Can We Make the Play Offs?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
standupsitdown
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by standupsitdown »

In the very unlikely event that we make the play offs we'll be on an incredible run of form and have beaten several top teams to get there, in which case I think we'd have as good a chance of anyone of winning them.
Such a long shot though.
Say it's 30-1 for 7th, then 3 games at say evens, that's 240-1. And probably in reality longer odds than that.
Wolborough
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Wolborough »

We would need a miracle to get to the playoffs! Sadly TUFC doesn’t do miracles!
standupsitdown
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by standupsitdown »

Wolborough wrote: 05 Apr 2022, 18:50 We would need a miracle to get to the playoffs! Sadly TUFC doesn’t do miracles!
We've had a few to avoid relegation over the years.
Admiral
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Admiral »

standupsitdown wrote: 05 Apr 2022, 20:21 We've had a few to avoid relegation over the years.
Ian Atkins comes to mind.

Not that it means we're any closer to 7th, but the eternal optimist would say Dagenham 0-0 Boreham Wood and Kings Lynn 1-0 Bromley is a good night for us.

Boreham Wood, Dagenham and Bromley are all on poor form, shame it's not Grimsby! :-o
standupsitdown
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by standupsitdown »

I was just going to post the same.
I think 8th place is now quite achievable as the three teams above us are showing poor form.
If only Grimsby would go on a bad run.
Admiral
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by Admiral »

Anyone know how long we've been 11th? Must be some kind of club record (bar 1st)
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

I don't think my post was a bit 'strong' at all, none of us can guarantee how the season is going to end , we could win all our remaining match's, could just as easily lose them all, so all our posts are predictions, forecasts mine included of opinions not fact, hence why I clearly said ' in my belief' the season would end in abject failure, I hope my opinion is wrong, from game game one till now our team has never been in genuine play-off contention, if my opinion is correct, we would not have just missed out on the play-offs, we'd have missed out by a mile.

Our recruitment at the seasons start wasn't good enough, through out the season it's not been good enough, not blaming Johnson fully for that, but got to question what scouting network we have, when the best hidden gem from below we've found, is Joe Felix, not wishing to be personal, just as well, have signed Felix the cat.

Our team has lacked part from when Armstrong was here, mobility and physicality up front, we've lacked pace out wide. Our team is predictable, and easy to neutralise for the better teams in the division, isolate Wright, pin the full backs in, render CLE and Little ineffective , yes we have quality that sets us above most teams around the bottom 7-9 teams.

Forgive if I've made a mistake went through the results very quickly, but our record as I see it against the current top 7 stands at; W 2 D3 L5 goals for 10 against 13

Our record against the current bottom stands at W 10 D2 L 4 goals for 31 against 15

This is the evidence as to why we're not challenging in the play-off zone right now, and why I've formed the opinion that I have, 4 of our remaining fixtures are against top 7 teams, historically we've not done well against all season ( of course that doesn't mean a thing ) we also have to go away to a resurgent Woking side, and have the arch bogey side Eastleigh to play.

So it's to Johnson and the squad to go out and prove me wrong isn't it.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Bang average mid table side like I've said for some time.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

Doesn't say much, well not recently, but the voice of reality in eleven words.
Admiral
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by Admiral »

We've finished our last 12 games (since Altrincham away, 22nd Jan) in 11th place. Consistency.
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

forevertufc wrote: 06 Apr 2022, 16:17 Our team is predictable, and easy to neutralise for the better teams in the division, isolate Wright, pin the full backs in, render CLE and Little ineffective , yes we have quality that sets us above most teams around the bottom 7-9 teams.
"better teams"

We've beaten the runaway leaders.
Taken 4 points off the millionaires in second.
Haven't been beaten by either of the other two 'monied' sides (Notts & Chesterfield).

Solihull have beaten us twice, as have Halifax, but I don't know how many people expected them to be as good as they have been this season.

Our record against the 'good' teams isn't what's cost us this season, as was the case last time around. It's only taking a point versus Barnet over two games - when they're getting hammered seemingly almost every week. It's being unable to beat teams when 2 goals up (Dagenham and yes, Barnet again). It's losing the first two home games of a season, conceding 7 goals along the way, against teams that are...middling on a good day.

We really haven't been that far away from being comfortably in the playoffs. Our recruitment was lacking, in hindsight, but I think we had a right to expect more from both Lolos and Holman up front this season, and it's been scoring goals where we've been underwhelming (our defence mostly having been improved since the first few games). Easy to talk about if and buts, of course, but if we'd been able to keep Armstrong beyond January I have no doubt we'd have been top 6 easily.

Ah well. we'll keep going till the end of the season. I don't expect us in the playoffs now, but of course we should be trying to get there for as long as its still mathematically possible. If that miracle happens, then it's 3 games away from the football league. I'd have taken that from the start of the season, and if anybody can navigate us through that minefield, it'd be Gary Johnson.

If we're here next season (98% certain in my view), let's make damn sure we use the additional time to bring in good players to replace those that haven't done it for us, and go again next season. (when, hopefully, the 2 biggest spending clubs will have gone)
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
Admiral
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by Admiral »

happytorq wrote: 06 Apr 2022, 21:39 "better teams"

We've beaten the runaway leaders.
Taken 4 points off the millionaires in second.
Haven't been beaten by either of the other two 'monied' sides (Notts & Chesterfield).

Solihull have beaten us twice, as have Halifax, but I don't know how many people expected them to be as good as they have been this season.

Our record against the 'good' teams isn't what's cost us this season, as was the case last time around. It's only taking a point versus Barnet over two games - when they're getting hammered seemingly almost every week. It's being unable to beat teams when 2 goals up (Dagenham and yes, Barnet again). It's losing the first two home games of a season, conceding 7 goals along the way, against teams that are...middling on a good day.

We really haven't been that far away from being comfortably in the playoffs. Our recruitment was lacking, in hindsight, but I think we had a right to expect more from both Lolos and Holman up front this season, and it's been scoring goals where we've been underwhelming (our defence mostly having been improved since the first few games). Easy to talk about if and buts, of course, but if we'd been able to keep Armstrong beyond January I have no doubt we'd have been top 6 easily.

Ah well. we'll keep going till the end of the season. I don't expect us in the playoffs now, but of course we should be trying to get there for as long as its still mathematically possible. If that miracle happens, then it's 3 games away from the football league. I'd have taken that from the start of the season, and if anybody can navigate us through that minefield, it'd be Gary Johnson.

If we're here next season (98% certain in my view), let's make damn sure we use the additional time to bring in good players to replace those that haven't done it for us, and go again next season. (when, hopefully, the 2 biggest spending clubs will have gone)
:goodpost:
Steve_TUFC
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Steve_TUFC »

:goodpost: :goodpost:
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Well 'bang average mid table side ' over the whole season maybe but not now, our improved form over the second half suggests a lot better than that with 35 points from 18 games so I think the management should get credit for turning it around pretty spectacularly.
DerekDawkinsJnr
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by DerekDawkinsJnr »

desperado wrote: 07 Apr 2022, 08:23 Well 'bang average mid table side ' over the whole season maybe but not now, our improved form over the second half suggests a lot better than that with 35 points from 18 games so I think the management should get credit for turning it around pretty spectacularly.
for sure - last 18games we've been in great form. need to keep that momentum going and not have a weak start to next season. think that's our realistic target.