Mr Owers steps down

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Kingsgull83
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by Kingsgull83 »

Yorkieandy wrote: 09 Sep 2018, 14:57 Valid points about Owers being solely responsible for matters on the pitch and not Osborne and i totally agree.

What i disagree with is the notion that Osborne wants a successful TUFC and to see them climb back into the football league. Even more do i disagree that this is Osborne's selling point to the council.

First of all it's easier and quicker to destroy things and fail than to build things and achieve. In anything. It's easier for Osborne to destroy TUFC and send them tumbling through the non league divisions than it is for him to built a sustainable and successful football club to be back in the football league.

Therefore i propose that his aim isn't to accomplish the latter and then going to council and saying "look what we've achieved together" and thus convincing the council that the club is on the up and prosperous again and a new stadium is a good idea.

His aim is to accomplish the former and leave the club so lowly and decaying that he can then go to the council and say "look at the state of the club now. I've done my best but we are in the 11th tier of non league football with crowds of 85 and therefore there isn't really any point in building a new stadium now and the club isn't viable to run anymore so it's best for the community to hand over the freehold and i can build some houses for us all to benefit".

My opinions of course.
So let me get this right, the guy had a business plan, approaches potential investors and pitches this to the media and public on the baisis that we have a successful football team, but really he wants us to fail and send us down the league and he really doesn’t want to build a stadium???

It seems like allot to hard work and a little far fetched, surely there is lots of other land around he could sell for housing with allot less hassle?

The point is Owers has to go and judging from the video (you may call Me naive) but Osbourne wants a successful football team as they have invested in a squad of full time players at considerable expense. If they really wanted us to fail he wouldn’t have bothered.
As a previous post said Owers is on a sticky wicket and if bongs don’t change soon he will be joining Nicho’s coaching accademy.
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Kev Nic

Post by Yorkieandy »

I have to disagree with you Kingsgull. Osborne has got involved with TUFC for a reason yes but for what reason? I'm pretty confident he wouldn't have bothered getting involved at all if the club hadn't been offered to him for peanuts when it was desperate for cash. This leads me to believe that there is something other than the desire to see TUFC succeed which roped him in otherwise he wouldn't have swooped in like the proverbial vulture for what on the face of it looked like an opportunistic attack.

There were no yearning plans for Osborne to run a non league football club and in particular Torquay United as part of some long held vision, especially when he has no interest in the game nor even attends matches. Makes two of us then. ;-)

I'm pretty sure you must now be in a minority of fans that still believe it is Osborne's intention to actually build a new stadium.

I'm interested to know in his illustrious business career how many stadiums he has overseen the construction of for football clubs. :clown:
Kingsgull83
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by Kingsgull83 »

Don’t get me wrong I will be suprised if we get a state of the art all all singing all dancing stadium, I am not opposed to the idea though extra income through over ventures is a great idea.

I just don’t think he is deliberately trying to sabotage the team. (Owers might but through incompetence rather than design)

I guess non of us know and it is all speculation. One thing most of us agree on is that Owers has to go and soon. It is an embarrassment what is happening to the team.

Owers our
COYY
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Kev Nic

Post by Yorkieandy »

Absolutely Kingsgull and of course, none of us know really just what the hell is going on. Sometimes it's hard to believe that Osborne does too with his haphazard, lacklustre, non sensical approach to football club ownership.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

I don't believe Osbourne's sole intentions were to come in and destroy the business from within, and simply shut it down build his houses and ride off into the sun set. It really isn't that easy or simple. A solvent LTD company in some cases requires an agreement from its directors ( not sure if we have any ) and shareholders to close it down, an in-solvent ltd, still has limited liabilities to its creditors, so money it owes has to paid which falls again on directors and shareholders.

Another why I don't believe this, Clarke Osbourne could easily have present TUFC as an un-viable business right from day one, many hold the view he needs the club to get to his end goal, a view I agree with, but please don't feel the need to chuck these one liners at me, like ' deluded fool' 'when you lot going to wake up' 'been trying to warn you lot' I know, have done for long time, we all know CO isn't here for his love of football or the club.

