TUFC v Chesterfield - 21/12/19

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

DWB wrote: 21 Dec 2019, 22:50 Absolute bollocks
Answered by the truth ;-)
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

brucie wrote: 21 Dec 2019, 23:32 DawlishMUTT - why exactly didn't you post last week when we won 5-1?
Victories don't fit his agenda. No doubt he was at Nandos last night with a couple of Chesterfield fans perusing this forum and have a jolly good laugh at us mental health cases ;-)
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Uptongull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by Uptongull »

Minneapolisgull wrote: 22 Dec 2019, 05:02 This is now very concerning, Chesterfield had not won in 8 (almost as bad as us) The very concerning thing for me is GJ post match interview. Hanging the players out to dry with they are not good enough for this level they need to look at therselves ect ect! Once you start hearing this there is only one ending and its just a case of when! After hearing that does anyone think those players going to turn up for him over Christmas period!
Something is not right, Will GJ be given the time to change the team? I thought we had the team to push for promotion? I thought all the talk at the beginning the season we are set up for a promotion push. Why do we bring all these players and no central defenders, no experience? what's going on with this family recruitment?
I really do understand the love in with GJ and for some he can do no wrong! Will those still be shouting from the roof tops as we slide back the NLS!
Whatever you think of GJ and I for one think he was out savior and gave us a season we will cherish and never forget, but sadly as the great man said 7 league defeats in a row is simply not good enough!
I for one cannot see a win coming over the next 3 games! Does any manager survive with 10 straight league defeat?
By the way this is a opinion so if you find the time to reply do so with interesting points and not you do not know what you are talking about blah blah, after all this is a forum bringing TUFC fans together from across the globe to offer insights and opinions!
I agree with your thoughts about GJ's interview comments. I know I wouldnt put my all in for someone who was saying I'm gonna be binned off.

It was only last week he was saying players are worried about their jobs.Hardly gonna be a breeding ground for positivity. But I guess he has to be frank with people and if you dont like the brutal world of football, find a different career.

What do you do though? Constantly praise them and say they're great, even though they've lost?

It does sound though like he's got some irons in the fire and just needs to see things through til January, but hopefully this dreadful patch doesn't stretch to nine straight defeats come 5pm New Year's day.
dawlishmatt
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Steve cooper

Post by dawlishmatt »

Good morning all and happy Christmas.
Dazza, no I don't think that Mike Green should be Gary Johnsons successor. I knew him from his days at Newton Dynamos in the mid 80s. DWB I respect your opinion.
brucie, I didn't comment on the 5-1 win against Aldershot as I was not at the match. Supernickywroe, as usual the expected tripe from you. Southampton Gull I love you but please try and not mention mental health in your comments. I have previously received several emails, quite rightly, from people who are suffering from mental illness after I jokingly questioned your mental health.
Nick Potkins
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Nick Potkins »

Was I pissed off with yesterday performance and result - YES
Am I concerned how and when we turn this around - YES
Do I think Gary has made errors of judgement - Yes
However this did not stop me making the 400 mile round trip to support the team I love. We have all been here before, Torquay United will not do things the easy way. Last year we rode the wave and carried this into this season. Gary, like may of us trusted the players, the players that got us promotion and a number of us on here thought our players would show up again in this league. Like Gary, a number of us were wrong, accept it.

So moving forward, I for one would be happy to give this season up and make a number of key signings in January on 18 month contracts, with the view to big things next season. Over the past month and before January we are simply papering over the cracks. Support Gary and his coaching team, yes maybe accept there view of certain players was through rose tinted glasses, but that view included a number of us!

When responding and posting on here, please remember we all support the same club. We all have our own ideas!
Best Wishes for Christmas, Nick
Hammdog2601
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by Hammdog2601 »

I’m a firm believer Gary will get this all right.

Although his brother has got these signings all **** wrong, Lloyd James has the way experience, but he’s diabolical. He cannot pass to save his life.

How is McNulty not getting a look in our team? He’s probably the best out of the recent bunch who we’ve signed.

Keating been probably our best in form player out of the last few games, what more has he gotta do to get a start? He’s for a goal and a few assists?

Kalala has been so out of his depth this season it’s actually a worry.

