Buckle

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Alpine Joe wrote: If he was going to stay he obviously would have made that fact known. I'd be surprised if the players weren't pretty sure in their mind that he was leaving.
You'll recall that Sir Alex made the mistake of announcing his retirement some time in advance & United's performances dropped off substantially. The players no longer have to work to impress you if you're leaving.It's how they perform for the new bloke that will be important.

Has Buckle ever turned down the chance to go ? I've not followed the various sagas as closely as some have over the years. There have been various glitches over compensation etc, but have we ever reached a stage where another Club has offered Buckle a job & he's said no ?

I doubt very much that PB will be breaking any news to the Chairman via telephone this morning. I'm sure the Directors know exactly what's going on & have been working on who to appoint as PB's successor for a few week's now.

It's my personal opinion that players don't improve greatly as a result of being coached by Buckle. It's my guess that the most recent accounts will again show that the Club is living beyond it's means & that the money needed to fund the wages for better players just won't be there..particularly with new grandstand associated costs, lower capacity next season etc. The days of 100k salaries for non playing staff or the small fortune we could throw the way of Mo Camara are over.

It's not an environment in which Buckle could thrive...he's spent the money , the kitty is empty & it's time for him to move on.

He worked extremely hard during his time here, the fact that he was Manager at the time we got back out of non league will always be in his favour.
I think there are definitely some reasons for wishing him well in his new job....but it doesn't stop me feeling sorry for the poor blighter who takes his place, who I expect will have to work with substantially fewer resources than those made abundantly available to PB over the years.

Spot on post, from what I know you're right on the money there and I share your evaluation.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Regiment
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Regiment »

I've had my say already on "Buckle's shortfalls come to light again" but just read this on the BBC website (direct quote from the man himself) :-

"I've worked too hard to get to where I am now to make a rash decision. I'm not going to do that. I'm going to think about it. If it's right to go, I'll go and if it's not, I'll stay."

says it all for me. i'll always be grateful for everything bucks has done for the club, i honestly mean that, i genuinely believe he wanted the best for the club, but clearly the priority for him was HIM.
Brady

I Wish I Was There
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Super Jason Fowler

Post by Fonda »

It's been pretty obvious since before the Play-Offs that he's off. His head has been turned and his mind made up. Now i understand Rovers have made things difficult for him by making their move at an awkward time - but really think Bucks should have done more to keep things further under wraps. He clearly has great ambition, and belief in his own abilities. And those are good attributes for a manager to have. But his ego is the reason that regardless of what he's achieved for our club, he was never destined to be popular in the same way a Cyril or a Leroy were. I feel the way he's allowed this speculation to continue - has overshadowed, and ultimately spoiled what should have been an exciting season end. It's all about Bucks at the end of the day. It was always going to be so. He's a single-minded individual, and will seemingly do whatever suits him personally - without worrying about who he upsets or which toes he steps on. I have no doubt the speculation about the managers future affected our performance yesterday - how could it not? If the manager changes, the players own futures are suddenly less secure. As i've said on numerous occasions through this season, Bucks has developed into a far better manager than i ever thought he would. There are still obvious flaws, but the fact he's dedicated to playing attacking, passing football makes for exciting matches and that's what we all want. But i personally will not miss his personality. There are only so many times i want to hear the manager of our football club advertising the fact he wants to move on to bigger and better things. It will be nice to find a manager that actually see's the Plainmoor job as being one he'd actually appreciate, rather than endure.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

If that's what he's said since the game yesterday then he's full of shit.
Dave

Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Fonda wrote: But i personally will not miss his personality.

It's been missing for years :rofl:
Dave

Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

I've just had it confirmed to me that he's accepted Rovers.

I've no idea when it will be on the OS but it's definitely time now to look ahead and not back.
Dave

Regiment
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Regiment »

Fonda wrote:It's been pretty obvious since before the Play-Offs that he's off. His head has been turned and his mind made up. Now i understand Rovers have made things difficult for him by making their move at an awkward time - but really think Bucks should have done more to keep things further under wraps. He clearly has great ambition, and belief in his own abilities. And those are good attributes for a manager to have. But his ego is the reason that regardless of what he's achieved for our club, he was never destined to be popular in the same way a Cyril or a Leroy were. I feel the way he's allowed this speculation to continue - has overshadowed, and ultimately spoiled what should have been an exciting season end. It's all about Bucks at the end of the day. It was always going to be so. He's a single-minded individual, and will seemingly do whatever suits him personally - without worrying about who he upsets or which toes he steps on. I have no doubt the speculation about the managers future affected our performance yesterday - how could it not? If the manager changes, the players own futures are suddenly less secure. As i've said on numerous occasions through this season, Bucks has developed into a far better manager than i ever thought he would. There are still obvious flaws, but the fact he's dedicated to playing attacking, passing football makes for exciting matches and that's what we all want. But i personally will not miss his personality. There are only so many times i want to hear the manager of our football club advertising the fact he wants to move on to bigger and better things. It will be nice to find a manager that actually see's the Plainmoor job as being one he'd actually appreciate, rather than endure.
totally agree with what you've said, and this little snippet sums it up perfectly.
Brady

