Anyone else hear?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

CP Gull wrote: This article in their local press would seem to suggest that Northampton aren't now looking to appoint anyone new soon. No great surprise, give how well caretaker boss Andy King and his asst Tim Flowers have done of late.

http://www.northamptonchron.co.uk/sport ... -1-5787664

It might also, of course, clear the way for Chris Hargreaves to accept our offer if that is indeed the case!

The Northampton Chairman also confirms on their Official Site that the job has not been offered to anyone...

http://www.ntfc.co.uk/news/article/chai ... 76719.aspx?
Does anyone remember that old BT advert - probably from the 80s, where Maureen Lipman plays a woman in a shop like Dixons and everything she wants to buy, a woman called Mrs Jones has already phoned in to purchase. When she gets to a washing machine or something, she says something like, 'I suppose Mrs Jones, has bought this as well', and she is informed that Mrs Jones hasn't - so she replies 'Well, if it isn't good enough for Mrs Jones, then it isn't good enough for me...'

This is meant a little tongue-in-cheek but I suddenly feel a bit like that about Hargreaves. If Northampton don't want him, well then, do we?
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by stefano »

hector wrote: Does anyone remember that old BT advert - probably from the 80s, where Maureen Lipman plays a woman in a shop like Dixons and everything she wants to buy, a woman called Mrs Jones has already phoned in to purchase. When she gets to a washing machine or something, she says something like, 'I suppose Mrs Jones, has bought this as well', and she is informed that Mrs Jones hasn't - so she replies 'Well, if it isn't good enough for Mrs Jones, then it isn't good enough for me...'

This is meant a little tongue-in-cheek but I suddenly feel a bit like that about Hargreaves. If Northampton don't want him, well then, do we?
No. I am sure he can be a manager. But as far as we are concerned now, wrong club at the wrong time.

I was interested in the above as when I did a tongue in cheek post you said it was 'bizarre'. In fairness though I didn't spell it out. ;-)
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by hector »

stefano wrote: No. I am sure he can be a manager. But as far as we are concerned now, wrong club at the wrong time.

I was interested in the above as when I did a tongue in cheek post you said it was 'bizarre'. In fairness though I didn't spell it out. ;-)
I'm sorry, Stefano, if I got the wrong end of the stick!
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by stefano »

hector wrote: I'm sorry, Stefano, if I got the wrong end of the stick!
No problem Hector and as I said I did not spell it out and interspersed amongst the tongue in cheek bits there were things I was serious about.

The theme of the thread was who will be relegated, and I do believe one of the clubs will be us. I also fear for the long term future of the club if we get relegated. I padded it out with a few tongue in cheek observations knowing that it would get a reaction and I was interested in what the reaction would be. When your club is in the relegation zone of the bottom tier a little bit of mischievous endeavour can help to get through the day! ;-)

Yourself, Gullscorer, ferrarilover, and taxilady all responded in an adult and polite way, whereas one poster reacted as though I had just knocked over his beer after time had been called! As the psychiatrist said in Fawlty Towers, "there's enough material there for an entire conference!".

Over the years I have normally been accused of being over optimistic about the prospects of Torquay United. I have seen a light at the end of the tunnel when there wasn't even a tunnel let alone a light! Now though, in the relegation zone, no manager, played more games than others, a worse goal difference than others, and a new appointment of manager likely (I think) to be wrong club wrong time for that individual, I can see no reason for thinking my glass is half full.

It is one of those situations where I am longing to be proved wrong! :-/
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by hector »

I can understand your concerns, Stefano. When a rookie takes over, you wonder if they know what they are doing. But then I reason this with the fact that every manager started somewhere. Every manager was a rookie and I suppose we could have ended up with an experienced manager like Knill, who had failed in other jobs. If I was thinking of the sort of character that, even though they are a rookie, could go on to be a successful manager, then Hargreaves has all of the right attributes. He is an articulate, intelligent bloke. My only concern is the closeness to certain senior players and with Lee Hodges as well, it is quite the reunion. Bill Phillips on the radio did acknowledge it as an issue, so I guess CH is, at some point, going to have to risk putting friendships on the line, if he is to do his job properly.
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

hector wrote: I guess CH is, at some point, going to have to risk putting friendships on the line, if he is to do his job properly.
Some seek the truth, some know the truth. A friend will tell it as it is.

A true friend will tell you what you need to hear, not what you would like to hear.

Good cop, bad cop. I wonder which one of the HH (Hargreaves/Hodges) combo is which, and which one will tell Nicholson his legs have gone.

:|
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Trojan 67 wrote: Some seek the truth, some know the truth. A friend will tell it as it is.

A true friend will tell you what you need to hear, not what you would like to hear.

Good cop, bad cop. I wonder which one of the HH (Hargreaves/Hodges) combo is which, and which one will tell Nicholson his legs have gone.

:|
i reckon both of them will troj.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Sponsors of Lirak Hasani, 2024-2025
We now head Due South to all games!

TUST Member 468