Nemane meh Andrews for me all day long, Him and Reid better be available Vs them

Keating has to start upfront with Reid
greb46
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by greb46 »

Yes ,don't know what else Keating has to do on recent form should be in the starting line up .
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Most of the recent signings lack experience and are not up to the players we have lost through injury ie Vincent, Hall, Davies etc etc.

No different yesterday with the loss of Reid, Andrews and the mystery sending off of Janneh. You can say that the injuries are not an excuse but you cannot ignore them as a factor.

Its pointless continually posting and banging on about Mcnulty or whoever not being in the team. it makes no difference. Without so many of our big guns absent or not fully fit we are obviously going to struggle.

What is the point in posting "Keating has to start up front with Reid" - He's injured for **** sake.

Top this off with your main striker getting sent off for an offence which apparently isn't seen by 2000 odd spectators, the referee, two sets of commentators plus summarisers and two sets of players........and you actually expect us to win?

We are not good enough at the moment, we all know it but spouting hysterical gibberish isn't going to help.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

I wish we would stop getting midfielders and wingers in on loan. Our goals against column is appalling. Two goals a game, only two teams have conceded more , one of them Chesterfield, though we couldn't trouble their defence and keeper even with Janneh on
I know the whole team defends but we need a whole new back four, and that maybe includes Wynter, good going forward but he
gets beaten far too easily at times and allows too many crosses to come in.
All this talk about losing touch with the play offs , we need to wake up , by Jan 2nd we could be sucked into a relegation scrap
a few points off the bottom four, look at the teams down there we have played recently , Chesterfield, Sutton, Chorley, Wrexham , all better than us, three losses and we were very lucky to scrape a win against Wrexham.
Six weeks ago I was cursing my luck at having to miss the Boxing Day game at Yeovil but now I am relieved. Just hope Reid is back,
why wasnt he rested for the Trophy game ?
6667GULL
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: O'KANE

Post by 6667GULL »

Lloyd James was the only player in our team with any quality.
Ignore we had a player sent off and yet another diabolical referee we conceded 3 goals from headers. Abysmal.
Chesterfield were dire but even with eleven players we would have made them look good.
I hate to say it but how much longer can we keep saying in GJ we trust.
His post match summaries are becoming as repetitive as another Gary, Mr Owers, and f**k all is being done about it.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

How can you ignore the fact we had a player sent off and a diabolical referee?

These factors impact on a game obviously.
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

Injuries and referees certainly impact on matches, but from say game ten Johnson should have realised if he didn't know earlier the quality of officials are appalling at our level and should have had a strategy to deal with it, most other teams I have seen this season seemed to have grasped this point. Chesterfield were very proficient in playing the ref yesterday. I still believe our injury after care is poor and we seem to have made an art form of bringing players back before they are ready.Johnson is old school and as they say you cannot teach an old dog new tricks, even the best teams in the premier realise that playing three at the back only works when you have top class players. I honestly believe listening to his post match comments over the last month that its his way or no way, it is everyone's fault but his own, anyone having the temerity to question his methods either finds themselves on the bench or out of the squad totally, I personally know this to be the case with Keating, and in the situation we find ourselves you need players like him who will die for the cause. I still believe Johnson will turn things around because the alternative will be having a succession on third rate managers which will undoubtedly result in a visit back to conference south.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

I was at the match yesterday and the simple question that has to be asked is this.
All 3 goals came from deep crosses and yet both centre backs were nowhere to be seen. Watch the highlights and stop the video and look at their positioning. I may be wrong but they had 3 free headers and scored 3 goals.
I am going to study the video highlights of our 6 straight losses starting with Sutton United on 16th Nov during which we have conceded 17 goals, 11 of them at home.
I suspect the centre backs are at fault because of our shape or rather the lack of it.
Hammdog2601
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by Hammdog2601 »

For me he dropped Cundy, now it’s time he drops Cameron. Captain or not.
No point picking on Cundy when we’re still conceding goals without him in the defence
standupsitdown
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by standupsitdown »

There is no point in changing manager unless his replacement is better. It would seem unlikely that Torquay would attract anyone better than Gary Johnson.
Mid table this season would be the end of the world and I still think we'll achieve that.
Turning point will be beating Woking on 28th.