Bristow's Bench / Grandstand Latest Pictures

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

Looking back at nicktufc's post I see that the word in question is 'renovation', which is a noun used, in this context, as an adjective. However, as Glostergull has indicated, 'fitting out' is a more accurate description of the work being completed inside the replacement grandstand.

What makes the English vocabulary such a rich, fascinating, powerful and widely used tool for communication and expression is the almost limitless choice of words available to us, most of which are rarely needed in our day-to-day use of the language, but which provide us with a variety of options, sometimes half a dozen words or more expressing the same meaning in infinitesimally different ways, thus enabling accuracy and precision and the means to express even the vaguest or the most profound thoughts our minds can produce, and providing the opportunity for the advancement, development and evolution of our intellectual powers. Which makes it all the more deplorable and lamentable that the Americans have appropriated this same beautiful language for their own use and have truly f****d it up. :(
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Gullscorer wrote:Looking back at nicktufc's post I see that the word in question is 'renovation', which is a noun used, in this context, as an adjective. However, as Glostergull has indicated, 'fitting out' is a more accurate description of the work being completed inside the replacement grandstand.

What makes the English vocabulary such a rich, fascinating, powerful and widely used tool for communication and expression is the almost limitless choice of words available to us, most of which are rarely needed in our day-to-day use of the language, but which provide us with a variety of options, sometimes half a dozen words or more expressing the same meaning in infinitesimally different ways, thus enabling accuracy and precision and the means to express even the vaguest or the most profound thoughts our minds can produce, and providing the opportunity for the advancement, development and evolution of our intellectual powers. Which makes it all the more deplorable and lamentable that the Americans have appropriated this same beautiful language for their own use and have truly f****d it up. :(

I concur.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

Mind you, many of us British are just as bad. Poor teachers, using poorly-conceived educational theories as a result of political interference and political correctness, teaching poor English to generations of illiterate brats. Thank heavens we see very few of those on the Plainmoor terraces.. :whistle:
SteveDeckchair
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Sir Alex Russell
Watches from: Pop side

Post by SteveDeckchair »

Wot ee sed.......
Mmmmmm, beeeeeeeer.
luketufc
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by luketufc »

Last seat gone in, fittingly put in by Thea Bristow

http://www.insidermedia.com/insider/sou ... ay-united/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
cambgull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: All Of Them

Post by cambgull »

Fantastic, really surprised it wasn't the OS which broke the news though. It's not as if they aren't working in full view of the stand.

Can't wait to see pictures!
Luke.

"Successful applicants need not apply"
costablancagull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by costablancagull »

Talking about photos guys Can someone pop down to Plainmoor between euro games and post some photos of the new look stand now the last seat is in?
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by Glostergull »

Hi Guys
Have seen the pictures of the time capsule being buried by the new stand todat. To say that it's under the stand is a little off the mark as it is clearly under the grass. but I suppose it will be a lot easier to dig up. (assuming Bryn is long gone and doesn't think there's a bone down there.
The main point of this post though is the way the stand is built. I reminds me very much of brizzle Shities Dolman stand. which has the first row of seats about 8 to 10 feet in the air and in front there is a large drop to ground level. Then a largish gap to the edge of the pitch.
I cannot imagine why it was built this was and wonder if there is a chance of a small amount of terracing that could be added some time in the future which would be a cheaper way of increasing attendance figures without major expence. It just seems a shame that in my view this land is wasted. I can see that increasing the coverage of the stand further down towards the pitch would have increased cost. probably significantly. But surely the open ground is ripe for development even allowing for the neccessary gaps for the Doors in the stand that can be seen and there can't be many of those. I wonder if Mr Candy can shed light in this.
I myself am not a particular fan of this design as It does tend to relieve the area of the bit of atmosphere. Mind you if we get some of the duffers in there I had to suffer in the family stand or even Brucie, I am sure they would be delighted to kill the atmosphere anyway. I always think that seats closer to the players would provide a much more intimidating atmosphere for the opposition and better encouragement for our players.
What do you think.
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

The problem with building terraces is the football league or whoever it is that sanctions the grants won't give you the cash if you want to build terraces. So you have to fund it yourself.

As the law currently stands IF TUFC were to one day get in the championship you only then have a 2 year window to then replace terraces with seating. They have been a bit lax on this rule with certain cases and rightly so because it's ludicrous for clubs like Posh and Scunny to be forced into ripping up terraces at massive cost when they don't have a lot of money anyway. But anyway it can then cause problems later on, so a lot of clubs are reluctant to build new terraces.
bixieupnorth
Legend
Legend

Post by bixieupnorth »

just popped up to the ground after a sightseeing circuit of Torquay, had a peep thru gap in pop side gates, looks mightily impressive!
also went up lane beside the lodge, it looks so big!
still keeping the faith
Louis
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Louis »

My girlfriend took and sent me this pic from this evening at Plainmoor where they held a presentation ceremony.
Attachments
photo.JPG
⚽️ Prediction League 23/24 - TUFC merch prizes for grabs
⚽️ Press Room - all latest TUFC News
⚽️ @Torquay_Fans - follow us on X for all the latest

tktufc91
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Dan Lavercombe

Post by tktufc91 »

Any chance some pics could either be put on the OS or on here of the finished product? Looks quality from Louis' pic.

Can't wait to see it in person on a match day!
Na, na na, NA NA NA NA, NA NA NA NA, TORQUAY!
batesout
New Signing
New Signing
Favourite player: andy provan

Post by batesout »

Will look nice full of leeds fans in july.
AlexGulls
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Chris McPhee

Post by AlexGulls »

batesout wrote:Will look nice full of leeds fans in july.
Well two blocks of it anyway..