Top 100 Torquay United Players

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

The third player sharing this spot on the list is a man who's career was kick-started by his spell in Devon. It's…

Matt Elliott - 16 points

Time spent at club: 1989-1992
Gulls Appearances: 158
Gulls Goals: 20

Matt's career started in the non-leagues before Charlton Athletic paid £5,000 for him in 1988. He failed to break into the first team set up at the Valley, and moved to Torquay United under a year later. It was at Plainmoor that Elliott's career lifted off, as he made over 120 league starts for the Gulls, between 1989 and 1992. In this period, the centre half found the net 20 times, quite impressive for a defender. In 1992, he moved to Scunthorpe, first initially on loan before making a permanent move for £50,000. His spell at Scunny was successful, making over 50 league appearances in just over a year. He soon moved on again, this time to Oxford United for £150,000. Matt spent four years at Oxford, appearing close to 150 times, before finally getting his dream move to the Premier League. Leicester paid over £1.5m for his services, and it is his time at the Foxes that he is best remembered for.

Matt made over 230 starts, many of those in the Premier League as Leicester continued to overachieve in the top flight. He featured in several good cup runs and also played in Europe the last time Leicester were on the European scene. He nearly moved to Celtic for £3.5m when Martin O'Neill made the move from Leicester to Glasgow, but fortunately for the Foxes Matt stayed around. He retired in 2005, and has stayed in the game since, working as a coach at various non-league sides before taking up a role with Leicester once again.
Mo Gull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Mansell

Post by Mo Gull »

Greg Goodridge also scored directly from a corner for QPR in the premier league. I remember getting so excited that we had him and Chima at the club at the same time - both internationals in some form. He hogged the ball all the time, but he was pretty good at it. Couldn't shoot though.
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

In 19th spot then is a man who I wonder if had we had more of our older fans voting, I feel his position in the list would be higher. Alas, it's…

Sammy Collins - 17 points

Time spent at club: 1948-1958
Gulls Appearances: 379
Gulls Goals: 219

Sammy Collins career began at Bristol City, but it was only a short spell, making just 14 appearances during four years, from 1944-1948. He left them to move to Plainmoor, and the fact that Collins name still gets mentioned by fans today is surely a sign of his greatness. Looking at that scoring record, you can't argue with the plaudits, either. Sammy still holds various records at the club - he is the clubs top goalscorer, with 204 league goals yet to be surpassed for United. He also holds the record for the most goals scored in one season, as he hit 40 in the 1955/56 season. He finished as the clubs top scorer for seven consecutive years, which in itself is pretty remarkable.

Upon leaving United, he played for Gloucester for a little while before retiring. Sammy stayed in Torquay after retiring, before eventually moving back to his home city of Bristol. Unfortunately he passed away on 31st May 1998.
Mo Gull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Mansell

Post by Mo Gull »

Without doubt Sammy should be higher. You just have to look at the scoring charts and see what an impact he had on this club. There are some ridiculous scoring streaks he went on - scoring something like 17 goals in 9 games or something.

I wonder if anyone will ever beat his scoring record, with no one staying around long enough to even try. It really would have to be a one-club man that did it.

Sammy, you're a legend.
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by stefano »

Mo Gull wrote: There are some ridiculous scoring streaks he went on - scoring something like 17 goals in 9 games or something.
Be nice these days to have somebody who could score one in nine games! ;-)
samuel
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: colin bettany

Post by samuel »

Wish I had seen Sammy play. No doubt if there were more, even older fans, than me on this forum he would be in the top 3. Who can argue with the amount of appearances and goals. Big thing loyalty.
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Indeed. In the years I've been watching we have not had a player with a scoring record anywhere near as good as that. It's a shame that he's come in so low but it's quite clear thats down to being before the time of many people who put a list in, myself included. Anyway, moving on to number 18 in the list, its:

Paul Dobson - 18 points

Time spent at club: 1986-1988
Gulls Appearances: 77
Gulls Goals: 38

Paul began his career as a trainee at Newcastle United, before moving to Hartlepool in 1981. Between 1981-1986, Dobson played at Hartlepool, making over 100 appearances. In 1986, he moved south to Plainmoor, and finished as the Gulls top scorer in his first season, as the club made their first and perhaps greatest ever escape from relegation. Dobson was the man who scored the injury time equaliser at home to Crewe on the final day, giving the club the point they needed to survive, relegating Lincoln in the process. The game has gone down in history due to Bryn the police dog biting Jim McNichol, thus causing the long injury time.

