BOARD OF DIRECTORS AND JOINT TUFC & TUST STATEMENT

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
DevonYellow
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Jean Pierre-Simb

Post by DevonYellow »

I admire your optimism, I honestly do! But, and it's a big but, he has had 12 chances to convince us and yielded one win. We have gone backwards if anything. Lots of us see this, we can't all be wrong! Other managers come in after the window has shut and make a difference with what was left, that's what makes them decent managers.

As I posted elsewhere...on Saturdays I'm right behind him and the lads but I'm not going to sit here and just believe everything is miraculously going to get better when all the evidence before me suggests it won't.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Err what was left? Do you really think anybody could have gelled those players into a team?

I'm not claiming Nicholson to be the new messiah but I do recognise that he's the one best placed to change our fortunes. No disrespect intended but I'm starting to feel that some people are only happy when being negative, I've never been that way. I'm not blind, we've been woeful but the efforts of the players have been mostly to blame for that.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

And will Nicholson drop himself...not a chance and he is fecking useless. We could sign Ajala, Daniel, Ched Evans and a couple more but we would still get relegated with Nicholson playing and nodding dog Herrera directing things on the sidelines

Of course it is still doable - look at Southport but with the next three games being played in which we will inevitably lose (and heavily) the gap is going to be a whole lot bigger.

We havn't got a hope of avoiding relegation and anybody who has bought into this garbage must be stupid or barmy, or probably both.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Posts like yours are so boringly predictable. In the past we've strung results together and you're nowhere to be seen. Lets hope Nico succeeds ;-)
Dave

ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

We are miles too small and the local population is miles too apathetic for our club to be successful under community ownership.

We live in a place occupied by three types of people:

1) young, dumb and mum - dole scum bussed in by the dozen for reasons unknown. Famous for having no money for anything except twenty Lambert and Butler.
2) very, very old people - famous for having no money for anything except Gala Bingo's Thursday night OAP special.
3) a tiny handful of middle class people - famous for having plenty of money, but a fondness for authentic camembert and Jaguars has left us with little ambition to own a football club.

You need, what, 800,000 to run TUFC for a year and do it properly. That's still £200 each between 4000 people.

I reckon somewhere in the order of 1200 of our regular 1700 attendees are hardcore fans. I'd say 3/4 of them would not be able to fritter away an extra £200, let alone the £666 it would actually be. That leaves (as is so often the case) a tiny number of us to foot an annual bill of somewhere around £2000. I'll grant you, it's excellent value. It's considerably less than I begrudgingly hand over every year to the treasury, only then for them to hand most of it to the aforementioned dole scum. Would I do it? Would I pay getting on for £2500 to watch Conference level football 24 times a year?

Hahahahaha, would you?

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
DevonYellow
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Jean Pierre-Simb

Post by DevonYellow »

Southampton Gull wrote:Err what was left? Do you really think anybody could have gelled those players into a team?

I'm not claiming Nicholson to be the new messiah but I do recognise that he's the one best placed to change our fortunes. No disrespect intended but I'm starting to feel that some people are only happy when being negative, I've never been that way. I'm not blind, we've been woeful but the efforts of the players have been mostly to blame for that.
Do I honestly think a better manager could have got a tune out of those players? Yes, yes I do.

An eleven of Lavercombe, Berry, MacDonald, Smith, Butler, Hurst, Richards, Heslop, Shep, Marsh, Wright should have more than enough to see off some of the teams we've lost against.

I know we won't agree on this....hey that's what makes forums interesting, but I bloody hope it's you that's right.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

To some extent you both make good points: a different, more experienced, manager might have got more out of the players, but not necessarily so. The efforts (or lack of effort) of the players derive from their attitude and degree of commitment to the team and to the club, which can be due to a number of factors: some may be homesick, some may be finding life too stressful living independently on such low incomes, a few may simply feel they do not fit in. Perhaps what the clubs needs more than anything right now is a good sports psychologist. It works for Johanna Konta; why not for the Torquay United team. At the very least, bring in somebody experienced such as Paul Sturrock to assist and advise.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

DevonYellow wrote: Do I honestly think a better manager could have got a tune out of those players? Yes, yes I do.

An eleven of Lavercombe, Berry, MacDonald, Smith, Butler, Hurst, Richards, Heslop, Shep, Marsh, Wright should have more than enough to see off some of the teams we've lost against.

I know we won't agree on this....hey that's what makes forums interesting, but I bloody hope it's you that's right.
One of the reasons I disagree is that more than just a couple of those players just can't be bothered. Of the others there is less than a handful that can be relied on to carry out the managers directions. Hopefully once we can get a few replacements in to add to what's worth keeping we'll all see a big difference in performances.
Dave

kevgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by kevgull »

DevonYellow wrote:I admire your optimism, I honestly do! But, and it's a big but, he has had 12 chances to convince us and yielded one win. We have gone backwards if anything. Lots of us see this, we can't all be wrong! Other managers come in after the window has shut and make a difference with what was left, that's what makes them decent managers.

As I posted elsewhere...on Saturdays I'm right behind him and the lads but I'm not going to sit here and just believe everything is miraculously going to get better when all the evidence before me suggests it won't.

:goodpost:
Life is like TUFC. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. :goal:
absolutely3rdrate
New Signing
New Signing

Post by absolutely3rdrate »

I am partially reassured by the statement from the board. However why no mention of the Roberts allegations that they (the current board) wanted £1m to sell the club to the Roberts group?
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

That came as a throwaway remark to a less than serious party who made a cheeky bid for the club. Things are not always as they seem.
Dave

wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

Just because brucie makes a contribution that doesn't mean to say it is automatically wrong. On most - if not all - instances brucie has been proved right, with his remarks telling the truth about a situation. I'm with him all the way.
Incidentally, I can't understand why 'Mr' Dean Edwards was ever involved with the club in the first place (I exclude playing days here).