Buckle seen in Bristol

General chat about anything else goes here.
PlainmoorRoar
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by PlainmoorRoar »

gasheadinpeace wrote:Hi, Gashead here as you can tell..

My neighbour has been a security guard at the Memorial Stadium for 36 years and he told me yesterday when I was coming home that he saw Paul Buckle exiting the Board of Director's Meeting Room at 2.15, and then leaving the ground itself at 2.30. Make of that what you will.

Now for what it's worth our Chairman has said today that he will be making an announcement within the week regarding who the next manager will be. It that really is the case then I, and most people, would be incredibly shocked to see PB leave days before a play-off match, one of the biggest in your club's history!

Oh, and also, Danny Senda is class.
:lol:
TUFC FACEBOOK PAGE - https://www.facebook.com/insideplainmoor
TUFC TWITTER PAGE - https://twitter.com/TUFC1899

Torquay United Supporters Trust member - Join the TUST now!
basil75
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by basil75 »

I would agree though that this would be a pretty poor move on Buckle's part. Bigger club whatever, we'll be playing at least at their level next season - and from what I can see - I'd much rather have our current squad for a L2 campaign. My ideal team would only have about 3/4 additions and believe that a couple of additions will turn us from a very good side to an excellent side. Side step at best. At Bristol Rovers he'd have to put together a new squad - big changes have never been his strong points it takes him a while to get the right tactics - so I see it as a potentially big gamble on his currently good reputation, for little reward.

As I've said elsewhere - we've have the quality - I don't feel we've been played off the park this season, we've done well and held our own against the "best" sides in the division. We've only been let down by consistency - playing fantastically against Bury and Shrewsbury, then looking poor against your Macclesfields/Herefords/Morecambes(and possibly a few too many midweek matches - we had the most intensive fixture list at one point for some reason).

Also, if I was Buckle I'd remember his rough patches here - I doubt he'd have kept his job at Bradford, Port Vale, Bristol Rovers given how long they went on for in the 2 instances that spring to mind. While I didn't want him out, I wouldn't have been upset by his departure.
united09
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by united09 »

gashead468 wrote:Gashead in peace.

Can I just add a few things to this debate which have obviously got some of you worrying about your managers future.

Can you blame the guy at wanting to better himself, he clearly is a young and up and coming manager so coming to a bigger club (if true) would be a natural progression for him. He would be handed a bigger budget in which to build a team that would challenge for automatic promotion. Being a bigger club, with a bigger fan base, he would be able to attract the better players and not journeyman. If, and its a massive if, you manage to get promoted you'll be the favourites to come straight back down again. Maybe what he see's is a much better prospect at sustainable League 1 / Championship football in the medium / long term!?

I know which club I'd prefer to be at!

Good luck on Sat, I think you'll need it!
I fully agree with you. I would of thought he would jump at the chance to be with a bigger and better club, such as yourselves. I hope he gets on ok.

Good luck Paul Buck with Bristol City :-D
basil75
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by basil75 »

I also found the comment that Buckle might leave now because he thinks we have no hope of beating Shrewsbury on Rovers forum quite odd, considering we have beaten them 6-1 over the 2 legs in the league.

I'm not saying we'd win - but surely even the most pessimistic must think we have a slight chance at the very least.
cambgull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: All Of Them

Post by cambgull »

united09 wrote:Good luck Paul Buck with Bristol City :-D
:clap:

I so hope that was done intentionally!
Luke.

"Successful applicants need not apply"
Dave_Pougher
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Mansell

Post by Dave_Pougher »

At the end of the day it comes down to decency and respect.

Would PB have the decency to tell us if the this rumour was true?
Would he have the respect to his team, his supporters and himself to allow this to happen now?
Last edited by Dave_Pougher on 11 May 2011, 18:49, edited 1 time in total.
cambgull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: All Of Them

Post by cambgull »

Dave_Pougher wrote:At the end of the day it comes down to decency and respect.

Would PB have the decency to tell us if the this rumour was true?
Would he have he respect to his team, his supporters and himself to allow this to happen now?
No.
Yes.

Buckle likes to keep his cards close to his chest, the only time you'll ever hear him say anything about leaving is in the goodbye message to fans after his new job is announced.

