Barnet v Torquay United - 30/3/12

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

Another 3pts towards our maximum achievable total of 93pts . . .

. . . I don't expect miracles . . . so I'll be happy with 92 . . . ;-)
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

How are we gonna drop one point Troj?

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

ferrarilover wrote:How are we gonna drop one point Troj?

Matt.

:Oops:

Like last season, on a yet to happen FA technicality.

Then I'll settle and be disappointed with 91pts through normal means. ;-)

I still reckon we'll finish on what we get. :clown:
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
bengull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Nicholson

Post by bengull »

Torquay are fast perfecting the art of winning ugly as they recorded their tenth 1-0 victory of this miraculous season, and their eighteenth clean-sheet in the process. Their eleventh away victory of the season was earnt through a lot of hard work and determination, a moment of individual brilliance, and a lot of luck in between. Barnet are struggling at the wrong end of the table and could not taken the plentiful chances they created, Torquay are flying high and netted their first and only noteworthy opportunity.

On a warm and pleasant evening in North London, The Gulls lined up 4-5-1 and all in white for the third away game running. Ryan Jarvis earning his second start of the season at the expense of Ian Morris on the right wing. Barnet lined up 4-4-2 and started brightly, keen to avenge the painful loss at Plainmoor in December, settled by a last minute 30 yard thunderbolt from Kevin Nicholson - the ever-present left back was at it again tonight, trying his luck from 40 yards early on, but narrowly missing.

Playing against the famous Underhill slope in the first half, Barnet dominated proceedings. For the first time in a long while, the communication between back four and goalkeeper was not as familiar as it should have been and a couple of mix-ups nearly led to guilt-edged chances. Both Mark Ellis and Brian Saah, imperious so often this season, were guilty of dawdling in possession in and around the penalty area and were fortuitous not to be punished for it. Barnet were playing a high pressing game, hassling and harrying for every ball, and at times Torquay didn't have the answers to cope with it.

On too many occasions the ball over the top left the Torquay back four exposed, and with the pace of McCleod proving to be a real menace throughout the match, the Barnet front man could have helped himself to a hat-trick had he worn his shooting boots. All successful sides ride their luck at points during this season and Torquay had a huge slice of fortune when Mccleod again beat the defensive line and had a clear run on goal. Bobby Olejnik ran out to narrow the angle and McCleod nudged the ball past the Austrian's outstretched leg and then flung himself somewhat theatrically to the floor. From my angle on the terrace it was hard to tell whether it was a foul or a dive, but the referee had no hesitation in pointing to the spot, if he believed it to be a foul, he should have reached for the red card, instead of the yellow he brandished to the supremely talented Goalkeeper.

McCleod dusted himself down and struck his penalty to Olejnik's right, the keeper guessed the right way but was pleased to see the ball bounce off the post and cleared away to safety. It was symbolic of the first half as a whole, Barnet unable to capitalise on great opportunities against a below par Torquay side. Going forward Torquay passed the ball around confidently but once again the final ball was a constant disappointment and as a consequence openings at goal were at a premium, the highlights in a pretty ordinary first half were a Danny Stevens drive which went narrowly over, and a Eunan O'Kane strike from distance which could have been deflected anywhere with the keeper committed to the floor.

However, the hallmark of all successful teams is winning when not playing at their best, and despite the lack of penetration on the pitch, you can never accuse this Torquay team of lacking team spirit, determination and effort. Once again fired up by inspirational manager Martin Ling, Torquay started the second half in a much better, more direct manner. A slight tweak saw Danny Stevens moved into the centre more and this proved to be pivotal. Capitalising on a defensive lapse from the home side, Stevens latched onto a Howe throughball on the left hand side of the area, spotting the keeper off his line, the diminutive winger beautifully lobbed the ball over Brill and into the net. It was a superb finish from a player who now looks to be fully over the injury he picked up at Crawley at the beginning of the month, and hopefully with confidence regained he will be a key threat in the run in.

It was the one bit of real quality in a game of miss-placed passes and hacked clearances, and perhaps tells the story of the season for both clubs. Barnet should have been out of sight by that point, but Torquay stuck at it valiantly and got their rewards by a bit of brilliance. The goal gave Barnet no option but attack in search of the equaliser, leaving them exposed at the back, this in turn playing into the hands of Torquay's counter attack. I always felt that a second goal was in our grasps but the opportunity never quite came about. Torquay looked a bit reluctant to shoot on sight, and instead chose to pass which lost some of the momentum of most of our good moves, allowing a Barnet man to get a vital block in.

Barnet continued to create and waste chances in equal measure, Olejnik equal to most of what the Bees could throw at him, including one fine diving stop from distance and standing tall to McLeod once more. On the one occasion he was rooted to his spot, Mark Byrne headed a dangerous in swinging corner just wide. You could see the confidence drain from Barnet with 20 minutes to go, and they resorted to long ball which by now, down the slope, was playing into Torquay's hands.

