Welcome back Pickler?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Brez60gull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Brez60gull »

ML get him back, he was outstanding for us and he is only older by 12 months. Their won't be many Strikers looking forward to playing against him if he even reaches 75% of his playing ability that he showed last time. He is a no nonsense Centre half who will give his all for the club, his team mates and for us the supporters who worshiped him before he left. And at least he was the only one from last season who actually wrote on the OS to say why he was going because he was moving for a lot more money to a far bigger team.

We all know Branno can do a job for us in what ever capacity.
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

Not sure about this but if Ling thinks he is good enough then I will put my faith in that decision. I still, however, think this is unlikely.
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
CP Gull

Post by CP Gull »

As Royal says, he is only 33 and he never had any pace to lose in the first place!

Yes, he got off to a bad start at Bradford, had a poor loan spell at Rotherham due to getting himself sent off against Bristol Rovers and was largely frozen out by Phil Parkinson but when he was called upon at the end of last season when their Manager had no choice but to recall him due to suspensions after the Crawley scrap, he stepped in and by all accounts played very well for them at a crucial stage of the season.

He still managed to start over 20 games last season and we shouldn't forget that he was made captain by Peter Jackson and was hailed by him as a major signing when he joined. Personally I think making him captain was a mistake as he has said himself in the past that a lot of his disciplinary problems before he joined us were as a result of him feeling the need to "get involved " being skipper, when he probably shouldn't have. He wouldn't have that problem here.
Regiment
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Regiment »

Branno's twitter post earlier today....
Attachments
Screen Shot 2012-06-25 at 12.08.17.png
Brady

I Wish I Was There
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Richinns wrote:Not sure about this but if Ling thinks he is good enough then I will put my faith in that decision. I still, however, think this is unlikely.
Pretty much how I'm feeling, Rich. We could do worse, I'm sure.
SteveDeckchair
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Sir Alex Russell
Watches from: Pop side

Post by SteveDeckchair »

I'd have Branstonbaur back in an instant as he would complement Saah very well I think, much as Ellis did. One ball winner and one ball player.

I read his twitter postings and I felt he was down to see the inlaws and then to go down to Cornwall for a holiday. I certainly didn't get the impression that he was down here with a view to signing.

I would be very surprised if this happened, although I would be happy with his signing, either as a starting or sub centre back.

People above mentioning him moving into coaching with us are completely overlooking the fact that we have Shaun Taylor as assistant manager/coach. If anything along those lines was going to happen, I'd imgine it would only be with the reserves or a youth side.
Mmmmmm, beeeeeeeer.
CP Gull

Post by CP Gull »

Well Branno certainly seems up for it ...

http://www.football365.com/league-two/7 ... ls-return?

"A lovely club that is really dear to his heart" :scarf:
CP Gull

Post by CP Gull »

.... has signed for Aldershot !!!

Well that's a bit of a strange one, it sounded for all the world as though he was heading back to us ... but no, it seems, we will be facing him in a Shots shirt next season.

Shame really, I was certainly warming to the idea of him coming back for another go.
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

Weird! I wonder if we were ever in for him or if he asked Ling who said no thanks.
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
monkeyboy
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by monkeyboy »

Sigh of relief.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

As said I love Branno to bits, and he will allways get a warm welcome from me at Plainmoor, however to be honest feeling slightly relieved he is not coming back to us, we had the best out of Guy Branston and it's often said never go back in football, which turns out more times than not, to be true.

As a club I really feel we would have signed him all the wrong reasons, purely because of what he did here before, if we want a progressive club that is looking to move forward, then Branno would not have been the answer for us.

Best of luck with shots Branno.
Last edited by Dave on 25 Jun 2012, 14:04, edited 1 time in total.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

I was just about to post that the quotes on the football 365 page sounded like a real "come and sign me" plea, so am surprised to hear he's signed for the Shots.

In all honesty I wouldn't have minded to see him back, but only as 3rd choice behind Saah and Ellis/AN Other. Still can't help thinking we got the best out of Branno in the Indian Summer of his career.
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

:'( :'( :'( :'( :'(
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Wow, quickly sorted, that!
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Richinns wrote:Weird! I wonder if we were ever in for him or if he asked Ling who said no thanks.
Nail hit firmly on the head there Rich, Branno was in the gulls nest after the Cheltenham game, and made it clear to few he wanted to come back to Torquay, I very much suspect allthough I don't know this for sure, Lingy has said thanks , but no thanks, hence the reason why he has gone to the shots.

Edit... what I should have added to that reply..., or of course if their was an offer from Torquay, it was not along the lines of what Branno wanted, wages, or only offered no 3 centre back maybe.
Formerly known as forevertufc