However, I think he would have the respect to not allow this to happen while the play-offs are on. He wouldn't take another job when there is a distinct possibility at League 1 football next season.
Luke.

"Successful applicants need not apply"
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

told you this ages ago.

buckle agreed to join them in january at the end of this season.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Sponsors of Lirak Hasani, 2024-2025
We now head Due South to all games!

TUST Member 468

Yellow4life
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Yellow4life »

Until we know it's(if) confirmed...forget it and concentrate on Saturday.
united09
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by united09 »

cambgull wrote: :clap:

I so hope that was done intentionally!
Ooops silly me ;-)
CP Gull

Post by CP Gull »

tufcbrett wrote:He is a football manager of Torquay United. The club will not let him talk to you during the play offs. No club would let them.
Did your "sourse" also tell you that Simon Baker was there too, our club chairman.

After the play offs, i can see your lot and swindon being intrested. Untill after everyone knows what league were in, this conversation is pointless.
I'm not so sure that this development would make the "rumour" any less true. As PB is contracted to us then any approach to take him off us would have to be made through the Board. I would imagine given the excellent relationship that there appears to be between the board and PB that they would at the very least offer him the chance to interview for the job if he wanted to. Personally I reckon that If PB wants it then I don't think the Board would stand in his way - that's not to say that they wouldn't be hugely disappointed at this outcome though. So with that in mind it would make perfect sense for Simon Baker to meet with his oppos at BRFC in order to discuss compensation and perhaps also agree on the timing of the appointment given our involvement in the Play Offs!

I believe that we are entitled to a decent chunk of compo as he (Bucks) is on a rolling 12 month contract rather than the fixed contract to November 2011 as has been mooted elsewhere. My guess would be that we would end up with something like 6-12 months of Bucks' salary but of course it all depends on how his contract is structured.

I can understand why Bucks may be interested in the BRFC job as let's face it they are a bigger club than us and in many ways it's an ideal time to take a job like that on in that they are at a low point at this moment in time and with the right Manager in charge surely the only way is up! They are certainly capable of bouncing straight back to L1 next season and who knows maybe even challenging at the right end of L1 the season after although I don't really see them as a Championship club in waiting as some have suggested! ;-)

From Bucks point of view he may well feel that after 4 years with us it's time to move on and given his personal circumstances a move a bit closer to London would probably suit him too. Not only that but he might have a decent budget to play with there, almost certainly a lot more than ours as things stand whatever league we end up in, but if they were to cash in on Will Hoskins who is far and away their best player and biggest asset then he could be quids in. They are also planning a move to a new ground which can only help in their progress.

A word of caution would of course be that they sacked their last Manager (Dave Penney) within 3 months and who's to say that if he weren't to get off to a flyer next season that he might not be out of a job by Xmas! I certainly doubt that the BRFC board would afford Bucks the same level of patience that he has enjoyed, and would continue to do I'm sure, with us.

As for the timing, well who knows, perhaps BRFC will make the appointment "within the week" as has been suggested , or perhaps they will delay it until after next weekend or if necessary (hopefully) maybe not until the end of May! I suppose one option might be that they could announce him as their new Manager but allow him to stay with us to "complete" the job if that is what the parties concerned wanted - although not sure how well that would sit with TUFC!!!!
Last edited by CP Gull on 11 May 2011, 19:03, edited 5 times in total.
gasheadinpeace
New Signing
New Signing
Favourite player: Danny Senda

Post by gasheadinpeace »

Don't worry, we'll make him feel welcome :)
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Spot on CP.

One thing I can say is that there are three other clubs interested in appointing Bucks and nothing has supposedly been signed yet.

If the manager and the board have reached a decision there's nothing unusual in it happening at this stage of a season, but I doubt anything is made public until our play-off campaign is over.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
gullsflyinghigh
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Rene Howe

Post by gullsflyinghigh »

Even if... the timing of it all is idiotic. We want to get promoted don't we?! Or is it only me?
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

Buckle seen in Bristol ? At the Memorial Ground ?

I was seen at Plainmoor today, but it doesn't mean I'll be the next manager of TUFC.

As it was, I there today (Plainmoor) to get a couple of tickets for the home game v Shrewsbury.
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"