Chapell Departs

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by Glostergull »

DJ Gull wrote:Gullscorer, I will never be able to express how greatful I am for that information :)
I think Generaly. Bowing down before him. a quick lick of both boots. and cheques to the value of ??? :lol:
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843
Sunnysideup
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Manse

Post by Sunnysideup »

cambgull wrote: Good to see you obviously know nothing about modern football. They still have to work defensively.
If you cast your mind back to when Lathrope played as a holding midfielder, he usually slotted to whichever wing the threat was coming down. Good job too as lets face it, Bodin and Stevens (or whoever was playing as wide attackers) were **** all use at tracking back and assisting the fullback...
Apathy Rules...............it's ok though, nobody's that fussed about it........
cambgull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: All Of Them

Post by cambgull »

Sunnysideup wrote:If you cast your mind back to when Lathrope played as a holding midfielder, he usually slotted to whichever wing the threat was coming down. Good job too as lets face it, Bodin and Stevens (or whoever was playing as wide attackers) were **** all use at tracking back and assisting the fullback...
The wingers are still responsible for defensive duties and covering the opposing full back. The way that Buckle used them is not the right way of doing it. If you look at the likes of Arsenal, Real Madrid & Barcelona, and many others using these styles of play, you'll find the wingers track back to around the half way line or perhaps slightly shallower before passing off the defensive duties to another team mate, such as the 3 in midfield or the full backs.

This allows for another team mate, better at tackling, to dispossess the player and play the ball into the wingers whom have already lost their marker by 30 yards. The wingers then pick up the ball and have the option of the other winger who is also in space or the forward who drops back to receive a pass to feet and allows time for the central midfield to push up, by which time the winger has pushed back out wide, goal side of the full back who cannot catch him or has a hell of a job to do so.

This is why you see so many teams using the variation of the 4-3-3 these days, it allows for opposition players to be man marked whilst the central midfield have free roaming off the ball. Once the team are on the ball, then the centre gets more compact to allow for shorter passing and better ball retention and also allows for greater counter-attacking through the use of wingers, often playing on their opposite foot (left footed on right wing, etc).
Luke.

"Successful applicants need not apply"
Sunnysideup
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Manse

Post by Sunnysideup »

cambgull wrote: The wingers are still responsible for defensive duties and covering the opposing full back. The way that Buckle used them is not the right way of doing it.
Camb, wtf has it got to do with Buckle? Lathrope was used as a holding midfielder by Ling, sat behind Mansell and OKane. You know, once he decided that a 2 man midfield was inviting too much pressure on the defence ? Yes, the wide players should be aware of their defensive duties. We just havnt had one that seems capable of tracking back as he should, since Zebs and Wayne.
Apathy Rules...............it's ok though, nobody's that fussed about it........
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

Sunnysideup wrote: Camb, wtf has it got to do with Buckle? Lathrope was used as a holding midfielder by Ling, sat behind Mansell and OKane. You know, once he decided that a 2 man midfield was inviting too much pressure on the defence ? Yes, the wide players should be aware of their defensive duties. We just havnt had one that seems capable of tracking back as he should, since Zebs and Wayne.
:goodpost:
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Jordan Chapell speaks to the Grimsby press; http://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/Grims ... story.html

"The new manager changed things up and took me out of the team, which was obviously a big shock to me because I'd gone from top-scorer and playing week-in, week-out, to being taken straight out of the team.

"Things at Torquay started to go slowly downhill and as that happened, more and more focus was put on the FA Trophy and the importance of getting to Wembley.

"It's been in the back of my mind for the last year or so – Torquay is a long way from home,"

For the full story click the link. I think this certainly shows personal frustrations that built up inside Jordan Chapell after Chris Hargreaves took over, I think JC stops short in this interview of slamming our current boss, but read this as a dig at CH.

Yes JC does admit to homesickness, but what is the cause, no player is guaranteed a starting place, but to go into the half way point of last season as top goal scorer on 5 , to be frozen out of the squad instantly by the new boss, then to end the season still as top goal scorer on 5 is a damning indictment indeed.

Had he (JC) been managed better, would homesickness been such a big issue ?
Formerly known as forevertufc
tommyg
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by tommyg »

Didn't Chapell's five goals all come at the very start of the season? He had an excellent month and then declined - even before Hargreaves was appointed manager. I think it was Cameron who replaced him in the team and to be fair, he was one of our best performers under Hargreaves last season. Seems to me that Chapell didn't want to fight for his place in the team and got the hump. Average player for this level in my opinion. Not quick enough over a long distance and poor end product. He has a good first touch and will chip in with a few goals but he wasn't consistent enough to command a regular place in the team.
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

Nothing new; sour grapes happens regularly in football.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Player doesn't get picked regularly, plays poorly when given a chance and gets shipped out then said player takes a dig at ex-manager. Nothing new there and says more about the inadequecies of Jordan Chapell than it does about Hargreaves.

Poor attempt at trying to blame Mr Hargreaves, David.

D-, must try harder ;-)
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Southampton Gull wrote: Poor attempt at trying to blame Mr Hargreaves, David.

D-, must try harder ;-)
I'm here for the purposes of creating debate David, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I will try harder. :)
Neal
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Neal »

Top scorer with 5 goals says it all
TUST MEMBER
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Yes it does say a lot. Chris Hargreaves forked JC off out of the team and replaced him with a bunch of his own players who couldn't score 5 goals between them.
kevgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by kevgull »

I thought Chapell was a decent player, looking forward to seeing whether he shines under new management or goes backwards.
Life is like TUFC. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. :goal:
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

I thought he showed signs of being a really exciting player. Unfortunately he proved to be as reliable as a truck bought by Forevertufc ;-)
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Southampton Gull wrote:I thought he showed signs of being a really exciting player. Unfortunately he proved to be as reliable as a truck bought by Forevertufc ;-)
:rofl: Got the engine rebuilt trade and moved it on to a new home, serves me right for buying Ford Ranger, there's an old saying, bag of nails two bits of board, knock um together and you've got a Ford. :)

Got a poor mans Vito now, Peugeot Expert, still never took a spanner to it and it flew through it's MOT today, so feel better now. :nod: