Departures

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
supergulls
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Aaron Downes

Post by supergulls »

DTUFC wrote: Where did you get that from Gulliball? Had a quick look on the web and couldn't find anything about him, Stevens or Easton being on trial (although I'm not doubting you).
A friend plays for Leyton orient and told me about Stevens, Easton told me on twitter he was at Exeter and leadbitters agent said he was at Hereford
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

There's no way Danny is at a L1 club, unless he's making the tea. I was never one of his detractors (in any real sense), but Danny has about as much chance of making it at that level as I have. He was only just good enough for L2. Are you sure your mate has the right Stevens?

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
supergulls
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Aaron Downes

Post by supergulls »

I can guarantee you 100% he is on trial at Leyton orient I spoke to my friend this morning and he said Danny Stevens is there. At the end of the day it's only a trial, orient are not going to loose anything by having a look.
Dutchgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Dutchgull »

There you go then Matt get yourself off to Orient !!!
:lol: :lol: :lol:
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend

Post by ferrarilover »

Actually, I might be on to a winner here. Do you think I could hold Orient to this, some sort of contract where I have to play the and number of minutes over a season as DS?

Matt.
CP Gull

Post by CP Gull »

yellowforever
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Our next signing

Post by yellowforever »

As great as Danny was, he always had a ceiling due to his size and the fact that his technical ability was very one dimensional and pretty average, not to mention his pace which was far from lightening. League 2 is probably that, but that's not to say he couldn't be a cheap squad player/impact sub at a higher level, especially for Orient in London, which is where he's from.
"We are now so far up sh*t creek our boat is actually poking out the end of someones toilet bowl."
Brucie. 27/02/14
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend

Post by ferrarilover »

I guess I'm the only one who thinks it's weird for a player released on merit from an average L2 club to be looking at walking straight into a L1 club...

Matt.
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Super Jason Fowler

Post by Fonda »

yellowforever wrote:As great as Danny was, he always had a ceiling due to his size and the fact that his technical ability was very one dimensional and pretty average, not to mention his pace which was far from lightening. League 2 is probably that, but that's not to say he couldn't be a cheap squad player/impact sub at a higher level, especially for Orient in London, which is where he's from.
Sorry, as WHAT as Danny was? Are we talking about the same Danny Stevens? Short guy, sat on the bench a lot, had maybe half a dozen decent moments in about 4 seasons?
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Got to agree Fonda, the lad has a problem understanding in which areas he should be improving and although his performances improved a bit for us these last few years, he still hasn't addressed the real issues holding him back from being an excellent conference player to a regular effective league 2 player. League 1? He hasn't got a prayer, not even as an 'impact' sub. If he works on his glaringly obvious weaknesses then he becomes a talented footballer, sadly he either hasn't or he has and he has found he just can't cut it, either way he is a conference superstar, a league 2 stop gap and a league 1 comedy show.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend

Post by ferrarilover »

:rofl:

Brilliant, Shane. Sorry Yellow matey, but describing Danny as a great player deserves derision the like of which Fonda has summarily delivered.

Matt.
MH91
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by MH91 »

Even if some people are not Danny Stevens fans..I don't understand the posts above me..Some of them are not short of insulting. Especially when you have in mind it is for a player who spent 7 years at our club and gave us some memorable moments and was vital in our way back to the football league. If you look at lower league football not just in UK but anywhere around the world you would see that is a rarity for a player to stay 7 years in one club, mainly because at a certain point he gets released (usually after and year or two), because he is viewed as useless. Look at League 1 and League 2...They are full of football travellers..No matter how one dimensional..short..or weak..you think he was..he must have had some sort of abilities to earn 4 (if I am not wrong) consecutive contracts. I am sure he would have earned another contract if Lingy had not been sacked.I just don't find it fair towards the guy to receive those sorts of comments from Torquay fans..
Plymgull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by Plymgull »

MH91 wrote:Even if some people are not Danny Stevens fans..I don't understand the posts above me..Some of them are not short of insulting. Especially when you have in mind it is for a player who spent 7 years at our club and gave us some memorable moments and was vital in our way back to the football league. If you look at lower league football not just in UK but anywhere around the world you would see that is a rarity for a player to stay 7 years in one club, mainly because at a certain point he gets released (usually after and year or two), because he is viewed as useless. Look at League 1 and League 2...They are full of football travellers..No matter how one dimensional..short..or weak..you think he was..he must have had some sort of abilities to earn 4 (if I am not wrong) consecutive contracts. I am sure he would have earned another contract if Lingy had not been sacked.I just don't find it fair towards the guy to receive those sorts of comments from Torquay fans..
Well said. Whether i am in a minority or not, i actually liked Stevens. Yes he could be very frustrating to watch at times, but there was something about him i liked.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend

Post by ferrarilover »

I'm not convinced the comments above are far wide of the mark. There's no way Danny is L1 quality, he just isn't. Sure, he was here a while, but so was Kevin Hill, and he wouldn't get a place at Orient either.

I have seen your PM, MH, and I'll get back to you shortly.

Matt.
yellowforever
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Our next signing

Post by yellowforever »

I'm guessing the people deriding Danny's performances forgot how great a servant he has been to the club? He was very good in the conference as well as scoring 10 goals from the wing in Ling's first season.
"We are now so far up sh*t creek our boat is actually poking out the end of someones toilet bowl."
Brucie. 27/02/14