Open training session 5/7

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

Any info on the trialist Irish midfielder Paddy Cregg, who has spent most of his senior career in the Scottish Premier. Was released by St Johnstone where he was a first-team regular for St Johnstone. Moved from Arsenal to Falkirk in 2006 and has since played for Arsenal, Hibernian, Morton and St Mirren. http://www1.skysports.com/football/play ... rick-cregg
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

He's not had a club for two years and seems to spend a year at a place before being released and taking a while to find somewhere new.
Seems like a bad idea to me. Perhaps there's an excuse and to reject him out of hand seems unfair, so perhaps a trial is a good thing. He'll need a damn good explanation for his history, however.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

(Double post)
Last edited by Richinns on 08 Jul 2014, 16:40, edited 2 times in total.
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain

Post by Richinns »

Interesting set of trialists for the midfield spots - if not spectacular.
With the little I know Paddy Cregg seems by far the best of the bunch
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/27553549
Seems their manager thinks fairly highly of him as a character and was at pains to release him judging by the comments. A player similar to Lathrope with a bit more ‘bite’ (in the non Labadie sense!) would suit nicely.

The other two (Godfrey Poku and Courtney Richards) have fairly limited experience (especially Richards) which make me believe it is one of these
two for the second spot available.
Time will tell but we need a tough tackling ball winner and if these three players are of that mould then I am happy.
TUST member 328
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

Poku has made a decent number of Conference appearances. Seems to have done OK as well, generally been with top-half sides so might have something about him.

No idea on Courtney Richards - anyone got any info?
Kit_robin
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Kit_robin »

Think you might be being a bit harsh on Poku there, Rich. I recognised his name from playing with a few conference clubs. He had a reputation as a bit of a hot prospect when he signed for Luton. He was getting some experience, but then that complete d****ead Gary Breadbin took over and I think his days were numbered then. I recall him going on loan to a few clubs, and checking google I see it was Southport before he signed for Mansfield permanently. I'm pretty sure in his first spell at Southport it was when they were doing well and finished just outside the playoffs, not sure how they got on when he played a whole season for them. I see he finished last season on loan at Alfreton who dropped out of the playoffs near the end, but were challenging at the right end of the table at least.

He seems to fit CH's idea of what a signing should be - someone who has performed well at this level before, but still reasonably young enough to have enthusiasm and drive and that may improve. I also remember him more as a ball winner than a playmaker, so could balance the signing of young. Saying all that, though, I dont think ive ever seen him play so he could be completely rubbish!

As for Cregg - well, looking at history (for us and others), bottom end SPL players seem to be half decent League 2 players - think Olejnik, Zola etc.

Richards is a raw one, no doubt.

I will be popping along to Dartington tomorrow to see how they get on, anyway.
yellowforever
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Our next signing

Post by yellowforever »

Richinns wrote:Interesting set of trialists for the midfield spots - if not spectacular.
With the little I know Paddy Cregg seems by far the best of the bunch
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/27553549
Seems their manager thinks fairly highly of him as a character and was at pains to release him judging by the comments. A player similar to Lathrope with a bit more ‘bite’ (in the non Labadie sense!) would suit nicely.

The other two (Godfrey Poku and Courtney Richards) have fairly limited experience (especially Richards) which make me believe it is one of these
two for the second spot available.
Time will tell but we need a tough tackling ball winner and if these three players are of that mould then I am happy.
Richards is the better of the two without a doubt. Cregg is an interesting one - for someone with a decent pedigree, how has he not managed to pick up a club in the last year?
"We are now so far up sh*t creek our boat is actually poking out the end of someones toilet bowl."
Brucie. 27/02/14
CP Gull

Post by CP Gull »

ferrarilover wrote:He's not had a club for two years and seems to spend a year at a place before being released and taking a while to find somewhere new.
Seems like a bad idea to me. Perhaps there's an excuse and to reject him out of hand seems unfair, so perhaps a trial is a good thing. He'll need a damn good explanation for his history, however.

Matt.
Eh? are we talking about Paddy Cregg because if so I'm not sure where you are getting that information from! Unless playing in the Scottish Premier League doesn't count!

He has made over 50 appearances for St. Johnstone in the last 2 years and featured for them in the Europa League. He was also unfortunate not to get on the pitch when they (St Johnstone) won the Scottish FA cup this year, having featured in the previous rounds. He has been a fixture in their team for the best part of the last 2 years, only losing his starting place around the turn of the year.

To me, he is clearly the stand out "name" amongst the trialists and would certainly be an excellent replacement for Mansell and/or Lathrope. In fact, I would go so far as to say that it is a huge surprise that he would even consider playing for us at our level, given where he has come from! At 28, he is a decent age too.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

CP Gull wrote: Eh? are we talking about Paddy Cregg because if so I'm not sure where you are getting that information from! Unless playing in the Scottish Premier League doesn't count!

He has made over 50 appearances for St. Johnstone in the last 2 years and featured for them in the Europa League. He was also unfortunate not to get on the pitch when they (St Johnstone) won the Scottish FA cup this year! having featured in the previous rounds? He has been a fixture in their team for the best part of the last 2 years, only losing his place around the turn f the year.

To me, he is clearly the stand out "name" amongst the trialists and would certainly be an excellent replacement for Mansell and/or Lathrope. In fact, I would go so far as to say that it is a huge surprise that he would even consider playing for us at our level, given where he has come from!
perhaps he just wants to live by the seaside............ :}
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Sponsors of Lirak Hasani, 2024-2025
We now head Due South to all games!

TUST Member 468

ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Sorry Chris, I've just relooked at the SkySports link posted by a chap earlier in the thread and realised that I'd misunderstood it. Disregard.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain

Post by Richinns »

CP Gull wrote: Eh? are we talking about Paddy Cregg because if so I'm not sure where you are getting that information from! Unless playing in the Scottish Premier League doesn't count!

He has made over 50 appearances for St. Johnstone in the last 2 years and featured for them in the Europa League. He was also unfortunate not to get on the pitch when they (St Johnstone) won the Scottish FA cup this year, having featured in the previous rounds. He has been a fixture in their team for the best part of the last 2 years, only losing his starting place around the turn of the year.

To me, he is clearly the stand out "name" amongst the trialists and would certainly be an excellent replacement for Mansell and/or Lathrope. In fact, I would go so far as to say that it is a huge surprise that he would even consider playing for us at our level, given where he has come from! At 28, he is a decent age too.
Yep - hope the formalities have been sorted now as other teams might have been alerted. Suspect we could not finalise this before we knew the future of Manse / Cooper / Lathrope but now they have left the wage bill lets hope this is as good as done!
TUST member 328
RussianGull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by RussianGull »

Poku sounds like the sort of player I'm expecting us to be signing. Trust in the manager, his idea of a player can't be worse than Knills