Next Manager- confirmed: Kevin Nicholson

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
divingbboy
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Kevin Nicholson

Post by divingbboy »

potnoodle wrote:Certainly not Peter Taylor you got that from 'petering' really!

I'm no wind up merchant. I'm not the only one to state it's Nico.
If this turns out to be true, someone's been slipping LSD into the drinking water in the boardroom.
TUST member 203
Rjc70
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie

Post by Rjc70 »

He didn't say it IS either one of them, potnoodle. Only you did.
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

hector wrote:I really do not think that Steve Breed would go for Nicholson. He would be aware - more than most people - of the stick that Thea got for going down the #legend route with Hargreaves.

It is always lazy speculation when the likes of Joyce, Nicholson, Russell are mentioned. Why is it people struggle to look further than Devon when thinking of a manager? If the club appointed someone like that they would be opening themselves up to some awful stick and I really do not think they can afford to isolate even more supporters.

Having gone down the Paul Cox route, I think (or at least I hope) they would want someone with similar credentials. Our stock has dropped even further now, in just a few months, so the likes of Aspin, who some may have turned their noses up at, is probably about the best we can hope for.

If there really have been 129 applicants and of those half are serious ones, then I would be disappointed - in fact dismayed - if we ended up with some returning hero, whether that is Kevin Nicholson or Sean Joyce.
Totally agree with you.
If it were Nico then the club might have saved itself the bother and kept Chris Hargreaves.
Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by Dazza »

It would be folly.
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

If those on here who seem determined to have an ex-player why not Chris Todd who led Eastleigh to an unexpected victory at unbeaten Wrexham yesterday?
I believe he lives in Cullompton.
ROADRUNNER
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: clint boulton

Post by ROADRUNNER »

if its nico or tully or joyce then turn the lights out and lock the doors on your way out. :red:
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Gulliball »

Can't really argue with that. Paying Hargreaves off was a massive financial decision for a club with no money. Bringing in Paul Cox made that worthwhile, but without a contract there was no security and it blew up in our face within two months of the season.

We're now looking to bring in a new manager, that will have to work with Paul Cox's squad (which is an 'unusual' style I think it's fair to say) plus whatever wheeling and dealing he can do without money.

I think that if given the chance to start over, they might do things differently. We're now backed into a corner and relying on a new manager to save us, and this is someone who is going to be cheap, in other words, not proven.
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

What I can't understand is, why are we having such a downer on the club or Nicho, before 1, he's even been appointed or 2, we've seen what as manager he might be capable of.

Surely in our clubs position what we have to do is support whoever is appointed tomorrow, what other choice do we have ?
Formerly known as forevertufc
ROADRUNNER
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by ROADRUNNER »

I Will support the club and manager whoever is appointed as i have done for the last 50 years, nico was a legend as aplayer and a lovely bloke, i just dont see him as the next manager and dont think things will change with him in charge, i feel we need an old head for this challenge but if he is put in charge then so be it and i hope im proved wrong , i will see support my team until the lights are well and truly out.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Just to add. The thing that's most worrying, having read the forums and social media, is the total lack of understanding, of where our club really is right now, TUFC does not have £1,000 a week for manager, who's going to re-locate down here for the money our clubs likely to paying.

As much as I, like everyone else do not want a #legend former player appointed as manager, Nicho I believe still lives right here in Torquay, he is working towards his coaching badges, he would right now, be common sense in terms of being an affordable appointment.
Formerly known as forevertufc
BayGull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Jools Holland

Post by BayGull »

Chris Myers ... discuss!
ROADRUNNER
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by ROADRUNNER »

well lets see what happens, i understand what your saying about the money although i would assume the money deano was on will go to paying a manager so thats a good start, whoever it is we will have to support the club and i dont understand why people say they wont go near plainmoor if nico is put in charge, that doesnt really help does it.
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

forevertufc wrote:What I can't understand is, why are we having such a downer on the club or Nicho, before 1, he's even been appointed or 2, we've seen what as manager he might be capable of.

Surely in our clubs position what we have to do is support whoever is appointed tomorrow, what other choice do we have ?
:goodpost:

Added in 4 minutes 11 seconds:
hector wrote:I really do not think that Steve Breed would go for Nicholson. He would be aware - more than most people - of the stick that Thea got for going down the #legend route with Hargreaves.

It is always lazy speculation when the likes of Joyce, Nicholson, Russell are mentioned. Why is it people struggle to look further than Devon when thinking of a manager? If the club appointed someone like that they would be opening themselves up to some awful stick and I really do not think they can afford to isolate even more supporters.

Having gone down the Paul Cox route, I think (or at least I hope) they would want someone with similar credentials. Our stock has dropped even further now, in just a few months, so the likes of Aspin, who some may have turned their noses up at, is probably about the best we can hope for.

If there really have been 129 applicants and of those half are serious ones, then I would be disappointed - in fact dismayed - if we ended up with some returning hero, whether that is Kevin Nicholson or Sean Joyce.
Speaking personally it's because we keep bringing in managers from 'up country' who commute from some god forsaken place. They sign players from up-country who commute from some god forsaken place and in the end everyone gets homesick and f*ck$ off leaving us in the sh!t.
Why not go local? Why not go Devonshire? Why not bring people in to the club that the locals can identify with and get behind. Maybe, just maybe, if there were some locals at the club there might, just might be a few more locals in the stand...
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

nickbrod wrote:If those on here who seem determined to have an ex-player why not Chris Todd who led Eastleigh to an unexpected victory at unbeaten Wrexham yesterday?
I believe he lives in Cullompton.

Todd was interviewed but is likely to get the Eastleigh job so ruled himself out ;-)
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
A Realist
First Regular
First Regular
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by A Realist »

forevertufc wrote:Just to add. The thing that's most worrying, having read the forums and social media, is the total lack of understanding, of where our club really is right now, TUFC does not have £1,000 a week for manager, who's going to re-locate down here for the money our clubs likely to paying.

As much as I, like everyone else do not want a #legend former player appointed as manager, Nicho I believe still lives right here in Torquay, he is working towards his coaching badges, he would right now, be common sense in terms of being an affordable appointment.
No disrespect but how do you know that the club has no money for a manager? Budgets have bee slashed, people have left and as we have heard a lot recently, they intended to sit down with Cox and discuss a contract next month. They have saved a lot of money behind the scenes and its more than likely that that is why they felt they could start paying Cox properly. Although the club simply cannot afford to run like it did under Thea Bristow et al, it is still a relatively big club for this league. As it stands the average crowd is the 8th best in the league. Tranmere, Wrexham and Grimsby will always be miles ahead of the rest this season but after that there is not much in it really.

Nicholson brings absolutely nothing to the table in terms of his suitability for the job. You mentioned that you think there is a lack of understanding of where the club is at and I agree. Its at the lowest point in its history and there is a real chance of relegation this season. So how anyone could think that bringing in a 34 year player from a league below who has no experience whatsoever is beyond me. All sentiment has to be put aside here and if the club really are going to give him the job then its a decision thats been made with the heart and not the head. Which is seriously worrying. I would also seriously doubt that it was a unanimous decision either and I would love to know who has made it. Again this is if he gets the job.

I know and understand why some are saying that the fans need to get behind whoever it is but the reality is that fans react to results and relative success.