Dobson went on to stay at United for another year, before Doncaster paid £20,000 for his services. He played just 24 times for Rovers, before moving to Scarborough. In 1991, Paul moved to Lincoln - evoking memories of his goal that sent them down five years earlier. He played around 20 times for the Imps, before moving back to the North East with Gateshead. Dobson's record at the Heed was a pretty special one, winning the Conference Golden Boot in two consecutive years. In total, he found the net 80 times in 133 appearances for the club. Upon leaving Gateshead, he played for Bishops Auckland and Spennymoor United, before retiring in 1996.
frenchgull
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Tommy northcott

Post by frenchgull »

Paul Dobson vs Sammy Collins, don't make me laugh, Sammy was a legend,Dobson was a player.When I was a kid I thought we would never loose with Sammy in the team,we would see off all the dross like Swindon and Norwich and the rest of the div south sides.He was a truly great player for Torquay United.If there was a statute outside Plainmoor it should be Sammy and then Robin.Most of the players mentioned here never came anywhere near comparison with the exception of two or three who started their careers at Torquay or had a few games on loan.As for the present lot!!!!!.
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by stefano »

Sammy Collins was in my top ten. Although I never saw him play I could not imagine how the club all time top goal scorer could be left off any top ten list.
Behind-the-Gulls
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Behind-the-Gulls »

frenchgull wrote:Paul Dobson vs Sammy Collins, don't make me laugh, Sammy was a legend,Dobson was a player.When I was a kid I thought we would never loose with Sammy in the team,we would see off all the dross like Swindon and Norwich and the rest of the div south sides.He was a truly great player for Torquay United.If there was a statute outside Plainmoor it should be Sammy and then Robin.Most of the players mentioned here never came anywhere near comparison with the exception of two or three who started their careers at Torquay or had a few games on loan.As for the present lot!!!!!.
Dobson's only in because he scored "that goal"-pretty average striker otherwise.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

Behind-the-Gulls wrote: Dobson's only in because he scored "that goal"-pretty average striker otherwise.
Agree that you can't compare Paul Dobson with Sammy Collins. Sammy will always be up there as one of Torquay's all time greats and I don't think his record of 204 league goals will ever be broken. I don't agree that Dobbo was a 'pretty average striker', though. His record of a goal every other game and his goalscoring record with the clubs he played for after leaving Plainmoor shows he was a better than average striker.
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

Dobson was allright, but that's about it. Like other correspondents say, he was just an average striker. I never saw Collins, but how can he (Dobson) be better?
A statue? Robin, of course.
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

In 17th spot on the list is a man I expected to see appear, but no way did I expect him to be this high. I guess he showed loyalty that we rarely see these days, though. It's…

Tony Bedeau - 19 points

Time spent at club: 1995-2006, 2007-2008
Gulls Appearances: 372
Gulls Goals: 65

Tony Bedeau was one of the last of his type that we have seen at Plainmoor, if I'm honest. Beginning his career at Chelsea, he moved to Plainmoor in 1995, making his debut as a 16 year old at Cardiff's Ninian Park. He signed professional terms in 1997, and was attracting Premier League interest in his early years as a Gull. The club turned down an offer of £200,000 from a Division 1 side believed to be Oxford United. Bedeau spent a small spell at Barnsley, after being transfer-listed by Roy McFarland (who also listed David Graham at the time). He returned to United, and ended up playing a role in the clubs automatic promotion in 2004. In 2005-06, he was given a testimonial after reaching 10 years with the club, but left that summer for Walsall.

Tony didn't have much success outside of Devon, and rejoined Torquay 12 months after leaving. He made around 20 appearances as the club reached the FA Trophy Final and lost in the playoffs to Exeter. His second spell didn't last as long, and he left in the summer of 2008, joining Kingstonian.
samuel
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: colin bettany

Post by samuel »

8th on my list. Worked hard most of the time but did fade towards the end missing some sitters. However, loyalty counts a great deal for me and Tony was right up there. I think all my choices have been well over 100 appearances each. Fast and skillful and enjoyed seeing him one on one with defenders. Became known for excrutiatingly late ankle biting tackles latterly as well. How lovely it would be to have him in the side now - playing like he was in his hey day. He would run rings around most of the Conference defenders. A proper loyal team man.
Kernowgull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Kernowgull »

I was just thinking that I hadn't seen Tony Bedeau yet, and hoped he had missed out.

It still irritates me that some people thought he was a really good player, I still can't let Rushden away go!!

A whole pile of averageness, he was like the fast kid at school who was technically useless but would score every now and then because he could get in front of everyone.

Still, would probably look good in our current team.

Still loving the thread, only thing keeping me interested in TUFC at the moment!