Martin Ling once more used all the cards at his disposal, sending on Ian Morris for Ryan Jarvis. The Irish winger may feel he had a slight point to prove after a negative reaction from the crowd of a previous performance at Plainmoor. There was nothing negative to be said tonight however, Morris proved to the idiot minority what a useful and committed member of the team he is with some excellent headers, nice link up play and a couple of jinking runs. As Ling said in the aftermath of last week's blemish, it is vital that the entire group of players is supported, happy and fully together , hopefully that sour episode can be put behind us. Taiwo Atieno and Lathaniel Rowe-Turner also added fresh legs replacing the tiring Stevens and Howe as Torquay once again looked to see the game out- a quality they have excelled at this season.

Rowe-Turner, on the ground where he scored his only previous goal for Torquay, nearly added to his tally twice. His first shot, a low drive, was parried behind by Brill for Torquay's first corner of the game with 2 minutes to go. For his second, he sold the entire Barnet defence a dummy by running towards the corner flag, only to cut inside allowing himself a shot at goal. His hurried effort though ending up the wrong side of the post.

So Torquay held on to another win and edged themselves 4 points clear of both third and fourth place, both of whom have games in hand though. However as the old adage goes, it is better to have points on the board than games in hand and the pressure is on both of those teams to catch us. If Torquay keep on winning it will give them an excellent chance of automatic promotion, and that's all we can do, winning has become a very common habit for Torquay recently, there is a steely determination coursing throughout this side to grind out victories, even when under the cosh, even when not playing particularly well.

Torquay rode their luck tonight, but this will only increase the confidence of the players, and frustrate the chasing pack all the more. Nineteen points from a possible Twenty-Four from what looked a very tricky month of March is an excellent return and indicates Torquay as the real deal this season and a team for any occasion. One bit of skill proved to be the difference and from yet another different match winner. Eight different players have now scored winners in 1 goal victories for us this season, a sign that Torquay possess goal scoring danger throughout the squad.

It gave me great pride to watch another gutsy win in the company of 550 other Torquay fans. An excellent turn-out once again from the Yellow Army, and on a Friday night. When you compare this to the 77 Barnet fans who came to Plainmoor on that Friday night in December it goes to show the loyalty and backing Torquay can expect from their fans at any away ground. Scenes at the final whistle of Players and Fans mutually applauding each other euphorically is becoming a regular occurrence as Torquay continue to grind out the results and adding 3 more points to their already impressive 75 point tally, and with six games to go, its all to play for and starting to feel extremely close
Heritage gull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Heritage gull »

Yeehaaaa. Going up...up...up... Outstanding effort again Dannyboy! :bow: If Saint Martin is to be beatified, can we give lil Danny a knighthood?
COYY :scarf:
TUST member 077
MidDevon
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by MidDevon »

That is a really fair reflection on events last night.

On a negative note neither of our centre backs could cope with the speed or agility of the Barnet front 2 and were stuck far too close to their men, which just did not seem to work in the first half.....it was all change of course at half time and Lingy moved to a more "zonal" system which seemed to do a better job of keeping those potent front two at arms length.

I think that Sanchez did a pretty good job, he was at Plainmoor on Saturday and obviously concentrated on trying to snuff out O'Kane, who Barnet certainly coped with better than Burton or Port Vale in the previous 2 matches and whilst Howe was still exceptionally effective in keeping posession of the ball his options were limited as O'Kane, who collects so many passes from Howe in a normal 90 minutes was generelly well marked.

As a result our main playmaker last night was Danny Stephens who looked like he would die for the club yesterday and in the circumstances had one of his best matches for Torquay in my opinion. I felt without him being on the pitch (and later in the game Ian Morris) we would have struggled to break through at all.

I am sure we have all noticed just how effective LRT and Taio are as 70 minute substitutions, when you are 1.0 up away from home you need players of their style who can be really energetic and keep the home side worried and having to throw resources at defending as well as ll out attack

....it is for these reason that I feel we should give an absolute massive round of applause to Lingy and Taylor who once again were tactically spot on at half time and made the changes necessary both in defence and with the substitutions to ensure that we came back with another 3 points.
EmetEdadsBeard
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Andy Gurney

Post by EmetEdadsBeard »

Me and our kids first (and only!) visit to Underhill. What a sh1t tip. How the Football league can allow a club in who haven't even got a sink and soap in the Gents is beyond me. We aren't allowed such poor facilities in the Doncaster league. They also ran out of pies and pasties BEFORE the kick off. Perfectly set up for NON-LEAGUE. :@ :@

