The sooner we get a coach in the better...

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Behind-the-Gulls
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Behind-the-Gulls »

John Coleman was at the Rochdale match(sat in front of our Directors) may just have been an interested spectator and probably still lives in the area,rather than a likely target for us -but it will be interesting to see who's in the Director's box on Tuesday at Aldershot as anyone in the running for appointment this week is surely going to want to run his eye over the team.
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

ROADRUNNER wrote:i would love to see leroy back, he can motivate people, he wont take any nonsense and he doesnt suffer fools, the guy knows what is needed.its nothing to do with liking somebody as was said, but i think he could get us back up and running again, and he has the contacts.
One of the reasons Leroy struggled in the end was precisely because he couldn't motivate the team and his contacts were limited.
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

Behind-the-Gulls wrote:John Coleman was at the Rochdale match(sat in front of our Directors) may just have been an interested spectator and probably still lives in the area,rather than a likely target for us -but it will be interesting to see who's in the Director's box on Tuesday at Aldershot as anyone in the running for appointment this week is surely going to want to run his eye over the team.
Herald speculates he is Accrington bound and watching us as we play Accrington soon.
CP Gull

Post by CP Gull »

I would love it to be John Coleman, but everything seems to point to his appearance at Rochdale being a pre arranged scouting trip ... there is talk of a return "home" (Accy) and they have games against Rochdale and us coming up in the next few weeks.

As for Leroy, I cannot see him coming in on anything other than a part time basis given his media work and that's not what we need at the moment.

I just hope that the Board doesn't put too much emphasis on bringing someone in that is right for Shaun Taylor. First and foremost, in my opinion, it should be right for Torquay United. Leaving sentimentality aside for one moment, the fact is that our results over the last 11 games would have seen most Managers (and very often their Assistants let's not forget) lose their jobs and I think a fresh approach is required.

It seems to me very much as thought Shaun has tried to do what Martin Ling would have done in each of the games he has been in charge, rather than taking a fresh view, and quite simply it isn't t working! We need someone to be put in charge, not just to "help" out. It therefore needs to be a strong character with plenty of contacts as we desperately need 2 or 3 new faces to freshen things up .... something which should have happened last month but didn't and we are now paying the price for our inactivity.
david gravy

Post by david gravy »

Yes totally agree with that - certain players could do with a rocket up the arse rather than being told that they are better than what they are. Aldershot are one from bottom but I am afraid that we will go into the match with Taylor playing the same formation and will lose again. We desperately need a result tomorrow night - a win with two home games to come would make a massive difference.
ROADRUNNER
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: clint boulton

Post by ROADRUNNER »

KEITH CURLE :nod:
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Do you know something we do not ROADRUNNER !!!

Spot on post Chris CP, as normal. :clap:

I tried to choose my words carefully and show that I am sensitive to Martins Ling's illness ( which I am, as no stranger to personal tragedy) while calling for the club to act, however it was so badly missunderstood by Andy Glostergull it is untrue, so ram it. The club simply has to put it's own long term interests first, yes and support Lingy and his family along the way that is very important for the club and us all to do.

I want this club to be here not just in 1 year's time but 50 years and beyond for the next generation etc, etc, to enjoy the same way I/we have as a football league club. Relegation to the conference would mean gate figures dropping to 1300 or less because there is no novelty this time around, it would mean the loss of the football league golden share, it mean the loss of almost all the youth set up's funding, and no lottery winner to help us out this time, it would leave the board of directors with a real challenge to provide whoever the manager is with a player budget of £400,000.

SO REBUILD FROM WHAT EXCATLY.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

If Roadrunner is right then I don't that is a bad shout - could certainly have been worse.
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

Find it mental we'd sign Benyon then not even play the bloke. Then again while I welcomed the notion of bringing Benyon back to TUFC because on paper he should be a good goalscorer for us it would mean we had to change our entire tactics. I would have sooner signed Logan simply because he's more hustle and bustle, stronger and we play the game that suits the likes of him and Rene and less so Benyon.

to get the most out of Elliot means we have to change formation and to an extent our style of play which is tough to do now as the players are set into this way of doing things - which isn't working. The early signs are that despite another defeat, despite another 0, despite another pathetic shots tally we aren't going to change. Which begs the question why bother signing Elliot in the first place?

We have to get someone in, some of the names banded around are unrealistic if we are led to belive Martin Ling returns next season. You have to look at out of work, experienced managers or football people who aren't expecting anything beyond the rest of this season. The likes of Coleman, Westley et all are all managers who ecxpect to go into another managers job at a club long term. They won't want to come in for 10 games, win all 10 and be told thanks very much cheerio especially if none of them are locally based which to my knowledge none of them are anymore or people that have a really strong affinity with the club, Martin Allen went back to Barnet because he felt he owed them something having left to go to Notts County. I suppose perhaps Curle would fall into this bracket but then would he be such a great choice? I'm not so sure. Can forget Leroy, he's got a cushy job and the board sacked him after 10minutes, I can't see him wanting it nor should he really.

