Wrexham v Torquay United Mon 5 April 3pm KO

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

brucie wrote: 05 Apr 2021, 23:52 Yes -I didn't think Wright would be much of a signing but he's always been a decent footballer and showed his merit again today with his ability to hold onto the ball.

He's so different to either Waters or Boden who were actually both dire in their attempts to retain any possession when we got the ball forward, and that's the main reason why we ended up under pressure at the end.

Waters did actually make the goal though, pulling the ball down well - the only contribution he made in the match. I'm not sure "we went for it" as you put it - we'd been completely under the cosh for the previous 15 minutes but it did end up as a stunning victory in the e
Praise indeed from you - of all people Brucie..... :)
DW will be delighted..... Neigh, ecstatic.
And that's all Waters needed to do.....
One good thing.
Which mattered.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Sponsors of Lirak Hasani, 2024-2025
We now head Due South to all games!

TUST Member 468

desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Gary Johnson must be tearing his hair out - what he's got left - to lose two more key players to injuries is beyond belief.
If it weren't for hamstrings we would almost certainly have won this league (we still might but it's a tough ask to win at Sutton to keep in the race)
If Kimpioka had arrived at Christmas as planned and we'd had him and Wright up front with Whitfield and Nemane on the wings we'd have one foot in League Two by now.
Nick Potkins
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Nick Potkins »

Delighted with the win and three more points. A nice gap between us and 8th place, the play offs are coming into view.

Further, a top three finish is still very much alive.

Fingers crossed with the injuries, if CLE is only one game we can cover with Little while having Andrews / Moxey on the left. This is why we have a squad, they will be tested again.

Keep believing 💛
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

I agree with Desperado, but lets be honest these injuries have not exactly crept up on us, the majority have occurred since Christmas and coincide with training on artificial pitches, our usual training facility only has see a drop of rain to make it unusable, plastic pitches are known to put more strain on muscles and ligaments more so when you usually spend most of your time on grass. I have never witnessed a season like this one for injuries, specifically hamstrings, I hope the club are having a good hard look at the reasons behind this because bad luck does not cover it.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

culmstockgull wrote: 06 Apr 2021, 13:19 I agree with Desperado, but lets be honest these injuries have not exactly crept up on us, the majority have occurred since Christmas and coincide with training on artificial pitches, our usual training facility only has see a drop of rain to make it unusable, plastic pitches are known to put more strain on muscles and ligaments more so when you usually spend most of your time on grass. I have never witnessed a season like this one for injuries, specifically hamstrings, I hope the club are having a good hard look at the reasons behind this because bad luck does not cover it.
It's obviously escaped your attention that they all haven't been hamstring injuries.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Sponsors of Lirak Hasani, 2024-2025
We now head Due South to all games!

TUST Member 468

MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

culmstockgull wrote: 06 Apr 2021, 13:19 .. lets be honest these injuries have not exactly crept up on us, the majority have occurred since Christmas and coincide with training on artificial pitches, ... plastic pitches are known to put more strain on muscles and ligaments
I follow the theory, it was my initial reaction but you start to ask how have Sutton stayed so injury free on their 3G pitches? When I played (on grass) I don't remember there being any hamstring epidemic as there is today. We certainly did not train as much as they do today and there may lay the problem - excessive training removing hamstring flexibility and tightening of the hamstring muscle. It's a fine balancing act in today modern game with the pace and speed applied by players during a game. In the first half of the season we pressed so high and so fiercely with speed we were unstoppable - but that may have also lead to our downfall with the players hamstring injuries coming thick and fast. If you pulled a hamstring back yonder you called the POLICE! …but not to take you away in cuffs! POLICE was the acronym for Protection, Optimal Loading, Ice, Compression and Elevation. No MRI scans them days just the magic sponge and rest.
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by happytorq »

I believe part of the reason that Kimpioka was loaned to us to help bring him back after suffering...a hamstring injury. So him having (presumably) a recurrence of that may not be the huge shock that you'd think.

ssuming both he and CLE are out on saturday, it's a bit of a blow, but in some way it could help; bring uin Andrews on the left, but Little in the middle (his preferred position) and suddenly things a lot more balanced.

Would like to see us start with Wright and Boden, but suspect we'll either revert to one up front (and bring another midfield in, possibly Buse) or go with Waters, who was...well..'frsutrating' yesterday.
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

A special word of praise for Joe Lewis.

When he ran to take along throw in the 93rd minute I thought this could just be a game changer.

Little did I really think we would score but by getting the ball in the danger area it paid off in spades.

Well done Joe and all the lads for your commitment right to the end. Such an important 3 points.
Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Dazza »

I do think that running up to and in injury time we became the more aggressive of the two sides. Where did the long throw came from? A central defender played the ball into touch from his penalty area. They had settled for the point - we where still going for it.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

happytorq wrote: 06 Apr 2021, 15:49 Would like to see us start with Wright and Boden, but suspect we'll either revert to one up front (and bring another midfield in, possibly Buse) or go with Waters, who was...well..'frsutrating' yesterday.
No disrespect to Weymouth but I think that a defensive/midfield game with only one up front would be a error. Danny Wright has just come back from a hamstring injury and working him like a Trojan as a lone striker is asking way too much and liable to pick up a recurrence of the injury.

It's a good question though. Who should start with Wright on Sat - Boden, Waters, Umerah or Koszela?

I would go for Wright and Waters with Boden as back up for Wright after 60 minutes.
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by happytorq »

MellowYellow wrote: 06 Apr 2021, 18:49 No disrespect to Weymouth but I think that a defensive/midfield game with only one up front would be a error.
I don't necessarily think it would be a defensive move. We were scoring a shedload early in the season with only one nominal striker, and from memory I don't recall a time where we've scored too many with 2 up top. Admittedly, Nemane and Whitfield were in that 4-5-1 set up and were scoring, and obviously they're out right now.

Wright as an upfront pivot could still work as long as we're able to get players coming from midfield; Hall, Little, Randall, possibly Andrews (although he may be better off staying wide and delivering GOOD CROSSES)
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

That would mean we would likely end up with Boden and Waters on the pitch - which to me looks like our WORST striking combination.

Neither player can head the ball for starters. Neither has any pace so can't run past defenders. Waters is basically a six yard box player - if you look at yesterday the first thing he did right was bring the ball down from the long throw ie when he was in the six yard box.

Asking him to go deep and link the play up is a waste of time - its not his game. As for Bodens game - well I'm not really sure what his game is to be honest.

If we start tip tapping the ball around against Weymouth we will end up looking like we did against Woking. Its a tricky one as Wright hasn't got 90 minutes in him.

Play Andrews and Randell out wide and possibly Wright with Umerah/Waters up front. Or possibly bring Wright on for the last 30 mins when they start to tire. Change our tactics and utilize Lewis's long throws - get the ball in the box at every opportunity, for the likes of Wright, Hall and Umerah.

It doesn't have to be pretty it just needs to be effective - Trying to pass teams off the park isn't working at home because the players who can commit defenders are mostly injured.
Louis
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Louis »

Highlights

⚽️ Prediction League 23/24 - TUFC merch prizes for grabs
⚽️ Press Room - all latest TUFC News
⚽️ @Torquay_Fans - follow us on X for all the latest

Brewers boy
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Jamie Reid

Post by Brewers boy »

Only one thing better than a 93rd minute winner....................a 94th :)
cockneycockers
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by cockneycockers »

Covolan
Lewis. Sherring. Law
Wynter Randell. Hall. Little. Andrews
Kozela. Wright

You can thank me all on Saturday.