I Wish I Was There
tommyg
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by tommyg »

Fonda wrote:It's been pretty obvious since before the Play-Offs that he's off. His head has been turned and his mind made up. Now i understand Rovers have made things difficult for him by making their move at an awkward time - but really think Bucks should have done more to keep things further under wraps. He clearly has great ambition, and belief in his own abilities. And those are good attributes for a manager to have. But his ego is the reason that regardless of what he's achieved for our club, he was never destined to be popular in the same way a Cyril or a Leroy were. I feel the way he's allowed this speculation to continue - has overshadowed, and ultimately spoiled what should have been an exciting season end. It's all about Bucks at the end of the day. It was always going to be so. He's a single-minded individual, and will seemingly do whatever suits him personally - without worrying about who he upsets or which toes he steps on. I have no doubt the speculation about the managers future affected our performance yesterday - how could it not? If the manager changes, the players own futures are suddenly less secure. As i've said on numerous occasions through this season, Bucks has developed into a far better manager than i ever thought he would. There are still obvious flaws, but the fact he's dedicated to playing attacking, passing football makes for exciting matches and that's what we all want. But i personally will not miss his personality. There are only so many times i want to hear the manager of our football club advertising the fact he wants to move on to bigger and better things. It will be nice to find a manager that actually see's the Plainmoor job as being one he'd actually appreciate, rather than endure.
The speculation all started before our semi-final against Shrewsbury. It didn't seem to affect our performance when we played them off the park for 180 minutes. I don't think we can use this as an excuse for our inept display.
Boom Boom
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Paul Buckle

Post by Boom Boom »

Yep. Buckle DEFINITELY gone.

So many lies in & around the playoffs it's unbelievable. What the hell was his post match interview yesterday all about.

Thanks to the 4 years Mr Buckle, but the events leading to your departure & timing will leave a bitter pill to swallow.
tauntongull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Aaron Downes

Post by tauntongull »

How/Where do we know he has definately gone?

Last I saw was this....

http://www.itv.com/westcountry-west/fullprogramme/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's about 11 mins long, it starts about 2 mins in.

Anyone know any more???
May not be the original, but I am the best 'TauntonGull' .... See I can do signatures too, coz I am a real boy!
basil75
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by basil75 »

Agree that it would be nice if Buckle didn't make it seem like managing us was some kind of endurance test.

We gave him the opportunity to manage - his big break, and I strongly doubt anyone higher up would have given him the chance or the resources we gave him in his first years in the BSP - so a bit more appreciation and humility would be welcomed from his behalf.

True, we may not have got where we are today without him, but he wouldn't have got to where he is without us either.
gullsarmee
Trialist
Trialist
Favourite player: Kevin Nicholson

Post by gullsarmee »

A lot of garbage has been said about whether Buckle stays or leaves.

Firstly he has a 12 month rolling contract with us. If he wishes to resign, then either the TUFC board have to waive the contract, or somebody has to pay it up.

Secondly, if he has agreed and signed a contract with any other club while his current contract is still in force, then he can be sued. Whether he has made a verbal agreement is another matter, but it could still be the subject of court action if desired. It's called an illegal approach.

If Buckle decides he wants to leave, then it's up to him to sort the legal side of it. I can't see that he would want to fork out £50k or so out of his own pocket. Have BRFC or any other club that sort of money? On the other hand, do we we really want to keep a manager or anyone else who does not want to be here.

I suspect boards at both TUFC and BRFC are only too aware of the ramifications.

Sorry if I've spoiled the rants, but that's the way it is!! :rules:
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Whatever the constraints of his contract, Buckle has gone, despite what you would like to "cook" up ;-)
Dave

Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Super Jason Fowler

Post by Fonda »

tommyg wrote: The speculation all started before our semi-final against Shrewsbury. It didn't seem to affect our performance when we played them off the park for 180 minutes. I don't think we can use this as an excuse for our inept display.
Perhaps within the dressing room it was no more than 'speculation' at that point? Perhaps it became more definite in the last week? Either way, the players would have done well to remain focussed with all that going on.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
GullsFan
New Signing
New Signing
Favourite player: Mansell

Post by GullsFan »

I think that he has done well in his times, the ups and downs have come but if you think really, he didn't do too bad with what he was given. Now we just have to build the team up again, I'm sure the backroom staff and a few of the players will go with him. Hopefully Trollope could give us a new lease of life, as a tactical genius is what Buckle really lacked.

However, fair play to the lad, I wish him good luck at wherever he goes, it's clear he's not staying or else he would have made this apparent in the post-pre match interviews.