Pre-Season Friendly

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Markh84
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Brendan Moore

Post by Markh84 »

Kellerman is a highly rated midfielder from Wolves. He was part of their academy team and signed a one year pro contract last month. I imagine we will be looking to sign him on loan. No deal for him has been completed as yet.
Bloggy
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Bloggy »

Couple of questions.
Was the trialist Malachi Lavelle-Moore (Macclesfield Town) who came on for Briscoe? Or was it Pierce Mitchell (Bristol Rovers)?
How did Nathan Smith do?
SteveDeckchair
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Sir Alex Russell
Watches from: Pop side

Post by SteveDeckchair »

Definitely the Malachi fellow. Nathan Smith did very well in my opinion. Assured and solid for such a young lad against a much bigger opposite player.

Butler was very good defensively, not so much going forward. Nice to see our midfield closing them down and getting stuck in. I thought all three in the middle did a good job. If we sign the Kellerman, that's the midfield starters for me. We lacked a target man up front and our wing play needs developing.

Regards Exodus, he's a big brute of a centre back. Just what we need. Sure he's not going to win any awards for speed, but he got back a couple of times to make a challenge when seemingly beaten by pace.

Overall, we were organised and disciplined. Am positive about the season now after last night.
Mmmmmm, beeeeeeeer.
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

I'm sure I saw yesterday that we had signed Kellerman on an initial three month loan. What sort of midfielder is he? Tough-tackling hard man I hope! But having only really played at U-21 level this seems unlikely given it's reputation for having zero tackling. Heres hoping...
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
SBP
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by SBP »

My take of last nights performance.

IMO PC has started with sorting out our defensive shape making us very difficult to break down with playing 5 across the back. Last night Courtney Richards played at right back and did a good job considering. The new young lad from Port Vale played extremely well and alongside Gus and Exodus makes a solid defence. Whatever pace Exodus is lacking its made up for by Gus and the new lad.
Offensively when Hurst is back fit i can see him and Butler providing a good source of width going forward. In open play Argle didnt really trouble us and our defence coped very well. From set pieces we need to do better, Argle had several free headers and should have done better.

Our midfield last night played very well. We looked strong in the tackle, great attitude and work rate. If i had to be critical our final ball was lacking and that needs to improve.

Our forwards last night struggled to create much to be fair. They worked hard enough but never really forced their keeper into action. I think Briscoes fitness and work rate is improving and is alot closer to where he SHOULD be. Marsh couldnt really get into the game, when he did have an opportunity after rounding the keeper he shot wide when it looked easier to score.

I feel far more confident in what we are doing with Paul Cox. He has a plan and to start with its making us defensively secure and i agree with this. Next he will have to think about us offensively.

We ve done very well in our recent games against higher league opposition and considering our budget and whats happened PC has done a good job.
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

Speak to Pulis, Allardyce or Murinho - you always need to sort the defence first, get that done and build on it going forwards.

Was the ex-Argyle centre-back involved last night? (Jamie Richards I think?)
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
SBP
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by SBP »

PhilGull wrote:Speak to Pulis, Allardyce or Murinho - you always need to sort the defence first, get that done and build on it going forwards.

Was the ex-Argyle centre-back involved last night? (Jamie Richards I think?)
Cant recall him being used last night
Yellow army 1
New Signing
New Signing
Favourite player: Briscoe

Post by Yellow army 1 »

Going on last nights game we really need a *Target man* to play alongside Fairhurst IMO he's the best striker at the club and hopefully we can wheel and deal and loan in a striker from the higher leagues as I don't think yeoman is up to it and i will reserve judgement on Marsh
Tq2Yellow
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Derek Dawkins

Post by Tq2Yellow »

Defensively we looked good and despite Exodus' lack of speed there were a couple of occasions where he turned on the pace to make important tackles in the box.
Midfield was good, lots of snapping at heels in the tackle and have to say there was a lot of pack mentality around opposition players when they had the ball which managed to retrieve the ball back on numerous occasions.
Up front we were decidedly light and is where we need to look for next in the transfer market when trialists don't get offered contracts higher up. Lots of pressing by the forwards though as another positive.
Good performance!!
:keepie: :goal: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf:
+Gdog8
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Luke young

Post by +Gdog8 »

We do need a target man must be a priority for PC, thought Angus played well last in defence and Luke Young was outstanding playing in the hole behind front two , lot of effort from all the team last night against a very organise Plymouth
:scarf: :whistle:
JT_GULL
New Signing
New Signing
Favourite player: Tim Sills

Post by JT_GULL »

Few thoughts on the Argyle friendly

Back 3 looked a good combination pace, height and experience. Feel free to choose them in whatever order.

Lacked that killer instinct in the final 3rd tonight, bit harsh to criticize marsh IMO because he had very little service against a well drilled argyle back line. Midfield looked filled with youth and exuberance.

Thought Lavercombe looks good every time I see him play and unlucky for the goal. Not sure about Spiess so far?!?

Butler played well again.

Plenty to build on. COYY.
yellowforever
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Our next signing

Post by yellowforever »

Thought I'd chime in with my thoughts on the Argyle game.

I thought overall we played ok, and made ourselves tough to break down with them only really getting chances through set pieces. I didn't think they looked particularly good though to be honest, and didn't test us too much in open play. They'll need to improve if they consider themselves a promotion team from that division.

Speiss didn't really have much to do, and so must start and play the Exeter game. I still have no clue if he's any good or not. I've heard he's a decent player though.

The defence is pretty good. Exodus was terrific and really grew into the game. Gus was pretty good too, although lost concentration a bit at the end. Smith is a little lightweight but clearly a decent player and hopefully playing in a three will help him out.

Butler did well enough on the left, and Courtney Richards did get better and better as time went on as right wing-back, and got more confident going forward towards the end. Obviously Hurst is the first choice there, but it looks as though Courtney could do a job.

The midfield three were impressive. Kellerman and Fenwick were just behind Young in midfield, and worked hard chasing down the ball, putting in good tackles and moving it around when they got it. Young didn't get the sort of space he needs and will most likely get in the Conference, but I feel this set-up that Cox is creating is designed to get the best out of him, and minimise the amount of tackling back and work he needs to do. With Kellerman and Fenwick behind him, he can focus on getting in better positions further on. Fenwick looks a good find, as does Kellerman, and I hope the latter signs on with us as this is a promising midfield three.

Up front was probably our weakest area. Marsh started ok but tailed off quickly. He didn't really receive any quality service that he requires, mostly down to a strong Argyle defensive unit with their number 20 in the middle of the park probably being the best player on the pitch. Briscoe did try hard and he's definitely slimmed a bit so well done to him, but without a presence up front we didn't ever really look like scoring. I imagine neither of these two will start the first game of the season up front, with Fairhurst and a big man being the ones to come in.

Overall very encouraging so far. We look much better set up than under Hargreaves it has to be said - I can't see us being tanked by the bottom few teams under Cox.
"We are now so far up sh*t creek our boat is actually poking out the end of someones toilet bowl."
Brucie. 27/02/14
TUST_Member_Rob

Post by TUST_Member_Rob »

break away from the normal 7.45 as its a 7.30pm KO tonight!
Yellow army 1
New Signing
New Signing
Favourite player: Briscoe

Post by Yellow army 1 »

Any links to commentary of the game would be appreciated! :)