My choice would be Rioch, Brian Little isn't a bad shout, from a pure footballing perspective Colin Lee would have been a decent pick but there isn't a cat in hells chance of that now and rightly so really!

We really can't afford Conference football again, it probably did us a favour last time because we were a shambles and we needed somewhere we could re-invent ourselves whilst still being competitive, The BSP was good but not as strong as it is now and a club like us then were always going to win more than we lost. i couldn't say that with any authority if that happened again. We could easily be a Stockport, cambridge or Lincoln and see our gates half (which would be catastrophic for the club financially) and also be in that league for a hell of a long time. We aren't a Luton, Oxford, Grimsby who have that loyal fanbase of 4000+ who will come back up one year. Eventually someone will get it right at a club like that because they'll always have the biggest budget and they will go up. We are much more of a Lincoln, Macclesfield, Cambridge, Kidderminster who might have a good season here and there but won't be a top dog even in that league. It was why it was so crucial we went up when we did.
Bloggy
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Bloggy »

Perhaps Leeds could sack Warnock and he could finish his managerial career nearer his beloved Cornwall?
usagullmichigan
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by usagullmichigan »

Bloggy wrote:Perhaps Leeds could sack Warnock and he could finish his managerial career nearer his beloved Cornwall?
Not as silly as it may seem when you think about it.
chardie
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Alan Little

Post by chardie »

Would love to see Rioch back.

Royalgull mentioned Brian Little which reminded me of his brother Alan who played for us and was a ferocious tackler, an absolute beast. I loved watching him play and was gutted when we sold him to I think Halifax.
TUST No 278
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

royalgull wrote:Find it mental we'd sign Benyon then not even play the bloke. Then again while I welcomed the notion of bringing Benyon back to TUFC because on paper he should be a good goalscorer for us it would mean we had to change our entire tactics. I would have sooner signed Logan simply because he's more hustle and bustle, stronger and we play the game that suits the likes of him and Rene and less so Benyon.

to get the most out of Elliot means we have to change formation and to an extent our style of play which is tough to do now as the players are set into this way of doing things - which isn't working. The early signs are that despite another defeat, despite another 0, despite another pathetic shots tally we aren't going to change. Which begs the question why bother signing Elliot in the first place?

We have to get someone in, some of the names banded around are unrealistic if we are led to belive Martin Ling returns next season. You have to look at out of work, experienced managers or football people who aren't expecting anything beyond the rest of this season. The likes of Coleman, Westley et all are all managers who ecxpect to go into another managers job at a club long term. They won't want to come in for 10 games, win all 10 and be told thanks very much cheerio especially if none of them are locally based which to my knowledge none of them are anymore or people that have a really strong affinity with the club, Martin Allen went back to Barnet because he felt he owed them something having left to go to Notts County. I suppose perhaps Curle would fall into this bracket but then would he be such a great choice? I'm not so sure. Can forget Leroy, he's got a cushy job and the board sacked him after 10minutes, I can't see him wanting it nor should he really.

My choice would be Rioch, Brian Little isn't a bad shout, from a pure footballing perspective Colin Lee would have been a decent pick but there isn't a cat in hells chance of that now and rightly so really!

We really can't afford Conference football again, it probably did us a favour last time because we were a shambles and we needed somewhere we could re-invent ourselves whilst still being competitive, The BSP was good but not as strong as it is now and a club like us then were always going to win more than we lost. i couldn't say that with any authority if that happened again. We could easily be a Stockport, cambridge or Lincoln and see our gates half (which would be catastrophic for the club financially) and also be in that league for a hell of a long time. We aren't a Luton, Oxford, Grimsby who have that loyal fanbase of 4000+ who will come back up one year. Eventually someone will get it right at a club like that because they'll always have the biggest budget and they will go up. We are much more of a Lincoln, Macclesfield, Cambridge, Kidderminster who might have a good season here and there but won't be a top dog even in that league. It was why it was so crucial we went up when we did.

great post royal.

agree with it all - except maybe about curle. didnt he leave to go to palace as 1st team coach?
to be fair hardly a difficult decision given the circumstances at TUFC at the time.
and he couldnt do any worse than what is occuring at present.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Sponsors of Lirak Hasani, 2024-2025
We now head Due South to all games!

TUST Member 468

ROADRUNNER
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: clint boulton

Post by ROADRUNNER »

rioch would be a great choice and would love to see it but dont think it will happen, KEITH CURLE? :-D
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

ROADRUNNER wrote:rioch would be a great choice and would love to see it but dont think it will happen, KEITH CURLE? :-D
I take it we are talking to Keith then! roadrunner has been in the know before! I would settle for Curle.
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/