Portsmouth v Torquay

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Greybeardedgull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Greybeardedgull »

Naaa naaa naaaa na na na nar na na nar Torquay, na na nar Torquay, do u mean that song I found myself singing? Hey Jude.
Rjc70
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie

Post by Rjc70 »

Greybeardedgull wrote:Naaa naaa naaaa na na na nar na na nar Torquay, na na nar Torquay, do u mean that song I found myself singing? Hey Jude.
From where I was, I think a lot of people who wouldn't ordinarily join in with the singing were doing just that to this one. Thought it really galvanised us toward the end. It sounded great. Real goosebumps job. A brilliant and emotional day out and one to remember and savour.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

I've mentioned before my trip to Wolves earlier this season. For those who haven't been, they have a Molineux tradition involving the song Hi Ho Silver Lining. They play it from the beginning over the tannoy and everyone mainly ignores it, right up until the title line, when they stop the music and the crowd, in unison, sing "hi ho Wolver'ampton". Then they go quiet again. It's extremely effective and sounds great.
I think we could happily do the same thing with Hey Jude, if we do wished. Alas, I fear that a crowd full of Hectors and Tezzas would simply tut and mumble something about 'Godforsaken modern music' being the cause of Broken Britain. Still, I might suggest it and see what happens.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
taunton_gull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by taunton_gull »

I'd be all for this, especially if it replaces the terrible sweet caroline which has never been a suitable pre-match song.
The original taunton_gull!!!
Greybeardedgull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Greybeardedgull »

Amen Matt and fellow Gulls,
Yesterdays rendition of Hey Jude certainly had me singing along and was a real blast from the past. It sounded superb. Winning on such a superb day out with such a superb turn out might have had a bit to do wi it aswell.........Na na na nar Torquay.
diamondgirl
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Aaron Downes

Post by diamondgirl »

At last seasons away game with the Wombles the real "Hey Jude" was played, pre match, over the tannoy system. It was brilliant and everyone joined in. It went on for ages. It would make a fabulous, uplifting TUFC anthem.
"Thing's turn out best when you make the best of the way thing's turn out."
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

That's debatable. It would also drive a lot of people away from Plainmoor, which is what would happen whatever fashionable 'music' or 'song' was played. It might please some but certainly not all. Most of us go to watch a football match, not to listen to a bloody 'pop' concert.. :@
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

If people are "driven away" from supporting their local football team because of 6 seconds of pre-match music then we don't want them there in the first place.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

ferrarilover wrote:If people are "driven away" from supporting their local football team because of 6 seconds of pre-match music then we don't want them there in the first place.
Matt.
Okay we'll go along with six seconds pre-match.. :~D

Provided we're also allowed to sing the Marseillaise.. =D

Or this as a compromise, would be ideal for the popside: :-D
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

I like that Hey Jude thing but it's not unique. AC Northampton fans sang it when I sat with them at Chesterfield adding 'Cobblers' on to the end of the na na na naaa bits. Other sides use it a lot too and the Hi Ho Silver Lining song has been used for many years by Sheffield Wednesday, they used to walk out to it but I'm not sure if they still do. They sang hi ho Sheffield Wednesday. So I reckon both should be dumped in favour of something original if poss and get our own unique signature song. Like the hey jude though but the hi ho one is embarrassing.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
taxilady
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Micky Cave RIP
Watches from: Pop side

Post by taxilady »

unique ? 'Oh United, the best team in the land; oh United, we've really got things planned. We've got the team, we've got the fight & that should see us through, to stay in Division Two' (something like that, ala Dick Edwards...who's got the record ?) Hey Jude was just right at Fratton Park, it saw us over the 93 minutes hurdle; not sure I want to sing it at every match, but it was magical on Saturday !
We'll Be Back ! TTID

TUST share number 066
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Thing is Andy, the adapted hey Jude chant may not be unique, but that doesn't matter. Down the seasons many have tried and failed to get new chants going, most in the ground wont join in with the continental chants.

Looking around the TU forums, it appears even those TUFC fans currently sat in God's waiting room liked this chant, and that's the thing, the team want atmosphere and if it means copying a chant that the whole ground join in with, so be it, something different to the god for shaken chorus after chorus, of yellow army.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

Andrew Candy - Perhaps we could play 'Hey Jude' before the game on Saturday or something? Perhaps after 'Robert Miles - Children' and before the players kick off, get the crowd going roaring 'Hey Jude'.
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

Just as long as there isn't any drumming!
diamondgirl
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Aaron Downes

Post by diamondgirl »

Forever is spot on. Its got to be something that everyone knows. Hey Jude can be "Sung", with gusto, by pretty much anybody, no matter how bad you sing. Dogs can sing it, Chickens can sing it and even Frogs can sing it.

Taxilady, you are saying that you are not sure you want to sing it at every match but, again as Forever has said, there is nothing worse than "Yellow Army" and "Come on you Yellows, Yellows Yellows" which is the best we can do at the moment, and thats ONLY when we get a corner!! :(

The thing that annoys me most, is that we spend more time chanting/singing about the opposition than we do our own team. "Your ground's too big for you" and the "I wanna go home, ****** a s***hole, I wanna go home" are a couple that spring to mind. I appreciate that its all part and parcel, but I think our efforts would be better put to use singing the virtues of Torquay United.

We need, again as Forever has said,to create a better atmosphere, especially at Plainmoor, and I believe that "Hey Jude" would do that.

Gullscorer. If we are there to watch a football match, not a pop concert, perhaps you would like the stadium to remain silent, with polite applause at the "Interval" and on the full time whistle? Now that WOULD drive people away. :)
"Thing's turn out best when you make the best of the way thing's turn out."