Top 100 Torquay United Players

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
samuel
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: colin bettany

Post by samuel »

On my list, the second one to appear. This man was class class class. I echo Wivelgulls and tomogulls sentiments entirely, it is painful to see the players on the pitch now representing Torquay United first XI.
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

A famous quote from Ken Gibbs (long dead now; little man with a big voice...'Cha-a-arge!'). Paul Bence (from Brentford) came on loan for a month (this was during the long goodnight for TUFC after 1972):
'I didn't mind eee Benson, but I don't like eee Bence!'
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Another one for you guys then [unfortunately I'm struggling with a photo]…

Jimmy Dunne - 14 points

Time spent at club: 1967-1970, 1975-1979
Gulls Appearances: 248
Gulls Goals: 19

Jimmy Dunne was an Irish midfielder who began his career with Shelbourne in 1964. He moved over to England with Millwall in 1966, before moving on again to join Torquay United, after making no appearances for the Lions. His first spell at Plainmoor was a success, finding the net 13 times in 126 appearances over a 3-year spell. In the summer of 1970, Jimmy moved on to Fulham, where he was a regular for four years. In his time in London, he made his international debut for the Republic of Ireland, against Austria.

After leaving Fulham, Dunne returned to Plainmoor to make another 122 appearances for the Gulls, over a four year spell. Wikipedia suggests that Jimmy has since moved to Australia to coach football, and his best moment in management was taking the Morwell Falcons to the Victorian State Championship, in 1984. It is believed that Jimmy still lives is Australia today.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

The third name on my list to appear. For some reason, I thought Jimmy Dunne might be overlooked so I'm glad 13 others also remembered him in their top ten. Like John Benson, he was a midfield player (a wing half in those days). Good in the tackle (er, um - I'll re-word that ! - strong tackler) with an eye for a goal. He scored some cracking goals. As Wivel posted, oh that we had players of Dunne's (and Benson's) calibre playing for us now. We wouldn't have gates of 1260. :(
taxilady
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Micky Cave RIP
Watches from: Pop side

Post by taxilady »

I've got a pic of Jimmy...google Torquay United team of 1968 & there's a team photo featuring others mentioned on here (& maybe still to come !) But I don't know how to paste it on here ?
We'll Be Back ! TTID

TUST share number 066
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

And completing the players sitting outside the top 20 is another player much before my time. It's…

Colin Bettany - 14 points

Time spent at club: 1957-1966
Gulls Appearances: 335
Gulls Goals: 4

Colin's career in football began at Leicester City, before leaving the academy there to join Crewe Alexandra in 1953. He scored six times in 29 appearances for the Railwaymen, before making the move to Birmingham City. Unfortunately for Bettany, he didn't make a league appearance in two years at the club.

Upon leaving Birmingham, Colin moved to Torquay in 1957, making his debut as a striker in a 3-0 defeat at Colchester United. After just three games, Bettany found himself out of the side as Dennis Lewis made his return to the starting 11. However, his absence was short-lived, and Colin was back in, this time at full back, after two games on the bench. Bettany made the right back position his own, and had an incredible run of playing in every league match from 4th April 1958 to 31st August 1963, racking up an astonishing 195 consecutive appearances. This run of games included being an ever-present as United won promotion in 1960. Bettany went on to make 335 appearances in total, before moving back to the midlands to join non-league side Nuneaton Borough in 1966.
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by wivelgull »

Colin Bettany is one of the TRUE TUFC greats. Rightly and properly, he was known as 'The Beast' because of his his terrifying tackling and general demeanour. Possessor of a fine late teddy-boy hairstyle, Colin Bettany was part of what we old timers recognise as the true Torquay United, not the impostor who has masqueraded as Torquay United since 1972. Unfortunately I put my TUFC Top Ten in too late to be considered, but 'The Beast' is there - and in my Top 5 too.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

Needless to say, another of my top ten. Bet he's in Samuel's list as well ! No one messed with Colin Bettany. What a good thing there weren't such things as yellow cards and red cards back in Colin's day.
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: david graham

Post by chunkygull »

I remember Kenny Allen well, the first keeper I saw playing for TUFC. I remember thinking how old he looked, older than he actually was I believe. Not a bad keeper, had a few gaffes in him, remember missing promotion on the last day 87/88 after gifting Scunthorpe a goal, but there were games he made outstanding saves and will be remembered for coming out of retirement and playing a blinder vs Wolves in the sherpa van semi. Im sure he played local cricket and became a postman locally.

Kenny Veysey, one of my favourite keepers and was outstanding in his first spell when he got his chance, player of the year then (I voted for him), also pretty good in his second spell. One of my top 10 votes. It was between him and Neville Southall, who I thought was awesome, but Veysey got the nod for more games played.

Wayne Thomas, a good product of our youth system at the time, when young players were actually given a chance. It was good to see Wayne improve and develop as well as he did. I remember talking to him and drunkenly having a bit of a go in the old Fiesta bar on Paignton seafront the day after a last game of the season 0.3 home defeat. Wayne lit up a fag and as well as moaning about the game I started chastising him about smoking and being a pro footballer, fitness etc. Wayne showed considerable restraint, humoured me and was a gent, thank god. He could have quite easily told me to f"" off or knocked me out as looking back I was being a bit of a knob.

