Date of New Manager Appointment

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
numpte
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Me

Post by numpte »

Not until you explain 'it shouldn't take this long'

Given they couldn't start until last Monday, how long do you think it should take given the reported 50 applications?
TUST #324
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Super Jason Fowler

Post by Fonda »

I'll humour you. The vacancy was advertised last Monday? Those seriously interested would have had their applications in by Friday surely? Is it too much to ask that with the critical nature of the situation the board worked over the weekend to formulate a short-list? How long does it take to say 'he'll be too expensive' or 'never heard of him' or 'what has he ever acheived'? Notify those in the frame today, with the intention of interviews - Tomorrow if possible, if not Wednesday/Thursday. Decision made, offer sent and accepted by Friday. If the eventual result is one completely unexpected, and doesn't come from the obvious list of applicants i'll hold my hands up - not something i've ever had a problem with. If it turns out to be Trollope, Forster or Hargreaves the argument will just be strengthened it was a decision that could have been made much sooner.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
the_shredder
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by the_shredder »

Am i right in thinking the majority of people seriously think the board members are sat on their arses, watching the TV thinking "we'll do it tomorrow"? Let's not forget they stand to lose a lot of money if they get the appointment wrong, if the appointment misses out on compiling a good squad for the next season, if everyone loses faith in them and refuses to come to games............ i'm not sure, but i would like to think, they are not that stupid - they are doing what needs to be done, we are by nature always going to be in the dark with some aspects of any situation. I understand everyones concern, but really, everything happens for a reason. Can we not just accept that we do not know what that reason is?
Mav
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by Mav »

Ok this looks more like it, in todays HE it says there is a board meeting today to narrow the field and Simon baker has said "Our hope is to announce the next manager by next monday afternoon, but it may be earlier if things progress quickly" Although for those who fancy paul trollope it also states he is currently away on holiday. This would tend to indicate that if they have spoken to Trollope it has only been done on the phone
Kit_robin
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Kit_robin »

Fonda wrote:I'll humour you. The vacancy was advertised last Monday? Those seriously interested would have had their applications in by Friday surely? Is it too much to ask that with the critical nature of the situation the board worked over the weekend to formulate a short-list? How long does it take to say 'he'll be too expensive' or 'never heard of him' or 'what has he ever acheived'? Notify those in the frame today, with the intention of interviews - Tomorrow if possible, if not Wednesday/Thursday. Decision made, offer sent and accepted by Friday. If the eventual result is one completely unexpected, and doesn't come from the obvious list of applicants i'll hold my hands up - not something i've ever had a problem with. If it turns out to be Trollope, Forster or Hargreaves the argument will just be strengthened it was a decision that could have been made much sooner.
Pretty sure that what you've said is what's actually happened (and been publicly stated). In the HE they said that they were finalising the shortlist on Monday (yesterday) after going through all received applications, and interviewing this week, which by the looks of it is the same as your timetable.

The only difference may be in the date of the announcement. Personally I would imagine that the board and successful candidate will probably know who has the job by the weekend, but we won't see anything official until all the Ts and Is have been crossed and dotted and everything finalised, which will probably be Monday.

Hopefully the shortlisted managers would, by the end of yesterday, know who they are. If I was going for an interview with a club I would have immediately gone out and contacted people about issues like player availability etc., which is usually a topic for discussion at interview these days (see buckle's "extensive database of players"....eurgh). This should mean that as soon as the new man gets a tentative nod he can start trying to make his tentative enquiries come to fruition.

I think it's slightly naive for any of us to think that we'll have a new man on Monday who hasn't even thought about what was first on the agenda.

Although I agree we should cast a critical eye over the timetable and the boards actions, and even feel slightly anxious, I also don't think its time quite yet for heading to the panic stations like some members have been. Let's see who we employ before we do that!
MidDevon
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by MidDevon »

I, unlike most it seems, hope that the board do not make the decision within the week.
50 serious applicants, one can assume means, 50 people with either football management or playing experience. That is a lot of work.

