Pre-season friendlies 2018

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by stefano »

desperado wrote: 24 May 2018, 20:16 Mike Turner - certainly no John Turner, dont think he played many first team games, played a few after
Terry Adlingtons career ended at Shrewsbury, before Gary Mcguire who didnt last long after our
promotion, another injury perhaps or maybe he went back to Australia, dont remember, but thought
he was an excellent keeper
Mike made his debut for the 1st XI in the town of the Crooked Spire (hands up all of you who think that is Ermington). I think he played about 10-15 games in all for the 1st XI but had been a regular and reliable standby playing for the reserves. I have played against 3 of the clubs we will face next year. Mind you we did all drink and smoke (including Colin Bettany but exclude me from the smoking) too much so wouldn't be able to hack it these days particularly as the pitch isn't a mud bath any more (how the hell can you mark a fast winger properly if he isn't stuck to the ground?). Surprised you didn't mention Andy Donnelly. Lovely man and such a great contribution to the best period the club have had. John Turner followed Gary McGuire and Andy Donnelly followed John Turner. They were all well loved by the supporters but is probably an indication of how ruthless but bloody professional Frank O'Farrell was. Still can't turn the clock back....thanks for the memories.... ;-)
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

desperado wrote: 24 May 2018, 20:16Mike Turner - certainly no John Turner, dont think he played many first team games, played a few after Terry Adlingtons career ended at Shrewsbury, before Gary Mcguire who didnt last long after our promotion, another injury perhaps or maybe he went back to Australia, dont remember, but thought he was an excellent keeper
Had the pleasure of a weekend in a Torquay hotel with the pair of them when Capital Gulls put on the Boys of 66 re-union some years back.....

Mike was the racontuer to be the daddy of all racontuers; great fun to be with and the life and soul of the party which included amongst others the incredible Mickey Somers with all his anecdotes of his old Hartlepool boss Brian Clough, wannabee nightclub singer Gerry King, and fellow Welsh crooner Tony Hellin and their wives.

Gary McGuire turned up in his top of the range Bentley; immaculate in his St George's Hill Golf Club blazer and slacks, and every inch the Surrey stockbroker with his elocutioned, clipped upper class English pronounciation. Not at all the Walthamstow kid turned Aussie footballer that Frank O'Farrell brought to the club and then dispensed with due to his continuing weight problem, replacing him with Andy Donnelly from Weymouth.

You could say the East London boy's 'done good'!
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

McGuire, Donnelly, Adlington: fabulous goalkeepers all. Only Neville Southall in later days can equal them.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

My personal; choice would be Mike Mahoney; along with Peter Wakeham before him, he went on to play at a level in the game never achieved by those other very good goalkeepers ~ Bill Glazier did very well too.

BTW.....the very last game I refereed in Devon before moving away, was the South Western League game between Teignmouth and St Blazey and the Cornish goalkeeper that day went on to great things. Nigel Martyn ~ remember him?

680 Football League games for Bristol Rovers (after allegedly having been spotted by Rovers' tea lady whilst she was on holiday!) Crystal Palace, Leeds United and Everton as well as 23 games of for the full England side and various age level caps before that.

He was good that day (nearly as good as me :whistle: ) but who would have thought.....
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Agree, it's Mahoney for me, saw a lot of away games in his time and he was absolutely sensational
Remember him winning Save of the Season on Match of the Day for Newcastle against Ipswich
Didnt see Wakeham or Glazier but for me John Turner would be second.
Think Stefano meant John Dunn when he said John Turner, didnt really rate him . Adlington and Geoff
Barnsley the first two I saw , Barnsley always wore a cap, nowadays they dont bother or have to borrow
them from the crowd
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by stefano »

desperado wrote: 25 May 2018, 13:52
Think Stefano meant John Dunn when he said John Turner.....
Yes I did one of those senior moments thanks....
tufcyellowarmy
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Rodney Jack
Watches from: Pop side

Post by tufcyellowarmy »

Fair play to Warnock for giving us a decent pre season game against Cardiff City. Bloody stout fellow !
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

Yes, sorry, Mahoney too among the three (four) greats.