Gary Owers has to go now, yesterday it struck me his time is now well and truely up, the popside, even the normally silent ends were all in unison with the 'owers out chats' The players can't perform under these conditions, and looked distraught at the end of game yesterday, it has change trouble who is in charge of what at the club, Mr Harrop is passing the buck now, telling me and others he's not in charge of the football side, only the business, well Mr Harrop there isn’t going to be business side if things don't change.
Formerly known as forevertufc
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

forevertufc wrote: 09 Sep 2018, 16:51 I don't believe Osbourne's sole intentions were to come in and destroy the business from within, and simply shut it down build his houses and ride off into the sun set. It really isn't that easy or simple. A solvent LTD company in some cases requires an agreement from its directors ( not sure if we have any ) and shareholders to close it down, an in-solvent ltd, still has limited liabilities to its creditors, so money it owes has to paid which falls again on directors and shareholders.

Another why I don't believe this, Clarke Osbourne could easily have present TUFC as an un-viable business right from day one, many hold the view he needs the club to get to his end goal, a view I agree with, but please don't feel the need to chuck these one liners at me, like ' deluded fool' 'when you lot going to wake up' 'been trying to warn you lot' I know, have done for long time, we all know CO isn't here for his love of football or the club.

Gary Owers has to go now, yesterday it struck me his time is now well and truely up, the popside, even the normally silent ends were all in unison with the 'owers out chats' The players can't perform under these conditions, and looked distraught at the end of game yesterday, it has change trouble who is in charge of what at the club, Mr Harrop is passing the buck now, telling me and others he's not in charge of the football side, only the business, well Mr Harrop there isn’t going to be business side if things don't change.
:goodpost: the anger is directed at Owers and quite simply this toxic atmosphere is effecting the players. Unless he goes it will not change, and we will have more tea-gate incidents away where we play in a field with no tunnel where he can run and hide.
Lucy
ExiledGull77-+
New Signing
New Signing
Favourite player: PaulHolmes

Post by ExiledGull77-+ »

hi everyone, valid points by all on here, my thoughts on the current situation at TUFC are one of massive mismanagement throughout the club, starting point being Owers through to Harrop and onto Osborne, what Harrop actually gets paid for i'm not quite sure, as since his arrival it's been all down hill for my beloved TUFC!! The current situation on the playing side thus far this season is along the lines of shambolic, defence is "average" for a "full-time" club in a poor league, mid-field look clueless the majority of the time, and strikers are firing blanks!! i guess you could argue that there is slight potential there as the team are relatively young!! but down to "on the pitch" recruitment, tactics & formation this season TUFC have come up massively short, and all roads lead back to Owers on that point! I must digress onto the situation of recruitment of players as i'm not sure on what size catchment area the scouts were looking over or where the bloody hell they were looking, but seeing a variety of games throughout the NLS & NLN over the last 2 seasons i believe they could've found some players locally from teams like Buckland athletic and Stoke Gabriel for example, who could've been nurtured into homegrown talent without the logistics and cost of bringing players into the club from further afield, trust me when i say the gap isn't that big!! (just my opinion!). Also in my opinion Owers has to go if we want to get out of this league first time of asking, as i fear that if we don't we will slip even further into non-league oblivion and the total demise of our once great club!! Final analysis of the situation is that for the last 4-5 seasons the mismanagement throughout the whole of TUFC has been one of a massive clusterfu*k!!! and in an ideal world all would have to go....... but unfortunately the supporters of TUFC don't live in an ideal world.....COYY...
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

In all fairness the supporters stuck with the team (and the manager) until the substitution of Keating when there was loud booing and I think Keating reacted to that when there was a heated exchange when he blanked Owers as he walked past him to the dugout.

I don't see that as anymore than a player frustrated at being substituted and angry that we were being beaten by a team we should have despatched easily.

After that there were loud chants around the ground until one fool in Bristows Bench shouted something about throwing more hot coffee over the manager. This brought a furious retort from another supporter and there was an almighty argument between the two.

Owers also reacted to the comment about the coffee.

