Quick one for the historians/researchers

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

Stefano :

Aye, Kevin and Gary and father Larry. I was indeed in the same team that played at Plainmoor in the Torbay Pioneer Ex Professionals Cup final of 1971(beat Kingsteignton Youth Club 3-0).

There is so much in your posts to reply to stefano and all of it linked to Plainmoor the ground and the district.

Edit : I remember watching Larry Birch at Studley Knowle playing on the left wing for Windsor United.
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

ferrarilover wrote:Oh, deary me, what have I started, now we have Sesimbra on here too and he appears to be the oldest man in the world. To save Stefano style confusion, I will say hello and welcome but no more.

Sadly, Nick, you are right.

I concur with Dave, fascinating introduction from my new globetrotting friend, PM heading his way to delve a little deeper.

Matt.
Thanks Matt me o' dreadfully bearded mate. :clap:
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

Stefano :

I often have a beer with Aussie (volunteer groundsman) in the Union after a match. He said you look strangers direct in the eye and offer a firm handshake together with a welcoming smile.

Is there any other way of greeting strangers ? :clap:
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by stefano »

Trojan 67 wrote:Stefano :

I often have a beer with Aussie (volunteer groundsman) in the Union after a match. He said you look strangers direct in the eye and offer a firm handshake together with a welcoming smile.

Is there any other way of greeting strangers ? :clap:
Hi Trojan,

Good bloke Aussie. Always says exactly what he is thinking which makes him less complicated than many you come across in this World!

Are you sure it was 'Welcoming Smile' he said and not 'Inane Grin'? ;-)
sonofwod
New Signing
New Signing
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by sonofwod »

Trojan 67 wrote:As an add on to some schools' finals being played at Plainmoor, the one South Devon League cup final to be played at Plainmoor was the Dartmouth Cup final (for Division 1 teams).

Am I right in saying that local finals at Plainmoor ceased to happen in the later years of Mr Bateson's tenure ?

Back in the day, it was every local football playing schoolboy's dream to play at Plainmoor in a cup final.

For me, it happened many times, but that's another story.

As this appears to be a good thread to 'out' us 'lurkers', I thought I'd throw my hat in the ring, especially as there are a few things in discussion that I might be able to add to...

Firstly, as my name suggests, I am the prodigal son of an existing poster. I first came to hear of this site about a year ago when my mother started complaining about the amount of time the old boy was spending on that "bloody football thing"...apart from amusing me greatly, it also piqued my interest... Secondly, please accept my apologies in advance for any unforeseen breaches of etiquette - although I've been reading this a while, I don't know the first thing about contributing in an acceptable fashion. Also, as I live in Birmingham and still (try to) play amateur football every Saturday, my attendance at matches is limited to Boxing Day fixtures (when at home) and any other festive occasions when I happen to be back in the good old 'bay. I do however still love to follow the Gulls and so this is a great site for doing so from a distance, in addition to the OS, FLS and so on - I am aware of the limitations of having too many opinions when you can't get to games... It's great to have a way to keep up to date with everything going on at the club, especially as there seem to be many very knowledgeble folk regularly posting.

Anyway, to the point in hand re: local finals at Plainmoor and also Torre Trojans... I played for Trojans in the early-mid '90s in the Pioneer League from u11 to u15s (or u16s - I'd need to check the trophies as my memory is already hazy) and we certainly played our cup finals at Plainmoor. We beat Buckland Athletic to the double every year, which must have made them sick and so I can say that local finals were at Plainmoor until at least 1995. As Trojan 67 says, it was indeed a dream come true to play on the 'hallowed turf' and one which I had held from an early age - one of my earliest and most vivid memories of supporting United was the momentous night when we beat Spurs at Plainmoor in the league cup (1st leg of a tie in '87 I think) when "The Dude", Derek Dawkins scored the winner. Fortunately, it wasn't too long before the dream came true as (and looking back this is incredible) the Torbay Area Primary Schools XI played their home games there, for whom I am proud to say I was selected. Many of you will remember one of my teammates in that side, Garry Monk, who obviously played for United and is now at Swansea. I also played there in the 1989 Bewdley Cup final for Sherwell Valley School vs Babbacombe Primary, as a very excited 10-year-old. No wonder the pitch seemed so massive and we did play on the full pitch!

Also, from another post, I definitely remember the Styles Cup, which I won with the TBGS first year (now known as Year 7) team, but my memory fails me with some of the others.

Anyway, I may be tempted to raise my head above the parapet another time, but if not, I will certainly continue to read. Fingers crossed for the remainder of the season and, if my season is finished by then, I will be making the trip to the DVS for the Rotherham game with 2 very good friends who are Millers fans.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Quite some contribution for your first post, may I be the first to welcome you to TorquayFans.com.

I hope you'll contribute on a much more regular basis and just because you can't get to many games it doesn't mean your views aren't welcomed.
Dave

ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Not at all, in fact, there are some posters who get to loads of games that we wish would bugger off elsewhere.