There will , no doubt, be some real shocks to the board within that list, people they never thought would consider Torquay United who have perhaps managed at a higher level. Who would have thought that the likes of Paul Ince would start so low in his management career? There will also be lots of enthusiastic players keen for their first chance on the management ladder. There will definately be the opportunity for the club to employ a really high profile manager, which commercially could be a great move....but then look at Peter Taylor!

What I am pretty sure about is that there are unlikey to be many managers willing to move across from other league 2 clubs.

That gives the Directors quite a challenge.

Taking a manager who perhaps failed at their last club could be seen as a risk.
Taking a manager new to the whole league management way of life will also be seen as a risk.

It would not surprise me to see us recruit another up and coming young manager. I personally favoured Mark Cooper or Lee Hodges or someone like Liam Daish at Ebbsfleet.

In terms of finance we are probably in line with most poroffessional conference clubs and it is pretty obvious to see the 3 or 4 who are doing a good job in that league.

For me it was interesting to see Ebbsfleet extend and improve Liam Daish's contract soon after the Torquay job became vacant and I think there could be 3 or 4 conference teams looking nervously at their manager's this week.
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Fonda »

In fairness, i've not suggested at any stage the board are 'doing nothing'. I'm very sure that's not the case. My concern was that there doesn't appear to be the urgency required. Parhaps it's just poorly thought out comments, but we need to act 'fairly quickly' doesn't inspire confidence. Maybe 'we know we need to act quickly, but not at the risk of making the wrong decision' would have worked better. Or perhaps the stress of the situation has got to me and i shouldn't listen to what they're say, just wait to see what they do...
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
Behind-the-Gulls
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Behind-the-Gulls »

The Paul Trollope situation could be quite problematic as he is currently on holiday in Mexico and not back until Sunday.
I guess if he's really keen on getting the job he will cut his holiday short but interviewing on the phone(or maybe by Skype) is no substitute for a face to face interview.I'm really keen that Trollope gets the job-in my view he's the right person for thre situation we now find ourselves in and will take the club forward,not backwards.
Just hope he hasn't had too many tequila's and does himself justice at the interview(whereever/however its conducted)!
HRG
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by HRG »

This is probably a stupid thing to say, but considering Trollope has been on gardening leave for a while now he has has plenty of time to go off on his jollies, and if he is sunning himself somewhere instead of sitting down with the board then he cannot want the job that much.
Forster is still the one for me.
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Fonda »

Forster for me too. He's the one documented candidate i can't find a reason against.
Regiment
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Regiment »

is it possible that as the board knew weeks (if not months) ago, they have already "interviewed" potential candidates, especially out of work ones like Trollope ?? it's not inconceivable that a deal is already done, and trollope will start next week when he gets back from his holiday. i doubt it, but who knows ??
Brady

I Wish I Was There
AndyC
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Mark Ellis

Post by AndyC »

Sky Bet suspended betting on their market after a steady stream of money for Nicky Forster - he was odds-on 1/8 favourite by the time of suspension.
HRG
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by HRG »

AndyC wrote:Sky Bet suspended betting on their market after a steady stream of money for Nicky Forster - he was odds-on 1/8 favourite by the time of suspension.
A good sign? I certainly hope so!
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

I see Fulham have a new manager this morning. By my reckoning it took them 5 days to replace Hughes, so why is it deemed acceptable for us to take over 3 weeks?
Chris B
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane

Post by Chris B »

Stanley's move to Bristol Rovers this morning has, for me, taken some of the urgency out the situation. He was the most important of the signings we could make from the list of out of contract players at the club last season.

The idea that the new boss (hopefully Nicky Forster) would be able to make his own mind up on Branston, Stanley etc. is becoming increasingly irrelevant, but I'd like to think all of the serious contenders have compiled a list of prospective signings. As Buckle has shown both for us in 2007 and in the last few days for BRFC, a flurry of signings can be made in the space of a few days.

The greatest implications of a later appointment will be on season ticket sales, which will be hit by the frustrations some have shown on this forum. The next ten days, I'm sure, will bring reason for renewed optimism at Plainmoor.