Torquay United V Bristol Rovers 27th April 2013

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Dockers Pal
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Chris Hargreaves

Post by Dockers Pal »

This is the game I had hoped we wouldn't need to rely on, but here we are.
Ward's Bristol R have been very effective and deserve respect. We have to think through how best to deploy our strengths and combat theirs. I fear there wingers over our full-backs if we use Oastler and Nico. If we are to persist with these two then the midfield two in front of them have got to be mighty. Otherwise I'd prefer Leadbitter and Cruise.
We've got to have at least one decent passer in our side - which means Morris or Cruise.
I would have Jarvis Yeoman and Benyon in the starting line up particularly for the high tempo that Yeoman and Benyon can achieve, leaving Macklin to come on once the Bristol R defenders are spent.
Will this line up happen? Probably not.
Behind-the-Gulls
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Behind-the-Gulls »

Sean North has left Rovers today.
Their fans website also claiming some Torquay hoteliers are offering to buy Rovers fans tickets in the home end if they book with them and pay up-front!
coley in stripes
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by coley in stripes »

Do you think that Rovers would prefer 2 derby money making matches next season or a trip to Mansfield or even perhaps Kidderminster..See this as an end of season bore draw !!
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

coley wrote:Do you think that Rovers would prefer 2 derby money making matches next season or a trip to Mansfield or even perhaps Kidderminster..See this as an end of season bore draw !!

Fine by me, we stay up! :scarf:
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
coley in stripes
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by coley in stripes »

In fact my post as above is wrong. Shouldn't have mentioned Mansfield as they are coming up whatever. Delete Mansfield and insert Wimbledon, Barnet, D&R and York !!
wodger of awabia
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Carol Vorderman..eh?

Post by wodger of awabia »

Ok then, when two teams have the same number of points & goal difference then goals scored is the number used to separate them, but what happens if this is still the same, what is the next deciding stat?

Daft Stat to Follow...... :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

If Tqy lose by one goal more than Plymouth lose, then Tqy stay up regardless of other teams results, this is because of more goals scored. For Plymouth to equal Tqy then they would have to lose 7-6 if Tqy do not score, of course if Tqy lose 4-2 then Plymouth would have to lose 9-8 for goals scored to be the same, & the teams to be equal.

( Oh do shut up & get on with loading the dishwasher.......pass the red wine por favor ) :clap: :clap:
taxilady
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Micky Cave RIP
Watches from: Pop side

Post by taxilady »

Just been reading the Argyle fans' forum....they appear all to be much more worried than we do; they're bemoaning all the bad luck they've had this season, & crucial recalls of loanees :rofl: ( they had 7 didn't they? And we were all jealous?). We're much more upbeat than they are, most of them seem to think they're doomed! Awww ! :)
We'll Be Back ! TTID

TUST share number 066
RN Gull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Nicho

Post by RN Gull »

At least they won't be complacent then! That is my fear for our players - hope they are made to realize the4 job is NOT done yet!
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

taxilady wrote:Just been reading the Argyle fans' forum....they appear all to be much more worried than we do; they're bemoaning all the bad luck they've had this season, & crucial recalls of loanees :rofl: ( they had 7 didn't they? And we were all jealous?). We're much more upbeat than they are, most of them seem to think they're doomed! Awww ! :)
The majority of Plymouth fans are literally too stupid to insult.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by Glostergull »

Having started this thread I am a little worried about replying but here goes.
Maybe I am reading too much into the latest Post on the OS. But in reading between the lines on Permutations. Do I detect a note of uncertainty and under confidence.
I would have thought that the battle cry would be well and truly trumpeted from the rooftops. Flags would have been hoisted on the Bench roof for all to see right across the bay. The floodlights would have been supplemented by searchlights shining up out of Plainmoor to be seen shining into the night sky right across the Bay. People would have seen them and be asking what was it all about.
I would have expected the OS to have utilised the site to rally the fans to the cause.
We will fight them on the beaches. We will fight them on the Hills. ( please don't take that literaly guys. We really don't want to be fighting Rovers fans on Abbey Sands) But we need to gee up everyone. we need to gee up the players. We need to Get everyone in a positive mood. Everyone from the Smallest supporter right up through the fan base to Club staff, through the playing staff right up to board level finally stopping with the Chairman. We need to stand up and be counted.
Wouldn't it be a statement if the whole board. Club staff, Players and as many fans as possible meet at Plainmoor before Saturday and all of them march off from Plainmoor up to St Marychurch. down To Castle Circus and go on down through Union and Fleet St to the Strand with scarves. Flags and banners waving. Loudhailers shouting out our cause. Inform the local press and radio and TV that we are about to do something big and really make as much noise as we can to attract the locals and let them know we are not dead.
Wouldn't it be great if in doing so we got another 100 new fans through the gates of Plainmoor.
We need to make a big statement right now. We need to do something to really attract the locals that we are not comatose. It would cost nothing. It would make people take notice.
I can't think of anything right now that would cost so little yet make most noise.
What we don't need is messages from the club that they are afraid. W cannot afford afraid. we cannot afford fear. We have be fearless. This is the time for those who show least fear. This is the time for those who show most courage.
This is the time to really make the statement speak. "HE WHO DARES. WINS"
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

I don't think it's under-confidence or anything, Glos, I think it's a simple outlining of the position as it stands. We need four results (five if you count our own) to go against us including one draw and one very bad side winning away at the side with the best home record in the Football League.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

ferrarilover wrote:(I might still have a couple of shillings on Fleetwood in any case, that does seem too good to turn down)
Matt.
Shillings? You're still using shillings? My God, that explains a lot..!! =D Only joking! Obviously you mean pennies or pence.

But seriously Matt, this leads me to hope that you're not one of the many people who don't know the difference between a penny and a pea and a pee. If you are, I should be taking the p***...!! =D

It's strange, isn't it, how people don't realise it's as easy to say 'pence' as it is to say 'p'... :-/

p.s. Who's your bookie...?? :lol:
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

Bristol Rovers will come to Plainmoor and play "exhibition" football without fear. There competitiveness with be motivated by professional pride and the gaining of new playing contracts.

Torquay's motivation is the retention of the Football League status first and the continuation of livelihoods second.

The contribution from the attendance will be crucial. Bristol Rovers fans will be noisy and in end of season celebration mode. We, however, will be anxious and tense and absolutely need to be noisier and right behind our team from first whistle to last.When it's done, Torquay supporters who remain after the final whistle will hopefully be chanting this :

(8) THE GULLS ARE STAYING UP !! (8) . . . . . .

(8) THE GULLS ARE STAYING UP !! (8) . . . . . .

(8) AND NOW YOU'RE GONNA BELIEVE US (8) . . . . . .

:scarf: :scarf: :scarf:
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
PlainmoorRoar
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PlainmoorRoar »

no brain dead morons on the pitch at full time please
TUFC FACEBOOK PAGE - https://www.facebook.com/insideplainmoor
TUFC TWITTER PAGE - https://twitter.com/TUFC1899

Torquay United Supporters Trust member - Join the TUST now!
SteveDeckchair
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Sir Alex Russell
Watches from: Pop side

Post by SteveDeckchair »

PlainmoorRoar wrote:no brain dead morons on the pitch at full time please
He means you Matt! :)
Mmmmmm, beeeeeeeer.