Gillingham v Torquay United - 6/4/13

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

THREE managers have not rated Macklin and Craig.

The same three managers have rated Bodin and Howe.

Clearly they see things in training etc that we don't.

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Fair enough Fonda i just don't understand why Yeoman ( who we should give a run out now just as a gamble ) and Jarvis ( who is the only bloke other than Howe who scores ) are on the bench! Benners has scored 1 in about 12 or something. Bodin will never score, Chappell is more a wide man who tend to stay wide and Morris is a good player but slow and hardly prolific. We need goals and if Howe doesn't get them then the only players that can are on the bench!! A bit weird.

Scott, it's about what you do on the pitch not on the training ground. I bet Balotelli does f*ck all on the training ground and sits down smoking a cigar but scores when it matters.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Scott Brehaut wrote:THREE managers have not rated Macklin and Craig.

The same three managers have rated Bodin and Howe.

Clearly they see things in training etc that we don't.
on the pitch though scott, and judging by the reports from the posters, bodin doesnt seem the player that they obviously see.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Sponsors of Lirak Hasani, 2024-2025
We now head Due South to all games!

TUST Member 468

tauntongull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Aaron Downes

Post by tauntongull »

Fonda wrote:Rene Howe remains the player in the squad most likely to take a chance when it's presented. We don't make many, so it's vital that he is in the side to take advantage. Part of the reason that we've struggled so much is that we don't have any strength in depth. Our best players are in the team. Those behind them don't offer anything else.
whilst it may be true that we lack creativity and to a certain extent strength behind Rene, you cannot dispute that his contribution has been seriously affected over the last several games despite the formation change and the addition of Jarvis / Benyon alongside him. His hold up play has been poor, his discipline has let himself and the club down and the supercharged Rene chasing a ball across the width of the pitch has gone - this gives fans hope and inspires support, I see no difference in his attitude or commitment over the last several games and can find no reason to simply offer a place in the side by right, you have to earn it and I do not think he is playing anywhere near his potential at the moment. Indeed I was even thinking of putting a bet on him getting a Yellow v Barnet so he can end his season early!
May not be the original, but I am the best 'TauntonGull' .... See I can do signatures too, coz I am a real boy!
miltonkeynesgull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by miltonkeynesgull »

Just got home, and totally gutted. I know we weren't expected to get anything, but once more TUFC raised my hopes before cruelly dashing them.

We were magnificent in the first half. Really, absolutely magnificent. Gillingham had the better of the first 15/20 minutes - certainly possession wise - but didn't do a great deal with it, and Rice wasn't really troubled. The longer the half went on, the more we came into it. Rene hit the post when through on goal, before having a shot off the line. Mansell then had a shot well saved, before Morris blasted wide on the half volley, and Downes headed just over from a corner. Rice was called into action a couple of times before half time, including one excellent acrobatic tip over of a long range effort. The boys went off to a standing ovation, having made the champions elect look very ordinary.

The second half, however, couldn't have been more different. Once again, we conceded right after the break. Nicho (who had an atrocious game) failed to deal with an innocuous high ball, letting Kedwell in to fire past Rice's near post (via a Nicho deflection). Heads visibly dropped, and we offered very little else all game, and there was only one side in it. Only a few smart stops from Rice stopped it being more. We could've snatched a point at the death, though, as Nicho hit the crossbar with a 25 yard free kick. When your luck's out...

Huge missed opportunity to finish off a spirited first half performance, even with it being against the champions of the league (congratulations to Gillingham, by the way). If we don't beat Barnet, I think it's all over.
tauntongull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Aaron Downes

Post by tauntongull »

And somebody said did we expect anything from the Gillingham game.? When you are 1-0 down with 10 mins to go you always expect something. Before the game i didn't but at 1-0 I always will. Just a shame we can't go that extra mile and get it.
May not be the original, but I am the best 'TauntonGull' .... See I can do signatures too, coz I am a real boy!
tktufc91
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Dan Lavercombe

Post by tktufc91 »

I'm not upset with the result. I would have taken a 1-0 defeat before the game and our first half performance was very good.

What upset me was the 2nd half performance. Apart from Nichos free kick, we hardly make a chance to equalise and his performance was quite frankly appalling. Cruise in on Saturday is a must.

Ricey did ok. Was very hesitant to come for the ball but made some good saves, although Gillingham were very wasteful with their efforts.