Amazing to see how many good and memorable left backs we have had in recent history who made the list (John Uzzell only one missing so far), Kevin Nicholson who was very good at times. Paul Gibbs an awesome one season wonder, just a shame he didnt stay longer, but understandable. Part of 97/98 side that really should have been promoted, how the hell they messed that up I will never know. Anyone would think they fluffed it on purpose because Bateson didnt want them to go up (a little nod for some of the cranks on the popside there) :} ;-) Brian McGlinchey was brilliant, really rated him and was sad to see him go through injury, he would have made my top 10 but got pipped by the one and only Tommy Kelly who was my favourite player when I first watched the yellows. That 87/88 season another we should have gone up, Kelly was brilliant, I remember his marauding and swashbuckling runs down the left flank past us watching from the grandstand enclosure and firing brilliant crosses in, I swear one of the best crossers of the ball I have seen in a Torquay shirt a real hard worker and part of a brilliant defence that year. We were blessed that year with an abundance of left sided talent such as Kelly, Mark Loram, Lee Sharpe and Mark Gardiner. I was gutted when Tom Kelly left for York, even worse when he returned later with Exeter, and then scored against us in a later derby. He wasnt quite as good in his second spell but was still better than most of the rubbish we have had, was a good captain and I loved it when he used to try and whip the pop up before a game when he had the armband. Also scored one of the best goals I have seen at Plainmoor.

Paul Holmes, brilliant player in his first spell, integral part of the teams which played twice at wembley in 3 seasons, no surprise he went on to play at a much higher level. Really, really rated him and he is the third player in my top 10 to feature so far. Was very good at first in his second spell then seemed to fade a bit, got a lot of unfair stick and criticism during a time the team were struggling and we narrowly excaped relegation.
You are my torquay, my only torquay, you make me happy when skies are grey, you'll never know, just, how much i love you, so don't take my torquay away.
(laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la, - laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la. - la,la,la,la,la, - la,la,la,la....).
samuel
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by samuel »

Jimmy Dunne and Colin Bettany, two more on my list. 3rd and 2nd respectively. Great players. Bettany, surely the toughest player to play for the Gulls. He used to roll up the sleeves of his short sleeved shirt. I can remember him having a toe to toe fight with the centre forward of Stockport County landing several blows. When sent off he went past my mate Mike Griffiths (fellow Tweenaway boy) who said 'unlucky Colin'. He said 'What do you mean, I landed some beauties' or words to that effect. I spoke to him a couple of years ago and he still sounds intimidating. He said he was booted out of Birmingham for shoulder charging/tackling a fellow team winger into the area in front of the stand in a practice match and refused to apologise. He just got on with the job, no frills, gave 100%, a rock in the defence and very very hard. This was combined with a good amount of skill especially heading. Yes, this man is a true legend and it is a great shame the younger supporters have not seen his like. I think he lived in the Torquay United houses in Courtland Road in Shiphay. The commitment and honesty of this tough individual to the cause of little Torquay United was inspirational to teenagers like me and has stayed with me all my Gull supporting life. If the younger members had seen Colin play he would be right up there. I am lucky to have seen this man play for my team.
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by wivelgull »

I agree totally with Mr. Samuel; also, don't forget that 'The Beast' was a damn' good footballer too.
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

OK, so here we go then, we are now in the top 20. There's actually still 24 players to appear as we had a few people sharing a couple of positions on the list, but nonetheless, we're getting to the really fun bit now. Three players shared 20th place on the list, and to kick us off, it is…

John Bond - 16 points

Time spent at club: 1966-1969
Gulls Appearances: 130
Gulls Goals: 12

John Bond's career began at Colchester Casuals as a youngster, before he signed for West Ham United in 1950. Bond went on to be a huge player for the Hammers, playing over 440 times for the London side, over a 16 year spell. During his time at the club, Bond played a part as they won the Second Division in 1957, missing just one game in that campaign. He also found the net 8 times, which is impressive for a right back. He was called up to England's 'A' team after this campaign. In 1959, he was tried as a centre forward, where he scored twice against Bolton, and a hat-trick in a local derby with Chelsea. However, he was soon moved back to right back, where he played in the 1964 FA Cup Final, in which he picked up a Winners' medal. Unfortunately, John missed the chance to play in the European Cup Winners Cup, despite playing in a handful of the earlier rounds.

In 1966, John moved west to join Torquay United, linking up with Frank O'Farrell, the then manager at Plainmoor. He went on to play over 100 times for United, playing a part in a promotion at the end of his first season. He retired in 1969, going on to have a successful managerial career in the UK. His clubs included Bournemouth, Manchester City, Norwich, Burnley and Swansea City.
samuel
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by samuel »

Oh my, not in my list, but a silky player with a left foot that made Kevin Nicholsons seem rough by comparison. The 'Muffin Man'. A wonderful player and great temperament. Stefano commented that he should have been manager on the other forum. It was a crying shame he did not. He had contacts and gravitas and perhaps he could have brought lots of Bournemouth players down here. Who knows, we may now have been on top of Championship.
samuel
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by samuel »

Absolutely loving this thread. Well done Plymouth Gull,
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Pleased you're enjoying it! Moving on to the second players sharing the 20th spot, it's…

Gregory Goodridge - 16 points

Time spent at club: 1994-1995, 2001-2002
Gulls Appearances: 66
Gulls Goals: 7

Barbados-born Gregory Goodridge was playing for Lambada FC in his home country, before he rocked up at Plainmoor in 1994. After a period where he was waiting for a work-permit, Goodridge finally made his debut as a sub at Bury in March 1994, and went on to make 8 appearances in his first season with the club. He was a regular in the following season, and became a fans favourite particularly for his dribbling skills. Goodridge was a big hit at Plainmoor, big enough to earn a move to QPR for a six-figure fee (I've seen two but unsure which is correct) in 1995. He struggled to make an impact at Loftus Road, making only a handful of substitute appearances. He eventually moved on to Bristol City for £50,000 after one year in London.

Ashton Gate saw Goodridge enjoy his best spell in the Football League, making over 100 league appearances for the red half of Bristol. After five years, he was eventually loaned out to Cheltenham, before returning to Torquay in 2001 on a free. He made around 15 league appearances in his second spell at United, before being released.