Gillingham v Torquay United - 6/4/13

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
coley in stripes
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by coley in stripes »

Because they are on course for a hell of a low !!
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Well done the lads today and the fans too and congratulations to Gillingham too although i've just heard Martin Allen on talksport and the bloke is a c*nt. We had quite a few attempts at goal and it's no good saying we were unlucky as we hit the woodwork twice, we NEED to be scoring goals. Yes i am worried about the Barnet game but also the Morecambe one as our away form is truly abysmal. One win ( from a penalty ) in nearly 5 months. Should we not beat Barnet then that means taking a record like this to Morecambe and hoping to get a win to take us to the last game where we'll probably need to win that too.

It's Barnet or bust then for me as i think we'll get a draw at best at Morecambe and then it's last chance saloon at home to Rovers. I'm feeling ok, i actually think that our players just are not good enough and most importantly a factor which a few of you have highlighted. They just DO NOT have the mental toughness to cope with this situation. Should we need to win our last game to stay up with a crowd full of blue and white and such immense pressure on their shoulders, how many of you would put your house on them doing so and managing the pressure?

Barnet or bust. A draw and we take it Morecambe to get a win until it becomes impossible. I have to be honest and say that i believe we will still drop as even if we beat Barnet, we are just so sh*t away and never bomb at teams and put the fear of God in them. If Morecambe score first it's a draw or game over and that ALWAYS happens. Sorry all.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

Oh and a slight dig at Knill, well done for dropping one of the only players who can score us goals in Jarvis and playing Bodin from the off. Did he not score again? Of course he didn't. Play the players who can score goals Knill. Thommo is needed and Yeoman is needed. Why persist in giving a precious starting berth to a player who NEVER EVER EVER DELIVERS APART FROM WINNING A PENALTY V EXETER 3 MONTHS AGO!!!!!!! MADNESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Scott Brehaut »

coley wrote:Because they are on course for a hell of a low !!
I'm not - if we go down then we go down, I'll be upset, but I'm not going be looking for somewhere to put the rope.

Some people on here have been near enough suicidal all season

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

Gazzableedsgull wrote:In reality though that's 3 defeats in a row .. I know it's against promotion chasing teams but teams around us manage a victory against these teams, argyle today against Cheltenham and against city last week, Dagenham beating city today, rochdale hammering Fleetwood, it's clear we don't have the quality or mental ability to deal with this situation. I think we should play dirty for the last 3 games, hard tackles, shoot on sight .. We don't need attractive football now .. We need points and goals!
Utterly correct. There are some on here suggesting that because we expected to lose we should be ok with that. The fact is we struggle to win...only 5 in half a year. We have Martin Rice in goal and we cannot afford to lose another game or draw v Barnet. Drop points to Barnet and it is all over.

We have to beat whoever is in front of us and it is no use bleating that because they are top it is ok to lose because we expected them to. It's simply no use. We need points and making excuses because the opposition are a 'bit too good' is ridiculous. At one time we were something like 15 points ahead of Plymouth. look at the impact of their new manager versus the impact of ours. Knill has been a failure for us.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

I'm not Bodin Bashing, it's what i see. I see total unproductivity every time i see him in the flesh and he never scores and when i don't see him in the flesh he is generally the same and never scores. He's a creative attacking midfielder for f*cks sake and it's about time someone accepted that we have to go down a different route and give his slot to a player who can give us more ( which doesn't have to be a lot ). I don't want to keep knocking the lad but we're in some serious sh*t and now rely on players to produce for 3 games. Bodin's record this season and more recently suggests he won't be the one to give us what we are looking for. I know lots of you love Billy and if we put the arguments to one side for now, can you STILL not see where i'm coming from?
coley in stripes
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Fair point Scott but that's because they could see what was happening for half of the season but could do Jack Sh*t about it...then to go into the last 3 games hoping things are going to change.!!!!
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Super Jason Fowler

Post by Fonda »

Bodin has been crap. But how does that make him stand out from the rest?
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

Also drop Howe and put Yeoman in and tell the lad he is an important part of our attack next year and if he produces something in these last 3 games then he'll be a hero. I'd rather put that pressure on him and hope than stick Howe up top again for him not to score again. You may say i'm mad but like we looked better when Manse was out, we might look more potent if Rene was out with a more direct approach. I'm clutching at straws here but we've just got a few players that just aren't cutting the mustard and we need something different or we're going down. It's not working.
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Fonda »

If Rene Howe hadn't been in our team this season, we'd have been down in February. There are lots of problems in our team. He isn't one of them.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
tauntongull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Aaron Downes

Post by tauntongull »

austrianandygull wrote:Oh and a slight dig at Knill, well done for dropping one of the only players who can score us goals in Jarvis and playing Bodin from the off. Did he not score again? Of course he didn't. Play the players who can score goals Knill. Thommo is needed and Yeoman is needed. Why persist in giving a precious starting berth to a player who NEVER EVER EVER DELIVERS APART FROM WINNING A PENALTY V EXETER 3 MONTHS AGO!!!!!!! MADNESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Here here, great post. Young lads keen to impress is my choice every time. Sure Yeoman would relish the challenge of scoring to keep us up - a fresh mentality
May not be the original, but I am the best 'TauntonGull' .... See I can do signatures too, coz I am a real boy!
coley in stripes
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Yes, you're right, he takes a good penalty !!!
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

I know that Fonda but we need something different, radical, desperate, a gamble. As it is we'll drown with a whimper. I think the fact that we have got 3 pretty winnable games left compared to the others and yet lots of are STILL thinking we are going down tells you all you need to know. We are hoping to get a couple of wins when we should be having confidence in the side to get those wins. We aren't having confidence because we know we will struggle in all of them.
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Fonda »

Rene Howe remains the player in the squad most likely to take a chance when it's presented. We don't make many, so it's vital that he is in the side to take advantage. Part of the reason that we've struggled so much is that we don't have any strength in depth. Our best players are in the team. Those behind them don't offer anything else.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Fonda wrote:Rene Howe remains the player in the squad most likely to take a chance when it's presented. We don't make many, so it's vital that he is in the side to take advantage. Part of the reason that we've struggled so much is that we don't have any strength in depth. Our best players are in the team. Those behind them don't offer anything else.
dont quite agree with that regarding today mate.

we should have started with jarvis and cruise and possibly craig.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Sponsors of Lirak Hasani, 2024-2025
We now head Due South to all games!

TUST Member 468