If you do make the Millers match, will you be stood (sat) with us or the home fans?

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
sonofwod
New Signing
New Signing
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by sonofwod »

Thanks for the welcome gents.

If I can make it, I will be definitely be in the yellow end!
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

Welcome sonofwod. :clap:

I do hope this thread stays on the main board as already many posts are directly linked to TUFC, Plainmoor (the ground and district) and the memories remembered simply by attending each current match as it occurs.

The first home ground of Torre Trojans FC being Winchester Lodge Stadium (now the sports field of Warberry Primary School).

Winchester Lodge being a former prep school demolished in the early/mid 1960's.

Ellacombe Green v Brewery Park were regular (unofficial) fixtures up top at neutral Winchester Lodge.

Indeed, as well as being the home ground of Ellacombe School (back in the day), it has in the past been a venue for the Bewley Cup Final.

Edit : changed from late to early/mid for historical accuracy.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Trust me, it's staying put.

Reading the input of so many is compelling, I can't remember a thread in recent times that's been so enlightening, hopefully a few more people yet will raise their heads above water and contribute.
Dave

AdelaideGull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Jimmy Dunne

Post by AdelaideGull »

Well here's my input:

Firstly Torre Trojans - I played for them from U12's through to U16's back in 72/3 to 76/7 we mainly "battled" with Kingsteinton YC and Watcombe Park - memories anyone?

Firstly we were managed by a fantastic guy called Patsy Loyden who had an old massive Citroen that I swear used to fit the whole team in for away matches. After Patsy left we were managed by Dave Thomas - no not the bloke from the HE but a guy that lived near some school pitches that were on the top of the hill above Audley park school - cant remember the name of the road/playing field. We played at the "hallowed turf" of plainmoor quite a few times, both with TT and Homelands Tech. KYC was often an inhospitable place to play what with the Aggett brothers, Steve Johnson (with his mum Barb tripping opposing wingers up with her Brolly on the touch line) and "Fudge" Bassett in goal - all of whom I befriended when I started playing for WBB in later years.

Watcombe Park were managed by a guy called McCulloch (I think?) he always wore a bright yellow tracksuit hence Patsy christen him the "yellow Banana" - home for TT was Easterfield Lane - what a dog of a pitch that was - do people actually still play there?

I can remember playing at Winchester lodge at the top of the warberries, the pitch was small but FLAT something of an exception for Torquay.....

What else? We'll remember the cowshed - used to collect the empty "Vimto" bottle at the back of the stand and return them to the kiosk for a refund - remember seeing the mini stand being bulit - standing in the throng singing and chanting, remember "repelling" various sets of away supporters before coppers intervened - no segregation in those days? Remember playing football in the 5aside goals behind the ministand on the saturday afternoons of "Western League" days - used to try getting on the pitch after the game to score a goal only for Freddie King to "bark" at us to "F##k off

My gran lived in St Paul's road so always used to play football on the cabbage patch behind the mini stand that now house that bloody swimming pool, I've PM various users from this site before about the names that played SJP (or Steve Pope) was one of them. Homelands - went to school with Northumberland Gull - Brucie, so I think that one is covered?

Used to live at the top of Quinta Road, so spend most summers either at the gentlemans bathing place (Oddicombe) or Torre Abbey sands - remember playing 20 a side games on a sunday afternoon v grockels from scouseland/Mank chester or anywhere else.

Thats about all now for my ramblings of a fifty year old man, who sometimes wonders why he chose to take his family to the other side of the world??????

NB: Happy to recall lots of other memories if people think it worthwhile?
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Fantastic read, please do contribute more often.
Dave

Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

For an overseas fan that has been supporting the Gulls since the late 90's (my first ever match to Plainmoor was against Argyle in March 2000 when we lost 4-0), I must say this thread has been a fascinating read.

Thanks to all those posters, both new and old, who have contributed to this one.

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

The ground of Torquay United Association Football Club : PLAINMOOR.

In the district of PLAINMOOR, surrounded/encircled by ELLACOMBE, BABBACOMBE, WESTHILL/DAISON, UPTON and ST.MARYCHURCH.

Slap bang in the middle of TORQUAY, surrounded by street after street of terraced housing, the living heartbeat of the town and community.

Then there's USAT (Unitary Status Authority Torbay). Where's its precise location on the ordnance map ? What's its postcode ?

Of this there is no doubt : PLAINMOOR is in TQ1.

Where's the smilie indicating "the finger" ? No, not the thumbs up, you know precisely what I mean by the finger. EU puppet USAT has officially been given the finger, by me, Trojan 67.

As long as there is a TORQUAY UNITED in the heart of the community, there will always be a TORQUAY.

History thread . . . Semper Fi . . . oohra . . . :engflag:
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

Oops :Oops:, went off on one.

This thread will develop as each poster brings their memories of Plainmoor both past and present into open forum.

I didn't get the meaning "living history" when I was young. I do now. All the people around me of an older age when I was younger, had history alive in them.

Anyone who says history is a dead subject not worthy of study, does indeed need to get out more.