Who will it be? - Chris Hargreaves NEW MANAGER

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by stefano »

It probably does not matter who it is. The club are in the relegation zone without a manager. Forget the January transfer window. We have to pay off the ex-manager. The players we have on loan will go back to their clubs, Mozika who is on a week to week contract will leave, we will recall our out on loan players breaking the hearts of supporters of clubs like Bideford and Swindon Submarine, and players who should have been on their way during the January window (freeing up a fair bit of cash as they are the most highly paid) will dig their heels in and will still be here in May. The club will probably be relegated well before May in any case so I don't suppose it really matters.
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

Sturrock as DoF and Hargreaves as First Team coach / Manager

Yes please! (although very unlikely I know!)
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
sam_
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Angus MacDonald

Post by sam_ »

One issue with Greavsie, is two of his good mates are still in the squad, wonder if that would have an affect, or would it push Nicholson and Mansell into coaching/player roles?
We'll be back...
Behind-the-Gulls
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Behind-the-Gulls »

We've now had ten managers in less than 8 years since Leroy left-this suggests major underlying problems at Board level that must be addressed if we are to give the new incumbent(however it maybe) any chance of moving the club forward. The question is will the Board realise something has to be done to deal with these off-field issues and will they have the courage to tackle these problems head-on. Who will instigate the neccessary actions that need to be taken? It won't be pleasant and there is likely to be some major fall-outs,resignations and redundancies;but unless someone's brave enough to take the initiative the club will lurch from one crisis to another in my opinion.
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

sam_ wrote:One issue with Greavsie, is two of his good mates are still in the squad, wonder if that would have an affect, or would it push Nicholson and Mansell into coaching/player roles?
Agree it could be an issue but also I could be the exact thing we need at the moment - some team spirit which seems to have been very lacking under Knill's guidance.

If this duo where put in place and they could get the blend right in terms of team unity and also leadership it could be a very productive relationship. Great experience and great enthusiasm can only be a good thing.
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
goldenblue
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Tommy Mitchinson

Post by goldenblue »

Helen Chamberlain 500-1 sky bet
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

Mr. Behind is right. What is required is firm, perhaps dictatorial, leadership. Equally, the new managerial appointee should be willing and able to impose firm leadership. In the latter case, of course, this should be a part of his footballing make-up: he should be well qualified (in a footballing/coaching sense) and able to control and dominate - but not alienate - the troops.
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by stefano »

wivelgull wrote:Mr. Behind is right. What is required is firm, perhaps dictatorial, leadership. Equally, the new managerial appointee should be willing and able to impose firm leadership. In the latter case, of course, this should be a part of his footballing make-up: he should be well qualified (in a footballing/coaching sense) and able to control and dominate - but not alienate - the troops.
Winston Churchill?
Behind-the-Gulls
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Behind-the-Gulls »

stefano wrote: Winston Churchill?
Instead of fighting them on the beaches though-we'll train them there instead!
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

stefano wrote:It probably does not matter who it is. The club are in the relegation zone without a manager. Forget the January transfer window. We have to pay off the ex-manager. The players we have on loan will go back to their clubs, Mozika who is on a week to week contract will leave, we will recall our out on loan players breaking the hearts of supporters of clubs like Bideford and Swindon Submarine, and players who should have been on their way during the January window (freeing up a fair bit of cash as they are the most highly paid) will dig their heels in and will still be here in May. The club will probably be relegated well before May in any case so I don't suppose it really matters.
That's rather negative, Stef ! You may well be proved right about the loanees, both in and out, but there are many on this Forum, and I am one of them, who feel that the players at the club are better than our league position. I am optimistic with the right person in charge who will change the team formation - and use substitutes more effectively - we can move away from the relegation places.
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by stefano »

tomogull wrote: That's rather negative, Stef ! You may well be proved right about the loanees, both in and out, but there are many on this Forum, and I am one of them, who feel that the players at the club are better than our league position. I am optimistic with the right person in charge who will change the team formation - and use substitutes more effectively - we can move away from the relegation places.
I hope you are right. I just think our club is in a lot more turmoil than we wish to imagine and do not think the fix is as straightforward as changing the manager (again!).
Phipsy
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Nico

Post by Phipsy »

It now seems we want Hargreaves!
Problem is so do N orthampton. He is being interviewed at the Cobblebrs today.
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by stefano »

Phipsy wrote:It now seems we want Hargreaves!
Problem is so do Northampton. He is being interviewed at the Cobblebrs today.
... and don't include me in the 'we'! ;-)

Thanks for your playing days Mr Hargreaves, but please go to Northampton.
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

Behind-the-Gulls wrote:We've now had ten managers in less than 8 years since Leroy left-this suggests major underlying problems at Board level that must be addressed if we are to give the new incumbent(however it maybe) any chance of moving the club forward. The question is will the Board realise something has to be done to deal with these off-field issues and will they have the courage to tackle these problems head-on. Who will instigate the neccessary actions that need to be taken? It won't be pleasant and there is likely to be some major fall-outs,resignations and redundancies;but unless someone's brave enough to take the initiative the club will lurch from one crisis to another in my opinion.
Eh?
The current board, even if you say they have been in charge since the takeover from Bateson (which a lot of them haven't) have had a successful Buckle who moved on to bigger(!) and better(!) things and a successful Ling who had his illness. The only really mistake they could be accused of making was appointing Knill permanently without seeking other candidates.
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

sam_ wrote:One issue with Greavsie, is two of his good mates are still in the squad, wonder if that would have an affect, or would it push Nicholson and Mansell into coaching/player roles?
No need both are good enough if played right, even if Nico is coming to the end of his career he's got comething to prove. We will now see the players who played for themselves leave, as they could have had no feeling for the club if they had the choice to stay. :-/