Player Search - Who Will Turn Up?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

MrTee75 wrote: 07 Jun 2018, 21:59 ,trying to get players signed is going to be tricky,I doubt there's any cash available for him,and trying to get quality loans to improve us will become harder now we are in NLS.
Not sure you correct on the 'cash' point Mr Tee - Osborne has already committed to the club remaining full-time and fully professional, and has guaranteed that Ower's "will be funded for promotion". A far cry from say part-time Concord Rangers with a 250 avg attendance or part-time Hungerford with a 260 avg attendance, who are funded to stave off relegation.

Getting quality players to play for us in the NLS league will be the tricky part. If Luke Young who has been described as a 'bog average national league player' thinks it a step to far away from football reality then what chance of getting any players other than those that are 'boggier than boggier'

But fear not - in Gary we trust! Remember his appointment criteria was that he had extensive contacts.
aggrey_25
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: aggrey

Post by aggrey_25 »

i find it very concerning that we haven't heard about davis, mcginty etc or the fact we have no players!! is it just me or is this a disater waiting to happen.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

aggrey_25 wrote: 08 Jun 2018, 16:44 i find it very concerning that we haven't heard about davis, mcginty etc or the fact we have no players!! is it just me or is this a disater waiting to happen.
I think it is still early days. Gotta be patient, Aggrey! Players and their agents will be considering options/offers or on holiday. Personally, I think it is good that we're not hearing anything. So many times in the past we have had reports of players 'about to sign' and nothing happens. Hopefully, Gary Owen has several irons in the fire and we will hear about definite signings in the next couple of weeks or so. If not, then I agree it will be a disaster waiting to happen. I suspect McGinty, Davis and Dorel won't be signing. All three are better than NLS. That's my opinion - I'm sure not everyone will agree!
budegull1954
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by budegull1954 »

On the Devonlive podcast this week, Dave Thomas mentions that Gary Owers has agreed terms with 4 players but nothing will be made public until those players actually sign up. Another of his targets was apparently just about to sign this week when a club higher up the pyramid made him an offer he couldn't refuse. I can understand Owers' reluctance to come out and say anything at the present time in case it ends in disappointment, for the club and especially we, the long-suffering fans.
Wolborough
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Wolborough »

But perhaps better not to divulge such things so as to avoid dissappointment. As with the one that got away, suspect not much will materialise from the offers as players look to alternative clubs. It’s all very well putting in offers but not in a way that raises expectations! Best left to say perhaps that TUFC are considering offers for a number of players? Ian concerned though that a few more players have not been signed up even at this stage of proceedings - the longer it goes, the more difficult it will become!
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by MellowYellow »

budegull1954 wrote: 08 Jun 2018, 17:41 Dave Thomas mentions that Gary Owers has agreed terms with 4 players but nothing will be made public until those players actually sign up.
I support the motion that until the players name is signed on the dotted line say nothing. A telephone conversation to a player or agent over the phone on terms means nothing, players or their agents will 'hedge their bets' and agree terms with 10 other managers to find the best deal. I expect Luke Young agreed terms with Yeovil, Cheltenham and Wrexham and took the later because they offered the best deal. It's likley McGinty, Davis and Dorrel are doing the same thing and stringing us along until the right club - right deal is struck.

Not to happy that its only 4 players that have been offered terms - hope they are not 'club castaways' from the trial day? Nah! In Gary we trust!
Wolborough
First Regular
First Regular

Post by Wolborough »

There needs to be a teal shift in terms of urgency to get the club’s mojo back but just don’t feel we have the right people in key positions to achieve this (sadly)!
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

Two signings coming in over the weekend. One a right sided striker the other a right sided centre-back.
Eirik
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Eifion Williams
Watches from: The sofa

Post by Eirik »

Two signings to be announced over the weekend according to the Instagram account. A striker and a central defender by the looks of it.

Edit: Nickbrod beat me to it :)
-Eirik-
Proud member of Torquay United Supporters Norway
https://www.facebook.com/groups/norwaygulls

TUST MEMBER - https://www.tust.co.uk/
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by MellowYellow »

Does not say new signings! Probably two of Nicho's old school - McGinty and Keating resigned.
gullno4
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Rene

Post by gullno4 »

LRT?
The gulls are going up
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Gulliball »

Looks like Keating and then George Essuman, a centre back from Dover.

Have to say, Brett Williams is going up in my estimations too...
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by MellowYellow »

Gulliball wrote: 09 Jun 2018, 00:20 Looks like Keating and then George Essuman, a centre back from Dover.
If it is George Essuman he has only played in one match for Dover across two seasons having joined them from Ryman League North side VCD Athletic. 1st season he was shipped out to Oxford City (5 games) and the following season to relegated Whitehawk (10 games - of which in his last two, the opposition scored 9 goals). The fact he is younger than my son, who I would not trust to defend a herd of goats, does not necessarily make him a bad player - His attributes are, he is a young 21 year old, 6ft 4in, and athletic, but fairly inexperienced. Promotional material player or bog average regional player? I'll let others decide. All that said, if it is him I will give him a rousing welcome and my full vocal support.
Wolborough
First Regular
First Regular

Post by Wolborough »

If these are the types of signings, perhaps we should be expecting more of a mid-table finish!
Hammdog2601
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by Hammdog2601 »

If Keating has decided to stay does this mean Romain is not happening? Surely Keating would not have signed if Romain was signing? Purely to the fact he would not get much game time