Torquay United v Cheltenham Town - 21/8/12

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

y_e_l_l_o_w wrote:Hi, first post and only my views as an avid fan but also a genuine realist.

Having watched most of pre-season and the the game against Cheltenham I have a couple of observations.

1) Martin Ling spent all of pre-season in my opinion learning very little. I appreciate he wanted to get games into the players but in the three competitive games we have played nothing has changed from last season with respect to style or manner of play.

2) Clearly Downes is a good solid defender and Bodin we all knew would be a great signing but I question his attitude towards Morris who clearly thinks he is the next midfield meastro? The inclusion of the new signings I have mentioned gives us parity in defence in comparison to last season and another option on the wing that can and will score goals but out Midfield is woefully boring, we needed a player along the lines of Stanley who had the ability to make the killer pass.

3)... and finally, I would love to see another succesful Yellow season but where have all the realists gone, is it only me or did I watch a game on Tuesday night that was full of shoddy defending, poor passing and players that struggle to knock down a barn door? I may agree that Cheltenham will make top halk but to keep quoting them as promotion contenders surprises me. An ealry indication would tell me that last season we rode the wave of luck, we set up not to conceed and won games by the odd goal. I think Mr Ling will need to get his thinking cap on because we don't have a bag of goals in the team each game and that same tactic could if anything produce a season of dissapointment, one that I personally believe will be down to tactics rather then the group of players.

Not looking forward to getting destroyed with the replies, but all the same.

YELLOW!
1) You mean last season that was a complete and utter disaster? Oh, wait, that's not right is it, we played the football that got us to the Playoffs for the fourth time in five years.

2) Yeah, Macklin, Thompson, Craig, Bodin, what a terribly boring midfield that sounds. If that's not enough for you, I'll just reach into my arse and pluck out half a million quid so we can sign some sort of midfield genius. We had Eunan, he was miles too good for us and now he's gone. This is L2 and despite the final score, we created enough chances to win three matches comfortably.

3) We are presently the second top scorers in the division. We hit two against Chelts (should have been 7), four against Rochdale and we were a little bit hopeless against Fleetwood. Bodin, Howe and Thompson/Macklin look like they could score at will in the last two games. Oastler is one of the best attacking defenders in the division, Downer likes to get a header in and Nico is always a threat. Manse will get goals when it looks impossible because that is what he does. This team, with the pace and trickery out wide and a fit lean and mean Howe in the middle, looks contenders to be the biggest scorers in the division.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"