As for the game I've had a quick scan through some of the quotes and couldn't pick a man of the match as they were all so poor. The ball was constantly far too easily lost and I've not seen so many passes go miles astray for a long time. Stevens one moment of quality :-D probably got it for him, but other than that no one did much of note. Contrary to most peoples opinion I thought Howe was poor, compare his workrate (yes I know he was on his own but that means he has to work twice as hard) with the two up front for Barnet who ran the back four ragged. Luckily they couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo, a trait all too familiar as many players these days are little more than sprinters wearing football boots.
The best player on the field by a country mile was Barnets 21 year old dwarf (or would diminutive be a better description? Or Time Bandit!) midfielder Sam Deering who covered every blade of grass at least twice and was a thorn in the side for the entire match. Get him signed, despite being 5' 5" he battered the midfield, won everything that came near him and was still going strong at the end.
That said, its yet another (very!) scruffy win massively agains't the run of play which usually means promotion at this stage of the season. :scarf:
'Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level then beat you with their experience!
yellow
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Situation Vacant

Post by yellow »

Good point Mid Dev.

We have had too many of these results for it to be all luck. It is good that we have a proper manager at last with some tactical nous and who is able to have an effect on matches.

That being said, it sounded as if we were just plain lucky last night. It sounded like highway robbery. The BBC RD commentary called it a travesty when we took the lead. This on top of a Barnet penalty miss.

How nice it is to reflect on these games though. So often in the past it was us without the luck, resilience and wherewithal to grind out these important results.
"A day without football is a day lost" (Ernst Happel)
"Look at the (Plainmoor) stars, Look how they shine for you, And everything you do, Yeah they were all yellow" (C. Martin)
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

Great report bengull especially at 3am. Real devotion.
It is a shame Rowe-Turner does not get more opportunities as I think he could be a goal scoring full back.
Really looking forward to Crewe on 28 April when I am over. Could be the defining game.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

I'm always disappointed by the poor quality of the football commentaries we get from BBC Radio Devon. Last night's was a particularly bad example from Alan Richardson.

We expect a radio commentator to describe accurately and concisely what is happening on the pitch, and with his choice of words to put a clear picture in our mind's eye of the spectacle before him, as if we were there beside him watching the game ourselves.

All we got was a match-long discussion regarding this, that and the other, interspersed with references to incidents and events on the pitch, so that we had no clear picture of what was going on and were unable to follow properly the progress of the game. And when he did attempt to describe what was happening, he too often got it wrong, and confused the listener.

For, example, he would say: 'there's a free kick in a dangerous position.' Dangerous for which team? Ah, got it, it's a free kick to the Gulls on the edge of Barnet's penalty area. So why is that dangerous for Torquay? Dangerous for Barnet, surely, and in a good position for Torquay.

And the Barnet goalie brilliantly tips the ball over his bar. So it's a corner kick to the Gulls, right? No, no mention at all of the corner, just another discussion about something else, before the commentator decides to get back to describing a Barnet attack.

I could give other examples, but I'm more inclined to give up. Doesn't the BBC train its staff these days, or are they simply not bothered to do a competent job?
bixieupnorth
Legend
Legend

Post by bixieupnorth »

i reckon that deserves its own thread GS then maybe it'll get spotted and we won't get him again, he's Exeter commentator normally apparently?
still keeping the faith
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

bixieupnorth wrote:i reckon that deserves its own thread GS then maybe it'll get spotted and we won't get him again, he's Exeter commentator normally apparently?
Good idea. Done..! :-D Exeter commentator? 'Nuff said..!
harpenden gull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: E O'Kane

Post by harpenden gull »

Son and i went last night for our annual league visit to Barnet; tho we often go there to watch Arsenal reserves when they play someone decent.
I had built O'Kane up to my son but he was kept quiet and with Mansell and Lathrope being kept busy the normal passing game was rarely there.
When the passing game worked Barnet looked like the BSL team they are trying to be but it was worrying that the hoof n'hope seemed to really test our centre backs so much.
With Jarvis looking lost it was left to Danny and Howe to provide any attacking outlet and I thought they both did well. Sitting behind the goal area you could really appreciate the stunning skills needed to execute that chip ; fantastic.
Penalty; yes but I thought Olejnik had the shot covered to the post; a few more looks at replays may confirm or deny this.
In terms of possession and skills we won it hands down ; hope the results today go for us.
Aussie
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by Aussie »

Sounds like Barnet play long ball all day long! I watched Blackpool vs Saints yesterday and the top of the Championship (Saints) by-pass midfield as well, after watching this I paid close attention to the Football League shows top divisions and noticed that quite a lot of teams are actually shitey long-ball merchants but they seem to get results! Unlike Saints yesterday who were destroyed by a good footballing unit that Ollie had produced. Seems the only place football is played properly is in League 2, perhaps we should stay here! ( Little reminder, it`s still April fools day ). I recon when we go up we will do o.k. ala Stevenage, lets play football!
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

http://bit.ly/HFqixC" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Belated short review there.