Player Search - Who Will Turn Up?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

Seeing biterbryn (whoever he may be) is knowledgeable on all things Whitby Town no doubt he will tell you that in our last game we had a Jack, a Dan, a Kevin, an Andrew, a Matthew and a Luke (among others).
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Gulliball »

Can see both sides of this. It's better than nothing, and we're still two months away from needing to have a finalised squad, so it's probably worth a shot to see what you can turn up.

That said, having 70+ trialists on the same day seems a pretty impossible situation to judge. I wouldn't like to be the TUFC employee that has to find the needle in that haystack, or the trialist that has to make his wood stand out amongst the 69 trees.

Ultimately, this is trawling, which is the sort of behaviour we've been forced into by the budget in recent years. If that's our budget again for 2018/19, then fine, but with talk of 'substantial' cash bids for players then this was very unlikely to result in a signing. You can never overlook a trialist - Alex Russell, Eunan O'Kane, and in more recent years Angus MacDonald, all arrived via trial, but our success next season will depend on targeting players we want to bring here and then successfully doing so, which comes down to budget. Finding someone via a 70+ player trial would be a bonus rather than something you can depend on.
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

Gulliball wrote: 05 May 2018, 17:52 Can see both sides of this. It's better than nothing, and we're still two months away from needing to have a finalised squad, so it's probably worth a shot to see what you can turn up.

That said, having 70+ trialists on the same day seems a pretty impossible situation to judge. I wouldn't like to be the TUFC employee that has to find the needle in that haystack, or the trialist that has to make his wood stand out amongst the 69 trees.

Ultimately, this is trawling, which is the sort of behaviour we've been forced into by the budget in recent years. If that's our budget again for 2018/19, then fine, but with talk of 'substantial' cash bids for players then this was very unlikely to result in a signing. You can never overlook a trialist - Alex Russell, Eunan O'Kane, and in more recent years Angus MacDonald, all arrived via trial, but our success next season will depend on targeting players we want to bring here and then successfully doing so, which comes down to budget. Finding someone via a 70+ player trial would be a bonus rather than something you can depend on.
I believe it was over two days actually.

I would think that the management had a few specific players they wanted to check out and a lot of the rest were just there to give these players a platform to show what they could do. And always the off-chance that a hidden gem might be spotted.
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

I heard today that a few players were Nicholson's and did not want to play for Ower's noticed the main one is on the transfer list and needs to be kicked out as if it's true he's let all of us down. :@
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

Gosh you don't mean Josh?
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Jackie Gallagher

Post by Teigngull »

Wolborough wrote: 05 May 2018, 15:37 Owers said there were 70 odd players involved in the trials and maybe one or two would be further looked at. This sounds utterly pathetic so can only surmise we will end up with a load of last minute dross for next season. Hope I am wrong but not impressed so far!
Dammed if he does dammned if he doesnt , ffs man get real , we are in a situation where trying to dig out a rough diamond should be commended not castigated.
Christ, if by any chance GO has found someone worth persisting in he isn't going to shout it from the bloody roof tops is he, cards close to the chest at this stage is the way to go.
At least he's being proactive & he should be congratulated for it.
So well done Gary Owers from me , for now, I'll judge you & YOUR squad after approx 10 games of next season, when we should all get a decent perspective of where we're heading.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Not 4?
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

Research has showed that managers who perform below expectation usually remain that way and therefore it may be optimal to remove them from office sooner rather than later. So I think 4 games might be a tad generous, I would be inclined to allow 2 games next season (pre-season friendlies preferably) bearing in mind it will take 10 further games to replace him.
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

You may or may not be right but here's a story that could be relevant. When Darrell Clarke was appointed manager at Bristol Rovers on the first day of pre-season he had to take down leaflets calling for his head that had been stuck up at their training ground. Having been at Salisbury he knew what the level was all about but he got his recruitment bang on. Owers needs to do the same so let's see how the coming weeks pan out.
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Teigngull »

Southampton Gull wrote: 05 May 2018, 21:15 Not 4?
I think you'll find it's was nearer the 100 games mark,if your talking about the lauded one (KN).
2 & a bit seasons is ample for someone to get it right including 2 close/pre seasons to assemble your own squad of players not just picking the bits out of what's not wanted after everybody else has finished their shopping.
Oh Lord master, please forgive me if I come across as Merseiful .
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by MellowYellow »

nickbrod wrote: 05 May 2018, 22:15 You may or may not be right but here's a story that could be relevant. When Darrell Clarke was appointed manager at Bristol Rovers on the first day of pre-season he had to take down leaflets calling for his head that had been stuck up at their training ground. Having been at Salisbury he knew what the level was all about but he got his recruitment bang on. Owers needs to do the same so let's see how the coming weeks pan out.
Good point. But Clarke was only assistant manager up until April for Rovers relegation season to NL and only replaced manager John Ward for the final few games. But Rovers fans wanted a head to roll so Clarke was the target for failing to get the one point needed to avoid relegation. It was in his first full season in charge that they go promoted releasing 16 players and signing 13 players on free transfers. After a poor start (good job he was not managing TUFC) ended the campaign in second place, won play-offs and back to the football league.

So the moral of the story is promote your assistant manager to 'make the difference'. Hope Kuhl has got his managerial manual at the ready.
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Teigngull »

It makes me wonder what some of you were expecting when the following were appointed
Chris Hargreaves - appointed on the it's not what you know it's who you know, ultimately turned into failure.
Paul Cox - Came in with the impossible task of doing the job on little or no security & false promises salary wise.
Kevin Nicholson - sorry but friends in the right places again, no experience, but managed to keep his head above water but time took its toll & when it started to sink it was going down fast.
Robbie Herrera- never was going to get the job.
Gary Owers- took an eternity to appoint (not his fault) inherited a team of crocks & not fit for purpose players (again, not his fault)
forced to root through the lucky dips, player wise, unlucky with most of his signings except for 1 or 2 gems but it was all to late. Up to date of this post, not been good, but is going nowhere, has a chance to put it right, let's see.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

So 4 games it is then?
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by MellowYellow »

Teigngull wrote: 05 May 2018, 22:32 I think you'll find it's was nearer the 100 games mark,if your talking about the lauded one (KN).
2 & a bit seasons is ample for someone to get it right including 2 close/pre seasons to assemble your own squad of players not just picking the bits out of what's not wanted after everybody else has finished their shopping.
Oh Lord master, please forgive me if I come across as Merseiful .
O'dear back to that old chestnut. Do correct me if I am wrong but did not the former CO of the club say. when asked on this forum what the previous incumbents remit was for the first two seasons, "easy answer... keep us in the league which he achieved".
So lets keep it to this season stats i.e. - 4 games = failure against 38 games + relegation = mission accomplished/
Go figure!
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Teigngull »

Sorry mellow, I was just replying to Dave's post, sorry once again if we disagree but this is a forum to discuss all things TUFC, past & present. If you don't wish to be ' bored' by the same old 'chestnut', then don't bloody comment, doh !