Buckle

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
allez mons
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Guy Branston

Post by allez mons »

Guys, lets be pragmatic about this..............whether you are Manchester United or Torquay United, no manager is bigger than the club. He goes, we move on - such is life. What is important here is that it has been done early. A new manager comes in and has time to work with the squad and wheel and deal before the new season.
The last thing we need is a League 2 Aston Villa-esque saga. Well thought of Manager seriously thinks about leaving due to "constraints"; well thought of Manager decides to stay; 48 hours before the season starts well thought of Manager does decide to bugger off; Board dithers as well thought of TEAM spend most of season in turmoil which nearly ends in relegation. Food for thought.

JOHN
kingsgull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: sloped off

Post by kingsgull »

24 hours later and the knifes out....whether its 100 % true or not i for one thank him and the board for achieving 3 playoffs and us back in the league...he has to work on a low budget and has achieved incredible results...i was at OT with my 10 year old making and starting chants too and also made sure we applauded our team off...really appreciated Lee Mansell going round and applauding them too...

If he does go i shall not being calling him names but just thanking him for transforming TUFC to where it is...and i will shake his hand and wish him well...if he isnt going then i will be really pleased...i have his number so i should call him...

anyway ...soon we will be preparing for team formations and local derbies.....

mike
Kit_robin
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Kit_robin »

GullsFan wrote:I think that he has done well in his times, the ups and downs have come but if you think really, he didn't do too bad with what he was given. ...
I'm afraid that this statement is something cooked up by Buckle's post-match propaganda campaign over the last nine months.

At every turn he's constantly mentioned how small a club we are, how small his budget is, and how we have massively overacheived for even thinking we might finish in the top seven.

Now, fair play, on the first two points he's probably correct, however the manager of a football team shouldn't be spouting this negative viewpoint to the public. People want to support teams that are going places, if they hear that Torquay are overacheiving by being in seventh, they wont bother coming. This, to me, is part of the reason for our poor attendance. He constantly creates a negative atmosphere about our club at times when we should be positive, saying to people how well we're doing, and how exciting it is.

So if it doesn't benefit the club, who does it benefit? Buckle, of course. Firstly, to onlookers, it keeps reinforcing the fact that he's a brilliant manager turning out a promotion-chasing side that without him would be on the brink of relegation. Secondly, it places the sort of idea above into fans heads. When he comes up short we remember the fact that we're "little old Torquay" and that actually he's done really well. I've seen lots of comments over the last 36 hours along the lines of "none of us thought we would be in the play-offs this year." Hmmm. I seem to remember a lot of people tipping us for a top seven finish at the beginning of this year. The fact that people forget this is down to Buckles ad-speak.

I will admit that I've never particuarly rated him. I will also admit that he has improved MASSIVELY in the last 12 months from the manager he was in the first three years. Unfortunately, as people have mentioned elsewhere, it's his ego that's always been a major problem. Saying all that, i would rather he stayed than get in a complete rookie like Hargreaves (as much as i like, and respect, the bloke). However, offer me Paul Trollope and i'll bite your hand off. And your arm. And possibly the rest of you.

Lets thank Buckle for the part he played in getting us back in to the league, but lets not forget the countless times he's come up majorly short, and the amount of PR disasters he's presided over. His leaving marks a chance for a new, successful era at this football club, and provided the board make a sensible choice for his replacement I personally am hopeful of continued improvement.

Onwards and upwards!
pcm
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by pcm »

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528, ... 15,00.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
TORQUAY TILL I DIE....
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Mike, I wouldn't say the knives are out at all. We're all free to express our opinions on here and almost all of us have one on Paul Buckle.

Despite what he's achieved in his time here, he leaves us in a position where we will have to fight tooth and nail to stay in the league.

I'm not forgetting the players we have here now under contract but the well is dry and he's helped as much as anyone to make that happen. Take away the loan players and also Branston and O'Kane, we're better off than we were 4 years ago but do we have the tools to keep it that way?

Playing Devils Advocate here to an extent but how far have we come really?
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Super Jason Fowler

Post by Fonda »

Kit_robin wrote: I'm afraid that this statement is something cooked up by Buckle's post-match propaganda campaign over the last nine months.

At every turn he's constantly mentioned how small a club we are, how small his budget is, and how we have massively overacheived for even thinking we might finish in the top seven.

Now, fair play, on the first two points he's probably correct, however the manager of a football team shouldn't be spouting this negative viewpoint to the public. People want to support teams that are going places, if they hear that Torquay are overacheiving by being in seventh, they wont bother coming. This, to me, is part of the reason for our poor attendance. He constantly creates a negative atmosphere about our club at times when we should be positive, saying to people how well we're doing, and how exciting it is.

So if it doesn't benefit the club, who does it benefit? Buckle, of course. Firstly, to onlookers, it keeps reinforcing the fact that he's a brilliant manager turning out a promotion-chasing side that without him would be on the brink of relegation. Secondly, it places the sort of idea above into fans heads. When he comes up short we remember the fact that we're "little old Torquay" and that actually he's done really well. I've seen lots of comments over the last 36 hours along the lines of "none of us thought we would be in the play-offs this year." Hmmm. I seem to remember a lot of people tipping us for a top seven finish at the beginning of this year. The fact that people forget this is down to Buckles ad-speak.

