Martin ling

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Super Jason Fowler

Post by Fonda »

m'kay.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
gullno4
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Rene

Post by gullno4 »

his son on twitter!

@samling96: Some snakey movements done by the Torquay board, i'll shit on them all
The gulls are going up
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

at last - we cant put this thread to bed!
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Sponsors of Lirak Hasani, 2024-2025
We now head Due South to all games!

TUST Member 468

brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Ling wants his son to tell his son to shut the feck up. Whatever way you want to swing it Lings position at this football club was untenable.
After giving Simon Baker a fair bit of stick I would just like to apologise to him, I stood next to him at the Morecambe game and he seems a really nice genuine bloke, who loves his football and loves Torquay United.
I really wish Martin LIng all the best but after going off work with a "serious illness" he was never ever going to be in a position to waltz back in once we had been saved from relegation by someone else some three or four months later.
Sensible,harsh or whatever it really was the ONLY decision that could have been made.
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

Brucie talks a lot of sense. Ling's football was boring and tedious. Knill and Brass have shown they can do a good job - and get us promotion (which is what we all want).
Andovergull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Lee mansell

Post by Andovergull »

Do not always agree with Brucie but I do on the above
madgull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by madgull »

I said what conjecture is and outlined how this thread is conjecture. not opinion. I don't know what your standard of 'evidence' is, but somebody saying that somebody else said something isn't good enough for me. I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, as I'm not really bothered enough to go into what constitutes evidence, I'm just relieved that (hopefully) we've seen the last of the turgid excuse for football we've been playing! ;-)

Looking forward to see what the new season brings!!! :scarf:
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Modgull »

brucie wrote:Ling wants his son to tell his son to shut the feck up. Whatever way you want to swing it Lings position at this football club was untenable.
After giving Simon Baker a fair bit of stick I would just like to apologise to him, I stood next to him at the Morecambe game and he seems a really nice genuine bloke, who loves his football and loves Torquay United.
I really wish Martin LIng all the best but after going off work with a "serious illness" he was never ever going to be in a position to waltz back in once we had been saved from relegation by someone else some three or four months later.
Sensible,harsh or whatever it really was the ONLY decision that could have been made.
I agree with Brucie on the substantive point about the correctness of the decision but also support his view about SB. I think some of the criticism aimed at SB has been unwarranted.
Phil

Remember its a marathon not a sprint
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Modgull wrote: I agree with Brucie on the substantive point about the correctness of the decision but also support his view about SB. I think some of the criticism aimed at SB has been unwarranted.
By the same token, as ex-Chairman there are plenty of actions he undertook that deserve every bit of the criticism. I've never doubted he's a genuine person and loves the Club, unfortunately his vision of how things should be run is not only outdated but also small-minded.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Super Jason Fowler

Post by Fonda »

You'd have thought Lingy would have appreciated the message being delivered in a phone call. It saved him yet another bothersome trip to this side of the country. Certainly seemed during his tenure he spent most of his time in the South East rather than the South West. It must have been a real pain for him - spending 3 or 4 days a week down here...
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
taunton_gull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by taunton_gull »

The guy can jog on as far as I'm concerned. He denies his illness was alcohol related and full details will be given to his next club. (if he gets one) He seems to conveniently forget the club couldn't get hold of him and had to go through the LMA, there was more than one side to this story. He has done very nicely to get that pay off, onwards and upwards - we are far better off with Knill.
divingbboy
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Kevin Nicholson

Post by divingbboy »

I can guarantee you that, had the club waited until he arrived at Plainmoor to tell him he was sacked, his line in that interview would have been, "the club had me come all the way down from my home in Hertfordshire, leaving me to believe that everything was fine, only to sack me. Not very professional."
TUST member 203
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: david graham

Post by chunkygull »

divingbboy wrote:I can guarantee you that, had the club waited until he arrived at Plainmoor to tell him he was sacked, his line in that interview would have been, "the club had me come all the way down from my home in Hertfordshire, leaving me to believe that everything was fine, only to sack me. Not very professional."

:goodpost: :clap:
You are my torquay, my only torquay, you make me happy when skies are grey, you'll never know, just, how much i love you, so don't take my torquay away.
(laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la, - laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la. - la,la,la,la,la, - la,la,la,la....).
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

I hope Martin has said his bit now and moves on. I like the bloke, I think he did a great job in getting us to where we were last season as I'm sure everyone will agree, and at the moment should he ever return to Plainmoor I will applaud him after his efforts here. However, if he were to keep going down this road then I'll start to lose the respect I currently have for him.

He's said his piece, we're not saying anything, lets just hope the club and ML can move onto our separate paths now.