James McQuilkin Midfielder signs

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Gullscorer wrote: !0:36, I made it.. :~D
Forgive me G/S, I live in Newton Abbot, it's different time zone.. :)
Formerly known as forevertufc
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

Nope - G/S has just forgotten to change his time settings. It was posted at 09:36 GMT

;-)

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

Scott Brehaut wrote:Nope - G/S has just forgotten to change his time settings. It was posted at 09:36 GMT
;-)
You're right. I'm on GST not GMT. (You've been wondering what am I on)... =D
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Scott Brehaut »

Gullscorer wrote: You're right.
:goodpost:

I know.

:)

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

The club is still not paying him: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/30986110
Does that mean he's currently an amateur..?? Either way, he's a hero.. :bow:
Perhaps the money donated for Durrell Berry should be given to this guy..
Dutchgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Dutchgull »

Absolutely
kevgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by kevgull »

Dutchgull wrote:Absolutely
CH suggests he is playing for free. However the lad comes off the bench and plays an integral part in us getting through to the quarter finals, with all the financial benefits this will bring.

Do we give him some pocket money for his efforts? What a very sad club we have become!
Life is like TUFC. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. :goal:
PlainmoorRoar
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PlainmoorRoar »

Gullscorer wrote:The club is still not paying him: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/30986110
Does that mean he's currently an amateur..?? Either way, he's a hero.. :bow:
Perhaps the money donated for Durrell Berry should be given to this guy..
All the pledges for Durrell Berry will be refunded as the target won't be reached,

If the crowdfunder idea is to work, the club needs to back it
TUFC FACEBOOK PAGE - https://www.facebook.com/insideplainmoor
TUFC TWITTER PAGE - https://twitter.com/TUFC1899

Torquay United Supporters Trust member - Join the TUST now!
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

kevgull wrote: CH suggests he is playing for free. However the lad comes off the bench and plays an integral part in us getting through to the quarter finals, with all the financial benefits this will bring.

Do we give him some pocket money for his efforts? What a very sad club we have become!
I suppose the other way of looking at it is that he is being given an opportunity to showcase his talents, whilst we try and come up with a contract or a better offer comes his way. His alternative is to do what? he has a better chance of getting a deal somewhere by doing well with us, in the way Durrell Berry did.
kevgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by kevgull »

hector wrote: I suppose the other way of looking at it is that he is being given an opportunity to showcase his talents, whilst we try and come up with a contract or a better offer comes his way. His alternative is to do what? he has a better chance of getting a deal somewhere by doing well with us, in the way Durrell Berry did.
Desparate times call for desparate measures.

The club could buy a dozen cheap buckets and get the Youth squad to mingle with the fans during the FC Man game. All donations to go to McQuilkin?
Life is like TUFC. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. :goal:
CP Gull

Post by CP Gull »

This situation with McQuilkin, if he genuinely is playing for NOTHING, as we are led to believe by Chris Hargreaves really is shocking. I know there is a benefit to the player in "putting himself in the shop window" but to be using him in this way without reward, taking advantage of his unemployed situation is quite poor on the part of the club really when you think about it. I mean even those workers in those grubby sweatshops get paid SOMETHING!

The other concern, for me, is what if he breaks a leg whilst paying for us or God forbid even suffers a career ending injury? Will we pay him anything then? I guess not, he will just be discarded and we will move on to the next desperate pro who is trying to reassurect his career!

Embarassing really, when you consider that the combined wealth of the Board of Directors must be in excess of what, say £30 million (pure guesswork on my part but there are nine of them) that this guy should be even considered. I accept we cannot afford to pay him, but if that's the case is it really morally right to expect him to play? .... for nothing!

As has been suggested, perhaps the time has indeed come to "get the buckets out" a la Exeter City from around 10 years ago. I never ever thought it would come to this under the current consortium but I am beginning to sense that this sadly is indeed what it has come to.

I accept that nobody is forcing him to play, just like nobody is forcing those poor sweatshop workers to work for a pittance ... It is his choice and his risk but if he crumbles in a heap and is stretchered off on Saturday ...... would our Board support him financially through his rehabilitation, I wonder? Perhaps, maybe their consciences might kick in .... but I wouldn't bank on that Mr McQuilkin if I were you!

I imagine young Aaron Dawson may well be the next in line for the "sweatshop" style of remuneration employed by TUFC!
kevgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by kevgull »

CP Gull wrote:This situation with McQuilkin, if he genuinely is playing for NOTHING, as we are led to believe by Chris Hargreaves really is shocking. I know there is a benefit to the player in "putting himself in the shop window" but to be using him in this way without reward, taking advantage of his unemployed situation is quite poor on the part of the club really when you think about it. I mean even those workers in those grubby sweatshops get paid SOMETHING!

The other concern, for me, is what if he breaks a leg whilst paying for us or God forbid even suffers a career ending injury? Will we pay him anything then? I guess not, he will just be discarded and we will move on to the next desperate pro who is trying to reassurect his career!

Embarassing really, when you consider that the combined wealth of the Board of Directors must be in excess of what, say £30 million (pure guesswork on my part but there are nine of them) that this guy should be even considered. I accept we cannot afford to pay him, but if that's the case is it really morally right to expect him to play? .... for nothing!

As has been suggested, perhaps the time has indeed come to "get the buckets out" a la Exeter City from around 10 years ago. I never ever thought it would come to this under the current consortium but I am beginning to sense that this sadly is indeed what it has come to.

I accept that nobody is forcing him to play, just like nobody is forcing those poor sweatshop workers to work for a pittance ... It is his choice and his risk but if he crumbles in a heap and is stretchered off on Saturday ...... would our Board support him financially through his rehabilitation, I wonder? Perhaps, maybe their consciences might kick in .... but I wouldn't bank on that Mr McQuilkin if I were you!

I imagine young Aaron Dawson may well be the next in line for the "sweatshop" style of remuneration employed by TUFC!
:goodpost:
Neal
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Neal »

Im in 2 minds about this.

I agree that it seems like we are taking advantage. BUT.... You have answered the question, he doesn't have to do it. He can go and get another job, labouring, window cleaning, hotel work etc etc etc. No one is holding a gun to his head!!

I wouldn't be surprised if a club like us aren't getting enquiries each week from players who are desperate to join us for training and a chance in professional football and would do it for nothing.

25 years ago I did a similar thing to get into my industry what Im in today. In fact I may do it again if I choose to change my profession again.

Its a tough one, because It brings into question the subject of 0 hours which Im still undecided about because in semi retirement this might suit me. However for a family situation 0 hours just doesn't work and the government ends up propping up employers with in work benefits.

But, I would support the idea of donations to give the lad some money. Maybe the crowdfunding money that was pledged could be diverted to James. I would be happy with my pledge to go to him anyway.
TUST MEMBER
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

You'd think the PFA would have something to say about this situation. But presumably, ultimately it's his choice, as you say, provided everyone is aware of all the ramifications. However, to see the news in the mainstream media that the club is not paying one of their players is to see bad publicity about the current state of the club and is hardly going to encourage professional players elsewhere to join the Gulls..
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

It's not exactly a new idea for non-league clubs to have players on 'non-contract terms'. He has been without employment since the summer and we have offered him the opportunity to prove himself, either for us or for someone else to see and he has accepted that offer. And I doubt very much he is playing for free - usually in these cases the club is helping with accommodation or travel costs.
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084