At least it didn't rain and Stanley did us a massive favor. And good luck to Gillingham next season.
Na, na na, NA NA NA NA, NA NA NA NA, TORQUAY!
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Went off to sulk and only realized just now Stanley scored another late goal and nicked a point, bit of indirect luck York have stinking run-in from here, that Stanley goal could have done us a huge favour.
Formerly known as forevertufc
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

What do you all think of Knills chopping and changing of personnel? I think it is good to have a manager who isn't afraid to drop players and give others a chance but i can't help thinking he's gone a bit mad with it all. I find a lot of his selections and substitutions a bit odd and if he is trying to frighten players into not taking their places for granted, well there's only a few games left so i hardly think they will be that bothered as they have an entire summer to re-impress of find another club if they aren't happy. Anyone else or is ot just me
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Super Jason Fowler

Post by Fonda »

[quote="SuperNickyWroe"quote]

dont quite agree with that regarding today mate.

we should have started with jarvis and cruise and possibly craig.[/quote]

Don't necessarily disagree mate. In part anyway. Cruise should always be in the team - and in fairness to Knill, it wasn't until he got here that Thomas got a look in. I like Craig a lot, but he has to play centrally. And he has to play in a central 3 really, and that's not a formation I'm a fan of. Jarvis is a worker and did score a splendid goal a couple of weeks ago. But he's not a winger - and if he can't get in the side as a striker, I wouldn't have him wide. It's an increasingly controversial POV, but I'm still a Benyon fan, and believe in his ability to score goals. Unfortunately, he's only just approaching match fitness now.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
Dutchgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Dutchgull »

Its you !! :lol: :lol:
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

austrianandygull wrote:What do you all think of Knills chopping and changing of personnel? I think it is good to have a manager who isn't afraid to drop players and give others a chance but i can't help thinking he's gone a bit mad with it all. I find a lot of his selections and substitutions a bit odd and if he is trying to frighten players into not taking their places for granted, well there's only a few games left so i hardly think they will be that bothered as they have an entire summer to re-impress of find another club if they aren't happy. Anyone else or is ot just me
Well today Andy, think he got the starting line up by and large spot on, he clearly tried to shore things up and went for experience at the back which was the right thing to do and nearly worked against a side going for the league, only difference for me would have been Cruise, said it many atime Nicho is and will allways be a club legend, however his legs are gone.
Last edited by Dave on 06 Apr 2013, 19:38, edited 1 time in total.
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Super Jason Fowler

Post by Fonda »

tauntongull wrote:whilst it may be true that we lack creativity and to a certain extent strength behind Rene, you cannot dispute that his contribution has been seriously affected over the last several games despite the formation change and the addition of Jarvis / Benyon alongside him. His hold up play has been poor, his discipline has let himself and the club down and the supercharged Rene chasing a ball across the width of the pitch has gone - this gives fans hope and inspires support, I see no difference in his attitude or commitment over the last several games and can find no reason to simply offer a place in the side by right, you have to earn it and I do not think he is playing anywhere near his potential at the moment. Indeed I was even thinking of putting a bet on him getting a Yellow v Barnet so he can end his season early!
He might very well be struggling for form currently - but strikers in poor teams do tend to find things difficult. And if he has grown frustrated by the absolute incompetence around him, it's hardly surprising. He remains the best striker in our squad, and the most likely to nick a goal (as he very nearly did today again). It would be madness to drop him, and put our hopes in completely unproven players, just as some kind of punishment for him daring to go off the boil. Unfortunately, our other strikers simply aren't good enough to justify such a change.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
Burnhamgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Burnhamgull »

Lloyder5 wrote:Versus York City 23-03-2013
Really??????

The kids in the middle of the popside aren't as loud as they think.
TUFC never fails to let its fanbase down.

27/08/18 - Time to step back from this shambles and focus on things in life that make me happy. TUFC doesn't.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Agreed Shane, next week is a massive match it may well all hinge on these next 90 mins, said it before take the passion out of Rene Howe you lose a chunk of the player and I think he over the last few games has tried so hard not to get booked that is excatly what has happened.

If I was Alan Knill, I would take Rene to one side and say I not worried if you get booked, tell him to get fired up and do what he does best, if he gets a yellow so be it, we have to win.

On a side note , agree with Lloyder5 , that match was not about the kids in the middle, during those last 20 minutes against York all 3 sides of the ground were singing, that wasa top effort by all.