Jake robinson - signed

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Fonda wrote: Is that the same Macklin that we've just signed on a long-term deal? Bucks does seem to change his mind quickly.

We've disposed of 2 first-team players and a loanee, and replaced them with 2 loanee's. No, i don't think that does make us stronger.

Then I think you're allowing your disappointment at losing Benyon to mask sensible reasoning. We're chasing two other targets at the moment and it isn't a case of Buckle changing his mind, it's about players not doing what's expected of them, as in the case of Hemmings.

The two loanees are both held in very high esteem by their fans and I don't think you're being fair or reasonable in your assessment to be honest.

Good work by Buckle today, time to get behind the new players not blame them for Benyon being sold.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

NickGull wrote:Yep he did, Shane. However, alot of those goals (if not all) of them were down to him getting in the right position at the right time. I can't recall him scoring one that wasn't a tap in this season (happy to be corrected though), and maybe Robinson has a bit more holding the ball up about him, and more threat in the air.
Hereford away, the poles which hold up the net are still shaking.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Super Jason Fowler

Post by Fonda »

With respect Dave, time will tell how good Buckles work has been today. You're confident the team has been strengthened, wheras I think by replacing committed players (or at least one) with loanee's, we won't get the same level of consistency. Perhaps you could wait before telling me my pessimism is wrong? I hope i am, but there's nothing that will be said tonight that will convince me of it.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

touché, Matt. Still, the point is that the majority of goals are scored within the 6 yard box.

However, alot of teams don't have that sort of opportunist striker, so it was good to have one for once!
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Fonda wrote:With respect Dave, time will tell how good Buckles work has been today. You're confident the team has been strengthened, wheras I think by replacing committed players (or at least one) with loanee's, we won't get the same level of consistency. Perhaps you could wait before telling me my pessimism is wrong? I hope i am, but there's nothing that will be said tonight that will convince me of it.

I would if you could provide me with the quote where I said you were wrong?
Dave

tommyg
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by tommyg »

Dave,

Could these two targets be signed in the next 10 minutes, or are we waiting for the loan window next week? I want to go bed soon.
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Fonda »

NickGull wrote:Yep he did, Shane. However, alot of those goals (if not all) of them were down to him getting in the right position at the right time. I can't recall him scoring one that wasn't a tap in this season (happy to be corrected though), and maybe Robinson has a bit more holding the ball up about him, and more threat in the air.
Getting in the right position at the right time is what being a goalscorer is all about. Did Ruud Van Nistelrooy ever score a goal for United from outside the penalty area? I don't really see that as reasonable basis for criticism of him.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

They might already have signed, they might not, you know how deadline day goes mate.
Dave

ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Shane, I understand your point, but by the same logic (good logic) which says that we can't start planning the promotion party because of two loan signings, there is absolutely no reason to break out the noose and wobbly stool. These two might be hopeless, or epic, only time will tell, and until then it's unfair in the extreme to condemn Bucks, the club and the new boys without first seeing them play a fair number of minutes.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
tommyg
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by tommyg »

Southampton Gull wrote:They might already have signed, they might not, you know how deadline day goes mate.
I'll pop the kettle on then.
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Fonda »

Southampton Gull wrote:
I would if you could provide me with the quote where I said you were wrong?
Dave, i'm not sure what your issue is. The point is we disgaree. I don't have a problem with that - but it doesn't make one of us right and one wrong - yet. Let's just wait and see - you being optimistic, me less so.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Southampton Gull wrote:They might already have signed, they might not, you know how deadline day goes mate.

exactly dave.

they could still be signed even if its not announced before 11pm............quote from the bbc site
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Sponsors of Lirak Hasani, 2024-2025
We now head Due South to all games!

TUST Member 468

Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Fonda wrote: Getting in the right position at the right time is what being a goalscorer is all about. Did Ruud Van Nistelrooy ever score a goal for United from outside the penalty area? I don't really see that as reasonable basis for criticism of him.
Don't get me wrong, it was good to have someone who could hit the net from those sort of chances. I didn't really mean it as a sort of criticism, it's just that personally I never really felt confident if Benners was through one-on-one with the keeper where he's about 12 yards out. Maybe that was just me. Robinson scored one of them against us at their place, and I'm fairly confident that if he gets a couple of goals in these first two games, he'll have a good half a season with us. Hopefully, anyway.

My main criticism(s) of Benners would be that he sometimes takes a while getting back into play after chasing a ball down. He strolls back, so is ineffective and useless as he's in an offside position. More recently, he must have been trying to improve that side of the game, aswell as the physical side, as he wasn't being pushed to the floor as much as he used too. However, with his stature, he's always going to lack any aerial presence.
CraigUnder
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by CraigUnder »

2 mins left.....
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Fonda »

ferrarilover wrote:Shane, I understand your point, but by the same logic (good logic) which says that we can't start planning the promotion party because of two loan signings, there is absolutely no reason to break out the noose and wobbly stool. These two might be hopeless, or epic, only time will tell, and until then it's unfair in the extreme to condemn Bucks, the club and the new boys without first seeing them play a fair number of minutes.

Matt.
Matt, i'm well aware they might turn out to be great. I didn't intend to be particularly critical of them at all. My original point was not that the incoming players would be bad, it was merely that we've been mugged again in the transfer market. I can confidently predict that no loan signing we have made or will make, will give the effort that Benyon did though.