Chelmsford City Vs Torquay United - 4/8/18

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

We wont get promoted with this strike force, even with the promising Wright, we need an old head
EXPERIENCED STRIKER !! Not accepting they are 'few and far between ' Gary, there must be one out
there mid thirties dropping down the leagues, dont care if he cant run, where is Jon Parkin ?
Launceston Gull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Launceston Gull »

Truro 0 Jake Robinson 4. Very early days obviously but that result does emphasise how vital it is to have a tried and tested marksman.
Nick Potkins
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Nick Potkins »

Happy with a point, but feel we are light up front.

There must be players out there striker / assistant manager!
standupsitdown
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by standupsitdown »

Not a very exciting game.
Draw was probably a fair result. We nearly nicked it with header cleared off line form corner in added time but other than that Chelmsford came closest.
I thought we passed it better than they did but Chelmsford had more presence up front.
Rubbish ground although view not bad from what we chose to be the away end. I don’t think the Chelmsford fans were too happy that we didn’t move out and let them have it or the first half.
Oh and it was hot.
dennisk
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Ernie Pym

Post by dennisk »

Draw was a fair result. Shaun Macdonald, our reserve keeper, looked very accomplished and made some great saves. Not too much at all on the attacking front. However, probably a good point against one of the better sides in this league, on a day when it was far too hot for football. A good turn out by the yellow army. Brett Williams needs some help up front!
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

Wishful thinking I know but Nathan Blissett was on the bench for Macclesfield and never got on as a sub.
Just what we need up front.
__quiet__gull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Sills

Post by __quiet__gull »

Finally got home after a VERYYYYY long day on the road.

Well, actually a really good point, had a chat to several fans and they genuinely felt that a draw for them was not good enough, so even if the performance was not great, we did better than the home fans and the shrewd bookmakers (we were around 2-1 to win) had predicted.

The sun was roasting, not blaming conditions on the result, but it was very warm.

Chelmsford had 2 shots on target - 1 superb save and 1 expected save.
Torquay had 1 shot on target - 1 goal line clearance.

Possession was roughly 60% Chelmsford 40% Torquay

The only noticeable player on their team was Shaun Murphy, not because he was awesome, because all he did was fake a foul, moan, groan and be an arse all afternoon.

Player Ratings

Macdonald - 8/10 - made a great save, was good in the air and deserved a clean sheet.

Niate - 7/10 - passes were hoofed too often but is a very strong central defender.

Essuman - 7/10 - forming nice partnership with the other guys and definitely is the voice of the backline. Pretty impressive for a man so young.

Cameron - 6/10 - didn't show enough in the air, lost out all to often on headers - struggled clearly with the heat.

David - 6/10 - made a few runs down the left but STILL can't cross the ball. MUST WORK ON CROSSES IN TRAINING??!??

Wynter - 5/10 - in this game as equally disappointing as Reid. Needs to take a leaf from Davis' book and get up and down the flank. When he had the ball did nothing with it.

Hall - 7/10 - Had a good game, 'if' Chelmsford are one of the better teams then he ran the midfield as much as any other player on both sides. Some good long passes and almost setup Reid but as usual Reid was offside.

Dickson - 6/10 - Looked a little lost in the central midfield role, clearly a good player, some cool skills and tricks but nothing that made an impact on Torquay team play.

Regis - 6/10 - I think Regis looked great, can move, has presence and can pass, would have got a 7 but when he was subbed he looked pissed off and I can't help but think of all the stories lurking about him.

Williams - 6/10 - ARRRRRRRGGGHHHHHHHHHHH, I am a big fan because I know what he can do, but this was like the Brett that can't be arsed. Bloody annoying.

Reid - 5/10 - Just ran about a bit. Doesn't do enough when on the ball. Not the answer to the forward we so badly need.

Subs: Bawling (didn't have long enough to impact) and Keating (got a yellow card, enough said)

I think what we missed was a killer pass from the midfield but also more than one striker. Reid has to be given a rest, unless he shows something in training then perhaps this is the perfect opportunity for Wright to get into the team.

For those of you (I heard many) that keep moaning about the result - Lets re-visit after the game next Saturday. Who knows... we may have 7 points from a possible 9 and I am pretty sure most fans would be happy with this.

Time for bed.... Cheers
ccfc1010
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: bb

Post by ccfc1010 »

I expected to lose this game. Not just because your wage bill is twice as high, but because you train every day, at this early stage of the season I'd expect you to be much sharper and fitter than us. But really, with the exception of the goal line clearance in injury time, you didn't really have a chance of note. The fair analysis above sum the game up fairly well, I'm not sure how many you had missing but we had our player of the year from last year missing, not making excuses either. A draw was probably just about fair because we didn't create enough clear cut opportunities. For those of you who moaned about our ground, we hate it too! But, it's probably about the 7th or 8th best ground in this league. Not your best away day, that will be Bath or Dartford I'd guess, but certainly not your worst. Wait for East Thurrock, you won't all fit behind the goal.

