Stevens off....NOT CONFIRMED

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
mlw
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Kevin Nicholson

Post by mlw »

Couldn't agree more Warwickgull. Why is it that some people still want to be so anti. We need to move on and accept the situation as it is.
I would imagine there is hell of a lot going on behind the scenes at the moment. If we havn't seen an assistant and some players by this time next week there would be cause for concern but until then lets try and stay calm and await events. Mind you we could sign Messi and someone on here would be moaning that he was rubbish!!!
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

Gulliball wrote:Also quite important to consider that he's 24 now. At 20 there was a lot of room for growth (no jokes please), but at his age it's very unlikely that he's going to suddenly raise qualities of his game. Personally, I don't think he'll ever be a regular starter here and wouldn't be sorry to see him move on.

About time he grew up then (ignored the no jokes please).

My criticism of Stevens is based on his contribution to game play in League One - there isn't any.
Ok,so he got lucky with that strike at goal in the League match against Stevenage at Plainmoor. What pissed me off was when he ran over to the "Unforgiving Side" (Popside) with a screwed up face giving it large.

Right then Stevens, what happened at Old Trafford in the last minute when you had a clear strike at goal ? I'll tell you what happened. You got f'kin "clever", checked back on to your right foot and the 6ft+ monster of a defender shut you out.

League One is a big man's game and you hobbit do not have the stature, know how or nuts to compete in it.

Rant (oops, constructive critcism) over.
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
Warwickgull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: HOWE

Post by Warwickgull »

mlw wrote:Couldn't agree more Warwickgull. Why is it that some people still want to be so anti. We need to move on and accept the situation as it is.
I would imagine there is hell of a lot going on behind the scenes at the moment. If we havn't seen an assistant and some players by this time next week there would be cause for concern but until then lets try and stay calm and await events. Mind you we could sign Messi and someone on here would be moaning that he was rubbish!!!
lol, yes far too short for league 2, would never cut the mustard!
Everybody has a photographic memory, some people just dont have film.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Every single home match there are 2500 Torquay united managers watching the game,we can all have are opinions on what players are up to to standard first team,and those which are not good enough,also what is the right and wrong way to set the team up.

At the end of the day the results and performances are down to one person ,Maritn Ling's neck is one the chopping block not ours,think we all have got the picture now,buckle could have signed up Bevan and Branno,and had some of the loanee's on pre contract agreements,instead he chose to try and take the entire squad with him,which we all know has left ML with mountains to climb.

I think ML wishing to keep Stevens is a sound footballing decision,ML is already going have to gel a new squad,why make that job harder by moving on a player who has been with us 4 seasons now,he may have a recent bench warmer,in terms of Torquay he is a senior pro,you never he might ,like Ellis and macklin flourish under a new manager,they all might not,who know's.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

2499 actually, Dave. You're my Assistant :)
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Trojan 67 wrote:
About time he grew up then (ignored the no jokes please).

My criticism of Stevens is based on his contribution to game play in League One - there isn't any.
Ok,so he got lucky with that strike at goal in the League match against Stevenage at Plainmoor. What pissed me off was when he ran over to the "Unforgiving Side" (Popside) with a screwed up face giving it large.

Right then Stevens, what happened at Old Trafford in the last minute when you had a clear strike at goal ? I'll tell you what happened. You got f'kin "clever", checked back on to your right foot and the 6ft+ monster of a defender shut you out.

League One is a big man's game and you hobbit do not have the stature, know how or nuts to compete in it.

Rant (oops, constructive critcism) over.
Gotta say I disagree. He was only showing the doubters what he could do, celebrating that goal against Stevenage the way he did. Also, to be fair, we were outdone at Old Trafford, and the example you use there is a lose-lose situation for DS; if he hits it with his weaker left foot and it's a crap effort, the fans moan. If he tries to weave an opening on his better foot but can't as Stevenages' defence & teamwork was ten times better than ours on the day, then the fans moan.

Stevens is a good squad player, for now, in my eyes. He provides something different, how many other players can you say have electric pace right now? Not many. Sure, pace isn't going to guarantee him a starting spot every game, but I feel he can still add to the squad we have, especially in this "transition period".

