Leeds United pre season game at Plainmoor

General chat about anything else goes here.
EmetEdadsBeard
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Andy Gurney

Post by EmetEdadsBeard »

Gazzableedsgull wrote:they'll just sing "If you hate Leeds United have a go" .. so best not provoke them, am coming down with a few of ma Leeds mates so hope we all get on :lol:
Exactly the type of reply expected from a fan of The Filth. The 70s are long gone but fans of Dirty leeds still live in them, remember? When hooliganism was killing the game and Dirty Leeds thought they were the biggest club in the league despite winning next to nowt?
Most of the Dirty Leeds fans I've met support them because its easier to spell than every other club in the country. Except Hull! :-/ :-/ :-/
'Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level then beat you with their experience!
Gazzableedsgull
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Tony Bedeau

Post by Gazzableedsgull »

EmetEdadsBeard wrote: Exactly the type of reply expected from a fan of The Filth. The 70s are long gone but fans of Dirty leeds still live in them, remember? When hooliganism was killing the game and Dirty Leeds thought they were the biggest club in the league despite winning next to nowt?
Most of the Dirty Leeds fans I've met support them because its easier to spell than every other club in the country. Except Hull! :-/ :-/ :-/
not sure how to take that :S Should i be offended? .. a couple of points i'd like to add .. i agree the 70's are long gone however a club should be proud of whatever history they have (regardless if people think they won things unfairly) wouldnt we all be banging on about a cup win years and years later .. yes we would. Where have most of the Leeds fans you've met come from? Leeds itself? because the majority of Leeds fans that i know in the City are well behaved and good natured. I'm more proud to be associated with Leeds than i would be with Man Utd, Liverpool or Chelsea. i take it you have an affiliation with another team then seeing as you refer to a team nothing to do with Torquay as "The Filth"? i only like (i dont support) Leeds because of my family's heritage and the fact ive grown up and worked here. really effing annoys when people bang on about this dirty Leeds thing .. like you said the 70's are long gone, maybe you should stop living in the past before telling others to?

sorry if this comes across a bit :@
Dreaming Of Promotion ..
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Wednesday fans have always hated Dirty Leeds ;-)
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Aussie
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by Aussie »

Someone else mentions Leeds history and no over reaction and no editting, funny that!
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Stop being a total plank, Aussie.

Nobody else tried to turn 2 deaths into a joke.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
NewtonGull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by NewtonGull »

Aussie your an internet warrior arnt you? I'm guessing your actually a little spotty faced teenager who craves attention.

If your going to joke about Istanbul then please save it untill the leeds game when there is 1100 Leeds fans to answer to. Then let's see how funny you are.
dazgull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Jean-Pierre Simb

Post by dazgull »

EmetEdadsBeard wrote: I like you more every day Matt. They are, and always will be 'Dirty' Leeds, the only club in the league universally hated so much they have a song sung about them all over the land. Theres been lots of edits on here, not seen them but maybe it backs up the theory.
All together now......

We all hate Leeds and Leeds and Leeds, Leeds and Leeds and Leeds and Leeds, Leeds and Leeds, Leeds, we all f**kin' hate Leeds! :nod: :slap:

Take it you will be down for pre season now mate? :Oops:
selkie
New Signing
New Signing
Favourite player: Tony Currie

Post by selkie »

I fancy going to this game, I have never seen Leeds play at Plainmoor which is hardly surprising as it was in 1955 when we made our one and only visit.

I have done a little research and I am not able to find even a friendly game taking place in Torquay between our two sides.

The game we did play at Plainmoor was a third round FA Cup game on the 12th January 1955 when we were turned over 4-0 after a 2-2 draw at Elland Road. Torquay could even have prevented that visit to Plainmoor by us as they were 2-0 up at Elland Road but we managed to pull it back to 2-2 with the legendary John Charles getting a 70th minute equaliser. In the replay things could not have got off to a worse start for us when right back Dunn miscued a clearance allowing Sam Collins to score a first minute goal. It was almost an hour though before Torquay increased their lead. Again Dunn was involved as a Harold Dobbie shot deflected off him into the net. The third goal was a shot from Ron Shaw across the face of the goal which bounced in off the far post and the rout was completed on 88 minutes when ex Leeds player Don Mills tapped in the fourth.

The crowd that day was 11,429 with gate receipts of £1,329 that is an average price per ticket of just less than half a crown, that is 2s 6d or 12.5 pence in today’s money. A programme at Leeds nowadays costs 32 times that.

Don Mills was one of I think only 7 players who have played for both clubs. Torquay had sold him to QPR on the 1st January 1950 for £12,500 which was a massive amount in those days he had made 34 appearances for Torquay. QPR then sold him to Cardiff a year later for £12,000 before Leeds picked him up for nothing 7 months later. He played 37 games for us before Torquay got him back on the 1st December 1952 also for free and he went on to play another 308 games for Torquay.