I will admit that I've never particuarly rated him. I will also admit that he has improved MASSIVELY in the last 12 months from the manager he was in the first three years. Unfortunately, as people have mentioned elsewhere, it's his ego that's always been a major problem. Saying all that, i would rather he stayed than get in a complete rookie like Hargreaves (as much as i like, and respect, the bloke). However, offer me Paul Trollope and i'll bite your hand off. And your arm. And possibly the rest of you.

Lets thank Buckle for the part he played in getting us back in to the league, but lets not forget the countless times he's come up majorly short, and the amount of PR disasters he's presided over. His leaving marks a chance for a new, successful era at this football club, and provided the board make a sensible choice for his replacement I personally am hopeful of continued improvement.

Onwards and upwards!
Not convinced at the prospect of Paul Trollope, but apart from that, the stuff here about Bucks hits the nail squarely on the head.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
Kit_robin
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Kit_robin »

Fonda wrote:
Not convinced at the prospect of Paul Trollope, but apart from that, the stuff here about Bucks hits the nail squarely on the head.
Can understand that, however i would point out the alternatives to his appointment being a big reason as to why i said i'd bite your hand off! Would rather have an experienced manager who plays ncie football, but would rather have Trollope (who does have a promotion under his belt) than Hargreaves or Hilly. Hilly! Could you imagine...
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Fonda »

Kit_robin wrote: Can understand that, however i would point out the alternatives to his appointment being a big reason as to why i said i'd bite your hand off! Would rather have an experienced manager who plays ncie football, but would rather have Trollope (who does have a promotion under his belt) than Hargreaves or Hilly. Hilly! Could you imagine...
I'm in agreement. Perhaps i'm asking too much to imagine we might opt for someone with a bit of experience, that wants to play football? It's probably fantasy.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Out of those three Hargreaves would be my choice. It's his enthusiasm and love for the Club as well as his dedication to work. I think he would make a great manager, managerial experience doesn't always mean anything, if it did we'd only ever see 70 year olds occupying the position.
Dave

basil75
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by basil75 »

I agree. I'd recommend that the board insert a clause into the next managers contract that forbids the word overachieve.

No wonder there's apathy if we're massively overachieving to scrape into the L2 play offs. People are attracted to ambitious clubs, not overachieving clubs that are a pack of cards waiting to be blown down.

Plus the word overachieve gives a real discredit towards the players and their abilities. Overachieve gives an impression of achieving something you didn't earn and the players achieved their playoff final place on merit.
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Fonda »

Experience isn't everything - all managers start somewhere. But not every on-pitch 'leader' makes a good manager. And the more times you try it (employing a complete novice), the more chance there is that it's going to fail at some point. With the budgetry issues we'll face next season, i'd rather take the safer option of someone who's done the job before.
Boom Boom
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Paul Buckle

Post by Boom Boom »

Interesting take from Kit Robin. With him being Bristol Rovers, he hasn't got the excuse to hide behing that they're a small club with no budget. Atleast we can look forward to a manager that has the common sense not to put a defensive midfielder & a left-back on when we're chasing the game. A major thanks to him for getting us out of the BSP but along with Benyon sometimes moves just don't work out.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Boom Boom wrote:Interesting take from Kit Robin. With him being Bristol Rovers, he hasn't got the excuse to hide behing that they're a small club with no budget. Atleast we can look forward to a manager that has the common sense not to put a defensive midfielder & a left-back on when we're chasing the game. A major thanks to him for getting us out of the BSP but along with Benyon sometimes moves just don't work out.

Hargreaves at centre-half anyone?
Dave

kingsgull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: sloped off

Post by kingsgull »

Southampton Gull wrote:Mike, I wouldn't say the knives are out at all. We're all free to express our opinions on here and almost all of us have one on Paul Buckle.

Despite what he's achieved in his time here, he leaves us in a position where we will have to fight tooth and nail to stay in the league.

I'm not forgetting the players we have here now under contract but the well is dry and he's helped as much as anyone to make that happen. Take away the loan players and also Branston and O'Kane, we're better off than we were 4 years ago but do we have the tools to keep it that way?

Playing Devils Advocate here to an extent but how far have we come really?
Dave...you're right we are all entitled to our views but got back tonight as i stayed over near OT and got online and saw all this Buckle bashing and it annoyed me as what he achieved for us over the 4 years outweighs any negativity over his imminent departure....
as a fan i have not known so many highs in the space of 4 years (except the 2nd leg po v exeter :@ ) than the lows we left ....

with a miniscal budget he achieved miracles and being realistic if we had gone up we would of really struggled financially....but i thank him for a great 4 years and would gladly shake his hand and wish him well

mike
tuafc
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by tuafc »

Agree, the Buckle propaganda train will have to go into overdrive to convince those at BR that bringing on a left back with minutes remaining in a final you are losing is a managerial masterstroke.

Those bashing Trollope seem to be basing their opinion on the thoughts of the same Rovers fans we are called deluded for their 'big club' beliefs.

This link shows not everyone has these thoughts towards him:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/13524422.stm

and only a year ago BR themselves were fighting off rumours of his departure to a bigger club:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 652029.stm

Hargreaves - great bloke but the last time we took someone who was a great captain for us and had been out of the game for a couple of years and made them manager we ended up with Wes Saunders.