Player Search - Who Will Turn Up?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Errrr Bawling has a long dark history..............................of playing at a higher level than where we are now. Oh woe is me every other club has already built a promotion winning squad and its only June 4th.
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

brucie wrote: 04 Jun 2018, 21:56 Errrr Bawling has a long dark history..............................of playing at a higher level than where we are now. Oh woe is me every other club has already built a promotion winning squad and its only June 4th.
Time to start praying as Owers has not got an easy job as his retained players are in two minds to stay. It would be easier to find good part-time players.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

brucie wrote: 04 Jun 2018, 21:56 Errrr Bawling has a long dark history..............................of playing at a higher level than where we are now. Oh woe is me every other club has already built a promotion winning squad and its only June 4th.
Errr I think part of the debate by some is whilst admitting he was at a higher level errr he was not always playing (injury etc).

I personally think he is a pretty good signing for our regional level. Even I am having to get to grip with the fact that by and large we are now playing in a league with small budgeted part time clubs with eye-popping grounds, and accept there are a couple of clubs who are an exception to this rule.
sgf
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by sgf »

Some of these postings are bordering on hysterical.

It is the 4th June, not July, not August, JUNE!!

Why don't we all just let him do his job and judge later. I would rather wait and get the right players than get the usual shower of shit.

Unless I'm mistaken our squad was sorted pretty early last season and we still ended up with an ice cream maker, two with heart defects, a one armed goal keeper with the reserve keeper barely out of puberty

More haste less speed.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

And you say other postings are hysterical......
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
CP Gull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by CP Gull »

sgf wrote: 05 Jun 2018, 01:05 Some of these postings are bordering on hysterical.

Unless I'm mistaken our squad was sorted pretty early last season and we still ended up with an ice cream maker, two with heart defects, a one armed goal keeper with the reserve keeper barely out of puberty
Now that IS hysterical. :lol:
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

5th of June. Contract offers expired (supposedly) on the 1st. Nothing from the club about this. No new players announced for three weeks (come tomorrow). 6 players on the books (only 4 of them wanted). Owers planning for this season started before the end of the last. Good times.
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
CP Gull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by CP Gull »

Richinns wrote: 05 Jun 2018, 16:09 5th of June. Contract offers expired (supposedly) on the 1st. Nothing from the club about this. No new players announced for three weeks (come tomorrow). 6 players on the books (only 4 of them wanted). Owers planning for this season started before the end of the last. Good times.
Yes, I think it is concerning that there has been so little movement. I get what people are saying about .... its only the first week in June .... but the reality is that it’s probably less than four weeks now until the players return to pre season training, and five weeks today that the pre season friendlies start.

All the talk at the end of April, before the season had even ended, was that there was already a lot of planning being done, players identified and even talk of “cash bids” being made to clubs for players .... that was 6 weeks or more ago and we have seen nothing of any significance since, bar the signing of just the one “new” player.

The fact that FOUR of the SIX existing players who were offered “generous” (or so I have been told) terms to stay with us have still not signed up yet is even more cause for concern. The “deadline” for them committing has passed and yet we have still heard nothing from the club - of course, there may be a reason for that, the club understandably doesnt want to bring up bad news during a period when it is trying to sell season tickets - but its surely looking increasingly likely that none of these players wants to stay. Of course from the players concerned point of view, until such time as they have a “better” offer elsewhere they would more than likely be happy to “string the club along”for as long as it takes - but Owers and Harrop need to take a firm line on this. After all, what is the point of setting a deadline if you don’t adhere to it!!!

My concern though is that he (Owers) has through his own choice, left himself a really big rebuilding job to do. We need to sign, as a minimum, ideally something like a dozen players or more, to be able to put out any sort of team in five weeks time - at the moment that looks like a very tall order - and the silence from the club is deafening!!!!

Owers has put his reputation on the line, his contacts are supposedly extensive and he has now got the opportunity to put together his squad, which is what he has asked he be judged by all along - well with just four players in the building (plus two he has made clear he doesnt want) he has got an awful lot of work to do! I just hope that he can genuinely secure the targets that he wants and that we don’t end up going through the whole of pre season with a team stuffed full of hopeful trialists!
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

Gary Owers:" I said send supplies."
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by MellowYellow »

CP Gull wrote: 05 Jun 2018, 16:39 Yes, I think it is concerning that there has been so little movement. I get what people are saying about .... its only the first week in June .... but the reality is that it’s probably less than four weeks now until the players return to pre season training, and five weeks today that the pre season friendlies start.

All the talk at the end of April, before the season had even ended, was that there was already a lot of planning being done, players identified and even talk of “cash bids” being made to clubs for players .... that was 6 weeks or more ago and we have seen nothing of any significance since, bar the signing of just the one “new” player.

The fact that FOUR of the SIX existing players who were offered “generous” (or so I have been told) terms to stay with us have still not signed up yet is even more cause for concern. The “deadline” for them committing has passed and yet we have still heard nothing from the club - of course, there may be a reason for that, the club understandably doesnt want to bring up bad news during a period when it is trying to sell season tickets - but its surely looking increasingly likely that none of these players wants to stay. Of course from the players concerned point of view, until such time as they have a “better” offer elsewhere they would more than likely be happy to “string the club along”for as long as it takes - but Owers and Harrop need to take a firm line on this. After all, what is the point of setting a deadline if you don’t adhere to it!!!

My concern though is that he (Owers) has through his own choice, left himself a really big rebuilding job to do. We need to sign, as a minimum, ideally something like a dozen players or more, to be able to put out any sort of team in five weeks time - at the moment that looks like a very tall order - and the silence from the club is deafening!!!!

Owers has put his reputation on the line, his contacts are supposedly extensive and he has now got the opportunity to put together his squad, which is what he has asked he be judged by all along - well with just four players in the building (plus two he has made clear he doesnt want) he has got an awful lot of work to do! I just hope that he can genuinely secure the targets that he wants and that we don’t end up going through the whole of pre season with a team stuffed full of hopeful trialists!
:goodpost:
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by MellowYellow »

Owers said he was relieved when the final whistle went on the last match of the season because then:

“Everything after that will be under my control.”

In my opinion, that is reason enough for anyone to became hysterical... :whistle:
Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Dazza »

I appreciate it's the holiday season and people may be away but if you want to sell season tickets you surely don't have a 3 week period where you keep ultra low profile and go dumb. Rightly or wrongly it breeds concern.
Cruisinho
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane

Post by Cruisinho »

Exeter have announced their retained list. Any chance of the released being interested in coming here? I see Ryan Brunt is among them....
sgf
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by sgf »

Cruisinho wrote: 05 Jun 2018, 21:53 Exeter have announced their retained list. Any chance of the released being interested in coming here? I see Ryan Brunt is among them....
No
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

Another day seemingly drifts by.....
HE supposedly states today (although not online!) that two are due to sign if they pass medicals....with no physio at the club I wonder who will be doing those?!
Also says Owers is 'hopeful' two of the four offered contracts from last year will sign......seems we are being strung along and not going to play hardball with deadlines then!
Owes also states he is 'open minded' to Gowling and Pittman staying.....I would suspect there is no choice with that pal!
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/