The other players to play for us both are Wallace Clark in the 1920’s, Bobby Webb in the 1950’s, Tony Currie in the 70’s for Leeds and 80’s for Torquay and more recently in the 1990’s Lee Sharpe, Paul Pettinger and Mark Ford.

Back to the present last season Leeds had the largest travelling support in the Championship with an average of 3106. Leeds will travel in force to Plainmoor they will drink, they will be friendly, they will have a good time and fill the local coffers. With the game being on a Friday that will boost the attendance as those that will travel from Leeds will only need one day of work. Plenty of others will be making a week of it and there will be the local Leeds fans also to bolster our numbers. I would be surprised if we could not shift 1300 tickets with the added ingredient of it being a new ground for most.We sold 3000 for a friendly in Falkirk and 3500 for a game in Norway last year.

I wish you good luck in the play-offs and will see you in July.

Finally NewtonGull you are a gent, with a clear and correct perception of what is right and wrong acceptable and unacceptable.
Last edited by selkie on 16 May 2012, 20:00, edited 1 time in total.
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Wow, good introduction! I'll miss this game as I'll be away but I'm pretty gutted as we don't often see a sell out during pre-season..
selkie
New Signing
New Signing
Favourite player: Tony Currie

Post by selkie »

Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Wayyyyyyyyyyyy ahead of my time! ;-)
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Gulliball »

2pm kick-off on a Wednesday, how times change.
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by stefano »

Gulliball wrote:2pm kick-off on a Wednesday, how times change.
It would have been bloody dark by 7.45pm in January ;-)
lancasterwhites
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: mark ellis

Post by lancasterwhites »

afternoon TUFC fans.
leeds fans from all over the country will be paying you a visit, and plenty from the north west and cumbria area.
looking forward to our week in the west country and looking forward to fill your ground for you.
by the way we chant "we are dirty leeds"
lancasterwhites
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: mark ellis

Post by lancasterwhites »

selkie wrote:I fancy going to this game, I have never seen Leeds play at Plainmoor which is hardly surprising as it was in 1955 when we made our one and only visit.

I have done a little research and I am not able to find even a friendly game taking place in Torquay between our two sides.

The game we did play at Plainmoor was a third round FA Cup game on the 12th January 1955 when we were turned over 4-0 after a 2-2 draw at Elland Road. Torquay could even have prevented that visit to Plainmoor by us as they were 2-0 up at Elland Road but we managed to pull it back to 2-2 with the legendary John Charles getting a 70th minute equaliser. In the replay things could not have got off to a worse start for us when right back Dunn miscued a clearance allowing Sam Collins to score a first minute goal. It was almost an hour though before Torquay increased their lead. Again Dunn was involved as a Harold Dobbie shot deflected off him into the net. The third goal was a shot from Ron Shaw across the face of the goal which bounced in off the far post and the rout was completed on 88 minutes when ex Leeds player Don Mills tapped in the fourth.

The crowd that day was 11,429 with gate receipts of £1,329 that is an average price per ticket of just less than half a crown, that is 2s 6d or 12.5 pence in today’s money. A programme at Leeds nowadays costs 32 times that.

Don Mills was one of I think only 7 players who have played for both clubs. Torquay had sold him to QPR on the 1st January 1950 for £12,500 which was a massive amount in those days he had made 34 appearances for Torquay. QPR then sold him to Cardiff a year later for £12,000 before Leeds picked him up for nothing 7 months later. He played 37 games for us before Torquay got him back on the 1st December 1952 also for free and he went on to play another 308 games for Torquay.

The other players to play for us both are Wallace Clark in the 1920’s, Bobby Webb in the 1950’s, Tony Currie in the 70’s for Leeds and 80’s for Torquay and more recently in the 1990’s Lee Sharpe, Paul Pettinger and Mark Ford.

Back to the present last season Leeds had the largest travelling support in the Championship with an average of 3106. Leeds will travel in force to Plainmoor they will drink, they will be friendly, they will have a good time and fill the local coffers. With the game being on a Friday that will boost the attendance as those that will travel from Leeds will only need one day of work. Plenty of others will be making a week of it and there will be the local Leeds fans also to bolster our numbers. I would be surprised if we could not shift 1300 tickets with the added ingredient of it being a new ground for most.We sold 3000 for a friendly in Falkirk and 3500 for a game in Norway last year.

I wish you good luck in the play-offs and will see you in July.

Finally NewtonGull you are a gent, with a clear and correct perception of what is right and wrong acceptable and unacceptable.
i feel i have to correct you.
i went to flakirk which was an evening game and around 800 leeds attended.
on the saturday we travelled to motherwell were around 2,000 leeds attended.
ill go along with the 3,500 in norway.
i expect around 2,000 leeds in torquay.
regards.