13

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
usagullmichigan
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by usagullmichigan »

ferrarilover wrote:Please don't tell me you're stupid enough to fall for the Hector line that the Board appointed Knill because some arseholes on the Internet said they should.

Matt.
Not stupid Matt, just know Martin was supposed to be coming back and was under the impression he still had a job. I don't know what your affiliation to the board is currently but you seem so in the know all of a sudden.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

wodger of awabia wrote: Well if that's all it costs it would be money well spent to get rid of the clown & get a manager who knows what he is doing, it may even cost less if the new manager decided to keep Chris Brass & train him up.
What is it with you and "training people up?" This isn't **** ing McDonald's, there's no Torquay United Assistant Manager Training Programme. You don't get to do three days at Head Office and wear a differently coloured shirt to work to signify that you've "done the course".

It might well be money well spent in your opinion, but it's also money we don't have in fact and, as important as your mum told you your opinion was, it can't magic up fifty or sixty grand to spunk on sacking a bloke and appointing this mysterious heroic manager you lot seem to think is just sitting at home, twiddling his thumbs waiting for Thea Bristow to ring and offer him the much sought after Torquay United job.

A lot of people here need a healthy dose of reality.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

supergulls wrote:It's pretty common knowledge that the club just had to pay Martin and Sean's severance package that was around 100k and it is also common knowledge that the club has been making staff redundant, that doesn't happen if you have thousands laying around in the bank.

Is it?

First I've heard of it.
rooster
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Bodin

Post by rooster »

Could always apologise and ask Lingy to come back lol...............
rooster
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by rooster »

ferrarilover wrote:Hahaha, that's a lovely option. Ling was sacked because his illness made it impossible for him to continue. Keeping Ling became impossible, a risk we couldn't take. We HAD to find appoint someone new.

Matt.
I toought it was for footballing reasons..........lol
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

We lost 3-0 at home to York without any centre halves. We still have Billy Bodin playing and not scoring too so it's extenuating circumstances. 50% Knills fault and 25% bad luck and 25% crap players. Not the end of the world. Move on to Wycombe and let's see if we can get something there all.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend

Post by ferrarilover »

Speaking of McDonald's... Lol

For ****'s sake!

Matt.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend

Post by ferrarilover »

Christ, I just had a look on the York forum. They're convinced they were a good side and that they beat us because they were good, rather than us being as bad as we were.

Good news lads, if that was a good York performance, we can wave goodbye to them and Accrington come May and we'll be safe. They were bloody hopeless. If we hadn't collapsed as spectacularly as we did, they could still be out there now and they wouldn't have scored.

Sorry York, but it's true.

Matt.
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

So if it wasn't seen as a move to placate and appease supporters, just what was it that persuaded the board not to consider alternatives to Knill, not to advertise the position? You try to give an impression of someone who is in the know? Just what was it that made the board forgo normal recruitment protocol and go for Knill?

A question for you also?

You are chairman of a football club that could be facing relegation to the non-league with all the hefty loss of revenue streams that entails? You think you cannot afford to sack your poorly performing and hastily appointed manager. Do you risk your league future and future revenue by persisting with him?
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

We're not facing relegation to the non league though Hector. In another 10 games we could be in a play off spot, unlikely but entirely possible. I'm not happy at all with what is happening on the pitch and I have huge concerns but to be talking relegation now is insanity.

If we are floating around the bottom come January then let's talk but Knill has to be given that opportunity to turn it around. It's nowhere near panic stations yet, we're a million miles away but we do have to see some improvements and we have to see them soon.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
wodger of awabia
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Carol Vorderman..eh?

Post by wodger of awabia »

ferrarilover wrote: What is it with you and "training people up?" This isn't f**k ing McDonald's, there's no Torquay United Assistant Manager Training Programme. You don't get to do three days at Head Office and wear a differently coloured shirt to work to signify that you've "done the course".

It might well be money well spent in your opinion, but it's also money we don't have in fact and, as important as your mum told you your opinion was, it can't magic up fifty or sixty grand to spunk on sacking a bloke and appointing this mysterious heroic manager you lot seem to think is just sitting at home, twiddling his thumbs waiting for Thea Bristow to ring and offer him the much sought after Torquay United job.

A lot of people here need a healthy dose of reality.

Matt.
Well I would have thought that it would have been self evident, he has been trained by Knill so he will need to be completely re-trained, & instructed how to do things properly!
You have still not explained how you have such a comprehensive knowledge of the clubs finances, I suspect that you are just guessing.
TufcHills
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Karl Hawley

Post by TufcHills »

Matts having a fling with Thea, keeps him in the know about everything so he can belittle us on here ;-)
wodger of awabia
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Carol Vorderman..eh?

Post by wodger of awabia »

:goodpost:
TufcHills wrote:Matts having a fling with Thea, keeps him in the know about everything so he can belittle us on here ;-)
rooster
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by rooster »

hector wrote:So if it wasn't seen as a move to placate and appease supporters, just what was it that persuaded the board not to consider alternatives to Knill, not to advertise the position? You try to give an impression of someone who is in the know? Just what was it that made the board forgo normal recruitment protocol and go for Knill?

A question for you also?

You are chairman of a football club that could be facing relegation to the non-league with all the hefty loss of revenue streams that entails? You think you cannot afford to sack your poorly performing and hastily appointed manager. Do you risk your league future and future revenue by persisting with him?
The whole process was sinister at best..............but whatever it was it hasn't worked, i'm not sure what the exact stats are but so far including last season and various cup competitions it isn't that good............at least Ling played within capability of team he had, might of been boring but with limited budget what can a manager do.
Not sure what answer is now, I suppose to hope beyond hope that he has a miraculous change of luck and things improve but it doesn't sound like a happy ship, anywhere at the moment :-(
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

AustrianAndyGull wrote:We're not facing relegation to the non league though Hector. In another 10 games we could be in a play off spot, unlikely but entirely possible. I'm not happy at all with what is happening on the pitch and I have huge concerns but to be talking relegation now is insanity.

If we are floating around the bottom come January then let's talk but Knill has to be given that opportunity to turn it around. It's nowhere near panic stations yet, we're a million miles away but we do have to see some improvements and we have to see them soon.
You obviously haven't been watching TUFC for as long as I have. Sometimes the writing is on the wall but people just do not want to read it.

I actually do not think Knill will last long. It just has that feeling, almost, of an interim manager. I can't see him being a fixture here in the way Tisdale is at Exeter or even how I thought Ling would be before his 'illness' claimed him. I would imagine that by half way through next season someone else will be picking the team. I don't think Knill connects with supporters and by the sounds of it, the players. His credentials as a manager, judging by the comments at Plainmoor yesterday, appear to be espoused by a minority. The majority are probably non-plussed and wouldn't care if he went or stayed.