Barnet v Torquay United Sat 30th January KO 3pm

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
gateman49
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: George McBrearty

Post by gateman49 »

desperado wrote: 30 Jan 2021, 17:52 ....The table will obviously look a lot less comfortable when those 4 teams play their 3 games in hand but all we can do is keep piling up the points.
The table will look just as comfortable because no team can catch us on the basis of their games outstanding (even if they win them all - and that is a big big ask).
Nick Potkins
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Nick Potkins »

I believe we missed Randell in the midfield today, he opens up defences. The second goal come from a run of his and was not lost on me. Little was growing into the game and looked fantastic in the second half, clearly still getting to full match fitness. Street was ok, but the older head of Walters highlighted good hold up play and ability to win free kicks. Three points closer to the Promised Land. . .
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

A win and three points in the bag away from home is a great result. Whilst not the most entertaining of games it was nonetheless a polished performance by the lads - a wonderful (indeed superb) breakaway goal from Whitfield after 7min was just what the doctor ordered. No disrespect to Barnet who put up a gallant resistance, it did not appear to me that their strike force would score if they played on for another 90 mins. Thought we were in full control and Andrews well taken goal only confirmed that to me.

I know this was Street's first game so I don't want to sound too critical, but he did look a bit like a boy lost in a mans game out there today. Maybe I was, unfairly, expecting more than our own Olaf Koszela could offer. As a top of the league outfit I don't think we can be to experimental with our strikers and would have expected the experience of Waters to have been given the nod in the starting line-up. Be interesting to know what others think.

P.S. When did the requirement to hold a PHD to sign into a live-stream come into effect.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Don't quite follow that Gateman - the table will look just as comfortable?
Quite likely at least one of those 4 teams with 3 games in hand to will win 2 possibly all three meaning our lead would be 3 or 6 points - not as comfortable as 12
Gary didn't sound too unhappy in his interview but then we did win. He will know that Altrincham under Phil Parkinson will be a different kettle of fish and we will need to raise it a level from today.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

gateman49 wrote: 30 Jan 2021, 18:02 The table will look just as comfortable because no team can catch us on the basis of their games outstanding (even if they win them all - and that is a big big ask).
Also, Tuesday night...
Stockport v Sutton....
They both can't get 3pts.... :}
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Sponsors of Lirak Hasani, 2024-2025
We now head Due South to all games!

TUST Member 468

portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

When I look at the League Table and some Clubs have played 20 games and some many less I concentrate on points dropped
So the Top 5 tonight looks like this:

TUFC 20 60 points possible 17 dropped= 43 points 71.6% Our very impressive Win per cent age. Promotion Form after 4 months.

Hartlepool 19 57 24 = 33 57.9%

Stockport 17 51 20 =31 60.8%

Sutton 17 51 20 = 31 60.8%

Notts County 17 51 21 =30 58.8%
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

portugull wrote: 30 Jan 2021, 21:20 When I look at the League Table and some Clubs have played 20 games and some many less I concentrate on points dropped
So the Top 5 tonight looks like this:

TUFC 20 60 points possible 17 dropped= 43 points 71.6% Our very impressive Win per cent age. Promotion Form after 4 months.

Hartlepool 19 57 24 = 33 57.9%

Stockport 17 51 20 =31 60.8%

Sutton 17 51 20 = 31 60.8%

Notts County 17 51 21 =30 58.8%
Looks good portugull.... :)
As ever, points on the board count more than anything.... :)
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Sponsors of Lirak Hasani, 2024-2025
We now head Due South to all games!

TUST Member 468

brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Can't say I have been overly impressed with Street so far. Early days I know but don't think he is strong enough to play the loan striker role at all.

Also he doesn't appear to be able to head the ball properly, and he also missed an easy chance which would have sealed the game in the second half.

Can you imagine if Umerah had missed that chance yesterday? He would have been crucified. Umerah is more of a handful for defenders I reckon and still has a part to play. I think that was why Barnet had a fair share of possession at times ie we were not holding the ball up front.
gateman49
Skipper
Skipper

Post by gateman49 »

brucie wrote: 31 Jan 2021, 10:50 Can't say I have been overly impressed with Street so far. Early days I know but don't think he is strong enough to play the loan striker role at all.

Also he doesn't appear to be able to head the ball properly, and he also missed an easy chance which would have sealed the game in the second half.

Can you imagine if Umerah had missed that chance yesterday? He would have been crucified. Umerah is more of a handful for defenders I reckon and still has a part to play. I think that was why Barnet had a fair share of possession at times ie we were not holding the ball up front.
Spot on.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell

Post by portugull »

A couple of interesting stats after yesterdays result.

We have played 9 games at Home and 11 Away.

We have scored 40 goals exactly 2 per game and conceded just 17 0.85 per game.

Altrincham our opponents on Tuesday have played 8 at Home and 12 Away losing only 3 out of 12 Away. Suggests a very tricky match for the Gulls.
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell

Post by Modgull »

I agree with Brucie re Umerah
Phil

Remember its a marathon not a sprint
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

brucie wrote: 31 Jan 2021, 10:50 Can you imagine if Umerah had missed that chance yesterday? He would have been crucified. Umerah is more of a handful for defenders I reckon and still has a part to play. I think that was why Barnet had a fair share of possession at times ie we were not holding the ball up front.
Glad to see I am not the only one who believes Umerah brings more to the game than what many think. Agreed, he is not the finished product in goalscoring ability, but his ball holding ability giving those vital few seconds for the midfield to catch up with play is second to none. He's a big boy who gives the defence plenty to think about; puts them on the back foot and is not afraid to rough it up. Are there better out there - sure, but as a developing squad player who has contributed to our success we ought not to be too critical.
Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by Dazza »

It's amasing how people love trying to find a villain! Street is down here to learn the game and probably finding out what is all about by the minute. If he was more worldly and available he wouldn't be here. Umerah has good and bad moments but he wouldn't be here either if he was more consistent.
gateman49
Skipper
Skipper

Post by gateman49 »

Dazza wrote: 31 Jan 2021, 13:20 It's amasing how people love trying to find a villain! Street is down here to learn the game and probably finding out what is all about by the minute. If he was more worldly and available he wouldn't be here. Umerah has good and bad moments but he wouldn't be here either if he was more consistent.
I don't see any searching for a villain in the last few posts. In addition, we don't have the luxury of waiting for Street to 'learn the game', in fairness, I'm not sure that is exactly what you meant.

You then touch on a perennial issue for a club such as ours as we are always going to be prey to the big boys in the transfer market but that applies to the whole team.
Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by Dazza »

Crystal Palace have sent Steet down here to learn the game that's why he is here for the rest of the season and I am sure he will learn. Umerah is at the other end of the equation _ if he can he needs to broaden his game and that's a bigger ask but I'm sure he to will be looking to do that. I don't think its helped by fans trying to identify weak links when we are 10 points clear.