For me, next season, I'd rather he be here than not.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Pace, pace, pace thats all i keep hearing. We all KNOW he has pace, he just doesn't know what to do with a togger at his feet. I long to see him burn off three players then dink inside and unleash an unstoppable drive bent into the bottom corner and him wheel away in celebration ( NOT BECAUSE HE DID IT BY ACCIDENT AND HAD NO IDEA WHAT TO DO) but because he is used to doing it. That ain't gonna happen. He does not have the foresight, talent or ability to do this on a regular basis ( more than once a season Danny). He has had 4 seasons to show us this but it hasn't materialised. Fair enough, Ling should be looking at the players at the club he doesn't know and he might well be able to improve Danny should he offer him a contract but on the face of it i cannot see it and it would be a huge mistake keeping the lad on.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
leetufc
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Pop side

Post by leetufc »

andygullagain wrote:Pace, pace, pace thats all i keep hearing. We all KNOW he has pace, he just doesn't know what to do with a togger at his feet. I long to see him burn off three players then dink inside and unleash an unstoppable drive bent into the bottom corner and him wheel away in celebration ( NOT BECAUSE HE DID IT BY ACCIDENT AND HAD NO IDEA WHAT TO DO) but because he is used to doing it. That ain't gonna happen. He does not have the foresight, talent or ability to do this on a regular basis ( more than once a season Danny). He has had 4 seasons to show us this but it hasn't materialised. Fair enough, Ling should be looking at the players at the club he doesn't know and he might well be able to improve Danny should he offer him a contract but on the face of it i cannot see it and it would be a huge mistake keeping the lad on.
I think that's a bit of an overstatement. I doubt stevens is on a huge wage at Torquay, and i doubt we'll be offering him much of an improvement, if any at all, on what he currently earns. For my mind keeping him on the books makes logical sense. We've had a lot of upheavel already, so trying to keep a bit of continuity is sensible. I imagine that's what ML is trying to do. He's already got a massive rebuilding job without having yet another player to replace. Stevens may not be the best player in the league, but he's definitely not the worst. He's a decent squad player, and we need a couple of those, and can do something, even if it is rarely, from the bench. It may also be that ML offers him a deal til Christmas so as to keep hold of him, and give him chance to judge his ability himself, without being stuck with him all season if he's not his cup of tea.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

It matters not , the truth is that Stevens is not good enough to be a league footballer, just like James Blunt isn't good enough to be a singer. They both hang in there and keep on trying but eventually the door will close for good and theres nothing they can do about it. A bit like Cameron as PM. He will eventually fall short after stripping everyone of their dignity and inevitably he will foresake the leadership of the country to someone who is prepared to fail in order to progress. Stevens signing a new contract is regression NOT progresssion.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
Yellow4life
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Yellow4life »

...I don't even think he has a lot of pace? I think he's had his time here and should go elsewhere-at the end of the Season, I looked at the players out of contract and he was really the only one I would let go (maybe except potter)

You sure we aren't talking about Robinson here! :whistle:
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

I think it would be best for Danny Stevens to move on. he was really only ever good for us when he first came to Torquay. Each season I think he has got worse. He cannot help his size but he is far too small for League football without having the talent to compensate. Too often he loses possession.

The squad is very threadbare at the moment but there is no point filling it up with dross, simply to get the numbers in.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Stevens has pace - have you seen him play? - he isn't good enough,and he has regressed. As hector said we need players who can be regulars in the team. We desperately need an injection of quality.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Danny Stevens, is he still at Torquay, I thought he got released ages ago?

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

Today's Janner Indy seems to be suggesting that Ling really wants to keep Stevens. He is going to meet him in London tomorrow or in Torquay on Tuesday to try and persuade him.

Why?

Seems a lot of effort to go to gor a player who is not good enough. Let him go to Barnet or wherever.

Ling also wants to sign Oastler, although he admits he has never met him. And when appointed Ling said he had only seen Torquay in the play-off final, so he cannot have seen anything of Oastler to impress him. I am wondering what basis Ling wants to sign Oastler on. I would happy for Oastler to sign but worry a little about the manager signing players he seems to know nothing about and can only fathom a guess that maybe it has been suggested he signs them.

Let's just hope we something happening this week.
tommyg
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by tommyg »

Electric pace? Stevens?! He has little legs and decent close control which makes him appear quicker than he actually is. If all the players lined up for a 100m sprint, he wouldn't feature on the podium.

Gold: Macklin
Silver: Zebroski
Bronze: LRT

Kee would probably be about as successful as this lady in Lane 5: " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;