Martin ling

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Scott - your view is hampered by not being able to watch the matches. Our position in the table was irrelevant to the way we were playing before Ling went off sick. We didn't end up in the mire because Ling went off sick, it was in fact in spite of that.
Blaming Taylor doesn't cut out it either. It patently obviously wasn't his fault at all - he was out of his depth and just tried to emulate Lings plan of winning every game 1-0.
There is no bigger example of that than when we fluked a win at Exeter. We were appalling in that game really against an Exeter side who had basically been found out as well.
We got a penalty then spent the rest of the game defending deeper and deeper - it actually was nothing short of embarassing.
Our training sessions were referred to as Butlins by the players - thats hardly a recommendation for the manager's work ethic is it.
Lazy, disinterested, just content to bobble along. You could apply this to the team,Lings approach to motivating the players.
I remember Lings after match interview after the Harrogate defeat - he didn't seem at all bothered. "the other team had to play above themselves" "we weren't ourselves". An absolute load of old baloney. A damned disgrace of a result against a team of part timers who had been still playing at ten o'clock at night a couple of days previously.
Knocked out of every cup competition in the first round - defeats against crap teams like Barnet and a shambolic display against Wimbledon on new years day.
If ever there was a marker as to what was about to follow then that was it.
But no - more complacency followed - in fact complacent could be Lings middle name.
Another radio interview after another damaging defeat and Lings explanation was that we were doing the same things as last year but not winning the games 1-0.
As I said before Lings tactic of marooning Howe 50 yards up the pitch and supporting him with the likes of the snail paced Nathan Craig on the wing - you would have had more excitement watchinhg two flies run up the wall.
I stoppped going after the wimbeldon game because I could see what was happening. I only started going on a regular basis once Knill arrived because we at least tried to win football matches.
Do not underestmate the groundswell of opinion shopuld Ling return as manager. There will be a fair few supporters (including me) who will not be attending Plainmoor to watch the dross served up by Ling again.
Mattpuma
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Situation Vacant

Post by Mattpuma »

The Harrogate performance summed it up perfectly for me. Ling chose to play the same way against inferior opposition and cost the club a possible large revenue stream. Contrast that to Buckles cup performances and you see the reason Lings way is not going to work long term as it drives down crowds and supporter optimism.
After that match he lost my support, the Cambridge fans said he was a one trick pony and how right they have been proved!
Tust member 191
coley in stripes
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by coley in stripes »

There were a few people questioning Ling before the end of last year, but most tended to ignore these and some even replied with abuse. It seems that their only defense despite the hell of a mess that we had been put in was to continuingly state that 'we won't go down'. Now that a complete outsider has come in and managed to save us, it seems suddenly to turn to 'Welcome back Ling'. Can't people think and work things out for their selves....
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Scott Brehaut »

cambgull wrote:At the same time Scott, you're also assuming that it wouldn't have happened under Ling.

It's all conjecture really, no one can know what would have happened so I'm not really sure why there is so much debate over it.
Well, quite, and I never claimed that it was fact - I'm just playing devils advocate against the assumption that there was no way back under Ling, that we were dead and buried and would have been "down in March" (to quote Andy).

As you say, nobody knows. Benyon could have still come in, banged in a ton of goals and we could have halted the slide down (not that we were sinking quickly given the league position we were in when Ling went off sick), and produced a run taking us into the playoffs.

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Scott Brehaut »

brucie wrote:Scott - your view is hampered by not being able to watch the matches. Our position in the table was irrelevant to the way we were playing before Ling went off sick. We didn't end up in the mire because Ling went off sick, it was in fact in spite of that.
Blaming Taylor doesn't cut out it either. It patently obviously wasn't his fault at all - he was out of his depth and just tried to emulate Lings plan of winning every game 1-0.
There is no bigger example of that than when we fluked a win at Exeter. We were appalling in that game really against an Exeter side who had basically been found out as well.
We got a penalty then spent the rest of the game defending deeper and deeper - it actually was nothing short of embarassing.
I can see your point - but I see that Exeter result at their gaff as a good display of defensive work, frustrating the Greasers who didn't seem to have a clue how to cope with the amount of players we had behind the ball. Manse was immense in that game.
Exeter threw everything at us and we held firm - it was an excellent result against our neighbours riding high in the league and giving it the "Billy big-bo****ks" attitude.

It wasn't pretty, I accept that - but a result none-the-less.

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Super Jason Fowler

Post by Fonda »

But we played like that at home too. Including against part-times in the FA Cup.

Keeping it tight and trying to nick a result away from home is understandable - indeed sensible at times. But to do it in every match is not.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
cambgull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: All Of Them

Post by cambgull »

You never know, Lingy might have been down the pub with a pint or five one morning and might have been given some tactics from an absolute genius of a man who should really be a football manager. We could see a rejuvenated manager who will oversee the start of quality, fast flowing and counter-attacking football and we'll all be clamouring at the doors of Plainmoor to get a ticket.

Or, I will almost certainly be wrong.
Luke.

"Successful applicants need not apply"
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Fonda wrote:But we played like that at home too. Including against part-times in the FA Cup.

Keeping it tight and trying to nick a result away from home is understandable - indeed sensible at times. But to do it in every match is not.
Spot on.
taxilady
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Micky Cave RIP
Watches from: Pop side

Post by taxilady »

HeraldExpress @ThisisSDevon
BREAKING NEWS: Torquay United terminate Martin Ling's contract. Details to follow #tufc #coyy
We'll Be Back ! TTID

TUST share number 066
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

WOW.

Official site.
MF68
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by MF68 »

Why hadnt the board acted before Martin became ill. The football was atrocious. What names have you guys come up with as next manager?
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

:O but also I think for the best.
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Super Jason Fowler

Post by Fonda »

I wish him the best of luck with his health, and in his next managerial position. But I consider that a positive and ambitious move from the club. Well done to those involved.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

Time to bring back Knill
Attachments
MrMackey.jpg
Ausgull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs -Legend

Post by Ausgull »

Time for Shaun Taylor to go as well, need a complete management over haul.