Saying that the players can't perform in this atmosphere is just an excuse in my opinion. The players in general were supported well throughout the game. The crowd got behind Reid and he was applauded when he came off.

The team didn't actually appear as though they were not together either. There were plenty of handshakes and encouragement from the subs both before the game and at half time.

Saying that we should recruit from Stoke Gabrial and Buckand is just completely ludicrous.
ExiledGull77-+
New Signing
New Signing

Post by ExiledGull77-+ »

brucie I Didn't say we had to recruit, but down to naievity it was overlooked, I've played at that level and watched both NLN &NLS over 2 seasons Which I'm guessing you haven't.. to be in the conference premier it would maybe seem ludicrous, but we ain't, get real mate we are under-achieving in a regional league from which the majority of clubs source their recruitment locally and in-expensively. but due to mis-micro-management and seeming to believe we are the mighty TUFC we continue to source players like a league club on league expenses, but due to our lowly non-league position we are only able to attract and recruit "pro" players that already have not made it and failed. Its something that at this level of football needs to be looked at more in-depth. i'm thinking of 1 or 2 in a 23 man squad!!! take the rose-tinted specs off brucie, ive seen some of your other posts... lol
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

brucie wrote: 09 Sep 2018, 17:33 In all fairness the supporters stuck with the team (and the manager) until the substitution of Keating when there was loud booing and I think Keating reacted to that when there was a heated exchange when he blanked Owers as he walked past him to the dugout.

I don't see that as anymore than a player frustrated at being substituted and angry that we were being beaten by a team we should have despatched easily.

After that there were loud chants around the ground until one fool in Bristows Bench shouted something about throwing more hot coffee over the manager. This brought a furious retort from another supporter and there was an almighty argument between the two.

Owers also reacted to the comment about the coffee.

Saying that the players can't perform in this atmosphere is just an excuse in my opinion. The players in general were supported well throughout the game. The crowd got behind Reid and he was applauded when he came off.

The team didn't actually appear as though they were not together either. There were plenty of handshakes and encouragement from the subs both before the game and at half time.

Saying that we should recruit from Stoke Gabrial and Buckand is just completely ludicrous.
Coffee/ tea being thrown over him should be the least of his worries. I witnessed the whole incident at Gloucester and no person deserves that. I felt sorry for him after that. But the fact remains he is a shit, uninspiring manager and for that reason he is dead horse. He admitted yesterday he hasn't the answer as to why the team played so shit. Why maybe formation change, be inspiring. Regrettably none of which he has. When's your next match.
Lucy
Hammdog2601
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by Hammdog2601 »

Wouldn’t be suprised if Owers got a pay rise, he’s hitting every goal on Osbournes list
goody2449
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: luke Young

Post by goody2449 »

Jay Saunders is available, ex Maidstone manager, sack owers now and give the new man the best chance of saving the season! It’s a no brainer!
tufcyellowarmy
First Regular
First Regular
Watches from: Pop side

Post by tufcyellowarmy »

ExiledGull77-+ wrote: 09 Sep 2018, 18:00 brucie I Didn't say we had to recruit, but down to naievity it was overlooked, I've played at that level and watched both NLN &NLS over 2 seasons Which I'm guessing you haven't.. to be in the conference premier it would maybe seem ludicrous, but we ain't, get real mate we are under-achieving in a regional league from which the majority of clubs source their recruitment locally and in-expensively. but due to mis-micro-management and seeming to believe we are the mighty TUFC we continue to source players like a league club on league expenses, but due to our lowly non-league position we are only able to attract and recruit "pro" players that already have not made it and failed. Its something that at this level of football needs to be looked at more in-depth. i'm thinking of 1 or 2 in a 23 man squad!!! take the rose-tinted specs off brucie, ive seen some of your other posts... lol
:goodpost:
ExiledGull77-+
New Signing
New Signing

Post by ExiledGull77-+ »

Hammdog2601 wouldn't suprise me neither!!
kevgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by kevgull »

Based on current management decisions / results I think Owers is due another promotion.
Life is like TUFC. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. :goal: