Goodbye Football League....Hello Conference

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

If Cameron wasn't ready for league football then how did Steve Evans play him eighteen times last season. Evans just would have not played him in a promotion side if he was that bad.
To suggest he is awful is just nonsense. Showed his ability on Saturday.
This is what I don't undestand about Hargreaves - Cameron is by some way a better player than Stevens
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

brucie wrote:If Cameron wasn't ready for league football then how did Steve Evans play him eighteen times last season. Evans just would have not played him in a promotion side if he was that bad.
To suggest he is awful is just nonsense. Showed his ability on Saturday.
This is what I don't undestand about Hargreaves - Cameron is by some way a better player than Stevens
Ah - good point - hadn't realised he'd played that many games for Rotherham. Does make you ask, though - why was he released by Fatty Evans ?
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

He was only on loan at Rotherham last season ^.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

We're all entitled to opinions and come up with our own assessments on the relative merits of each individual player, but it's meaningless at the moment, in fact it doesn't even matter right now what Chris Hargreaves thinks of these players or who he would like to keep here next season.

Until relegation is confirmed and the board tell CH just how much money he has to spend on the team, CH will not know who he can or cannot keep, it's all very well us fans saying this player is under contract and he'll do well in the conference, the player budget may not allow us to keep all the players that are under contract for next season. I'm expecting (opinion only) a number of players to be made available for free transfer.
Formerly known as forevertufc
PL21gull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Lee MansellBaseball

Post by PL21gull »

Mostly agree with otherwise excellent post by Cambgull - disagree about Yeoman (not been given a chance this season) and Cameron (who instantly made defenders foul him when on as sub).

The problems against Fleetwood - who, lets face it either didn't try very hard or are just as ordinary as most of League 2 - were no creative midfielder, which meant we started playing park-style hoofball to 3 centre forwards, who did not play closely enough together to engineer any semblance of a chance on the ground, whereas Fleetwood made 3 one-on-one chances. Even when we got to the goal-line inside the penalty area we ewere still looking to loft/chip the ball into the goal area instead of banging it in on the ground. And we need more variety on dead-ball situations as Nico's left foot is not as trusty as previously, and we should have been taking right footed kicks from appropriate positions in order to bring both posts of the goal into play.

I thought we were meant to be a footballing passing side - the tactics on Saturday would not have even won a Conference match, and that was the most depressing thing. We must try to play more on the deck.
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

Should we be Conference bound pity we didn't keep Angus MacDonald. Should either Downes or Pearce or both leave Angus would have been a useful replacement. He's now a regular for Salisbury whose rooky manager seems to be doing a pretty good job and Angus was man of the match for England C's victory last week in Jordan.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

PL21gull wrote:Mostly agree with otherwise excellent post by Cambgull - disagree about Yeoman (not been given a chance this season) and Cameron (who instantly made defenders foul him when on as sub).

The problems against Fleetwood - who, lets face it either didn't try very hard or are just as ordinary as most of League 2 - were no creative midfielder, which meant we started playing park-style hoofball to 3 centre forwards, who did not play closely enough together to engineer any semblance of a chance on the ground, whereas Fleetwood made 3 one-on-one chances. Even when we got to the goal-line inside the penalty area we ewere still looking to loft/chip the ball into the goal area instead of banging it in on the ground. And we need more variety on dead-ball situations as Nico's left foot is not as trusty as previously, and we should have been taking right footed kicks from appropriate positions in order to bring both posts of the goal into play.

I thought we were meant to be a footballing passing side - the tactics on Saturday would not have even won a Conference match, and that was the most depressing thing. We must try to play more on the deck.
Precisely PL21 - spot on in all respects ! :-D
tommyg
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by tommyg »

I think of all our players, only Pearce, Bodin, Labadie and possibly Chappell will attract serious interest in the summer.

Downes is slightly overrated. Love his commitment and understand why he's a fan-favourite but he makes far too many mistakes. He would be excellent to keep in the Conference but Pearce is the more all-rounded of the two (like Saah last season).
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Sponsors of Lirak Hasani, 2024-2025
We now head Due South to all games!

TUST Member 468

taunton_gull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by taunton_gull »

http://www.herefordunited.co.uk/news/ar ... 27764.aspx

Very worrying news coming out of Hereford. You have to wonder what will lie ahead for us in the next year.
The original taunton_gull!!!
Neal
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Neal »

taunton_gull wrote:http://www.herefordunited.co.uk/news/ar ... 27764.aspx

Very worrying news coming out of Hereford. You have to wonder what will lie ahead for us in the next year.
Precisely, why our few good players not contracted will leave. And we will be left with some high paid dross (relatively speaking for the conference).

In my opinion next season will be a mid table conference finish. And we shouldn't spend beyond our means as there is little hope for a play off spot because we have too many poor players on league 2 money contracted for next season. The season after when these can be let go we can hopefully try and make a play off challenge. Also by then we will know if CH is good enough as well. Not depressing, reality!
TUST MEMBER
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

Just finished watching Luton v Woking on BT Sport. Unbeaten Luton went down 1-0 to mid-table Woking who played really well and could have won by more.
If this is a taste of what to expect next season then on our current form ie lack of goals then it's going to be another worrying time.
Rendell had a good game for Woking and had a header disallowed. Can't help thinking he would have been a better bet than Stockley.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

ah, this thread......its like a turd that wont flush away.........

its back on again.........although to be honest it was never off.

looking forward to going to macclesfield and lincoln.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Sponsors of Lirak Hasani, 2024-2025

TUST Member 468

SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

after tonight it is goodnight.

TUST Member 468

AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

I'm looking forward to Grimsby (hopefully in Aug / Sep for a weekend out by the Humber in Cleg Vegas), Lincoln when I've promised myself I'm going to get battered and go on the train for once, Alfreton who surely can't go up can they?! Would be just my luck that a team 10 minutes away and who play in a village the size of my genitals go up into the football league.

Nuneaton is not far, Chester for the Roman ambience, a shit York if you like. Hopefully Halifax if my car will get up the hills, the Macc Lads revisited, Kiddy too, Wrecsam, hopefully North Ferriby but if not Telford. Plus some southern games like Braintree and Salisbury. To be honest, it's real honest non league football at league 1 prices. What's not to like?!!
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.