Good luck for the season. Decent following from you guys and quite loud first half. We say 250 is poor considering we had been told 350 from a few but in reality that's probably the highest we'll see with the exception of Billericay over Christmas. See you at Plainmoor.
__quiet__gull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Sills

Post by __quiet__gull »

ccfc1010 wrote: 05 Aug 2018, 00:27 I expected to lose this game. Not just because your wage bill is twice as high, but because you train every day, at this early stage of the season I'd expect you to be much sharper and fitter than us. But really, with the exception of the goal line clearance in injury time, you didn't really have a chance of note. The fair analysis above sum the game up fairly well, I'm not sure how many you had missing but we had our player of the year from last year missing, not making excuses either. A draw was probably just about fair because we didn't create enough clear cut opportunities. For those of you who moaned about our ground, we hate it too! But, it's probably about the 7th or 8th best ground in this league. Not your best away day, that will be Bath or Dartford I'd guess, but certainly not your worst. Wait for East Thurrock, you won't all fit behind the goal.

Good luck for the season. Decent following from you guys and quite loud first half. We say 250 is poor considering we had been told 350 from a few but in reality that's probably the highest we'll see with the exception of Billericay over Christmas. See you at Plainmoor.
You expected to lose? Funny how you guys are rated higher than TUFC by the money men (bookmakers) and the national league pundits.

We have one player injured and another guy who started only signed in the week. Oh.. did I mention that we have a pretty much new team.... need a few games before they gel.

Same game played again in 10 weeks and the result would be different.

... and your pitch is pretty crap :lol:

Worth mentioning that our 250 away fans made a lot more noise than the whole of your home crowd... second half was just too hot.

Enjoy your season!
ccfc1010
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: bb

Post by ccfc1010 »

__quiet__gull wrote: 05 Aug 2018, 00:55 You expected to lose? Funny how you guys are rated higher than TUFC by the money men (bookmakers) and the national league pundits.

We have one player injured and another guy who started only signed in the week. Oh.. did I mention that we have a pretty much new team.... need a few games before they gel.

Same game played again in 10 weeks and the result would be different.

... and your pitch is pretty crap :lol:

Worth mentioning that our 250 away fans made a lot more noise than the whole of your home crowd... second half was just too hot.

Enjoy your season!
If you beat us today doesn't mean you have a better chance of the title. 1 game out of 42. We have a lot of new signings as will the majority in this league because 2 year contracts are rare. The bookies are wrong now and again, they had Dartford to win at 3/1 today.

You think that pitch is bad? Oh dear, just you wait for December and January away games.

Everyone knows our ground isn't good for atmosphere, ourselves included. Again, wait for the likes of East Thurrock and Hungerford. We're much better away and today was a pretty pathetic attempt tbh. Heat also played a part on the pitch I'm sure.
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

The first game of the season has been recorded on the 'fixtures' thread. It will be updated throughout the season.
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Thanks for the report. If you read the excellent match report by Merse it highlighted how difficult it was to play as a striker in the hot conditions and the poor condition of the pitch which negated any attempt to pass the ball around quickly.

It is unsurprising that it ended up a game off few chances. Tuesday nights game on a far better surface should give a better indication of what stage we are at. One thing that yesterdays game highlighted is that its going to be difficult to play much football away from home on some of these grounds so you see why Owers has gone for some big players.
budegull1954
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by budegull1954 »

Talking of match reports, the one we usually get from DevonLive/HE is conspicuous by its absence - how times have changed eh? Big report on Exeter City's match of course. One now has to glean information from the likes of Merse or Quiet Gull, or even a Chelmsford fan! (Excellent report Quiet Gull - thanks again - such dedication!)
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Course there is BBC Radio Devon might as well be renamed BBC Radio Exeter they have such a lovefest for the Grecians. Totally over the top and completely biased, they were going apeshit over yesterdays win over Carlisle.

Their summariser Jimmy Giles must be the most annoying **** I have ever heard on the radio. Every goal they ever score is met with their commentator screaming and Giles starts laughing "hey,hey,heyhey" - does the same thing after every goal. **** moron.
Gulag Dweller
Trialist
Trialist

Post by Gulag Dweller »

Fair result yesterday. I felt we were two similar sides cancelling each out in the blazing sunshine. Both seemed defensively sound and lacked a spark in that final third. From our point of view that was a good point and it was a good time to play you given you'll no doubt improve as the full time advantage kicks in and your team starts to gel. I'm pretty content as we had a few key players missing yesterday especially in attack so we should be able to offer a bit more in the final 3rd as the season progresses. Despite us retaining 9 players from last season only 3 of them started yesterday so it was effectively a new side for us as well and so we need a bit of time to gel too.

My assesment of you is that Owers has at least got the physicality of your side right. You've big, strong and mobile players all across the pitch. You don't get out of this league trying to play tippy, tappy nice football (although that can come when the physical battle is won). You need to be able to mix it physically but you've a very solid base to build from and you'll win games this season by over powering some sides. One advantage of this league is no transfer window so you can tinker with the side all season if you want.