Who will Buckle take with him?

General chat about anything else goes here.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Zzzzzzzzzzz
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

ferrarilover wrote:Bevan, Stanners (who was our in all but name), Northy, Milts and PB himself.

Now, I'm not sure of the state of the education system in Bristol, and I will admit that I did attend a particularly fine school, but surely, even a Bristolian dumb enough to choose Rovers over City can see that there are more than two names in that list, can't they?

Matt.
Hard to count Stanley, in my mind. Yes, he was our player for 3 months, so what? Technically, he was Morecambes. Not ours. Did Northampton take Robinson from us? No they didn't, because he was never ours. I see where you're coming from, but the fact that we never held his registration permanently suggests to me that he wasn't our player.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend

Post by ferrarilover »

Well, Nick, it depends how you see it. I think of Stanners as 'ours' because, having spoken to him on a few separate occasions, he was absolutely desperate to sign for us. Back in the good ol' days, before the fecking 'transfer window' nonsense was begun, he would have been a Torquay player months ago.
Robinson was mever going to stay, we were a stepping stone (downwards, as it turns out).

Matt.
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Desperate to sign for us, or desperate to sign for Buckle?

Certainly looks like the latter..
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend

Post by ferrarilover »

Ah, well, this is the question. He always commented that he loved the club and that he wanted to stay, never a mention of specifics within that.
I font doubt that PB is a draw for some players, but whatever the reason, BR have deprived us of a player we would have had next season, do he goes on my list of people Buckle has taken with him.

Matt.
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Super Jason Fowler

Post by Fonda »

Stanley wasn't ours. He had no club and was free to sign for whoever he wanted to. There are probably plenty of players without a contract right now that would happlily sign for us if given a chance - the only difference between them and Stanners is that he played here for 3 months previously. He was keen to sign for us when the choice was us or Morecambe. As soon as Bristol expressed an interest, offering a better location and better financial rewards, his opinion changed. Can't blame him, and can't claim him.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend

Post by ferrarilover »

See, this isn't my experience. It wasn't that he wanted away from Morecambe, it was that he wanted TUFC specifically.

Matt.
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Fonda »

He wanted away from Morecambe because he didn't get on with their manager, at that point coming to Torquay appealed. That changed, when his mate took over, which would have made the decision between them and us more difficult. Throw a bigger club with more money and better prospects into the equation and the decision was made for him. I doubt Bucks, as much as he'd like to think he was, was part of his decision at all.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend

Post by ferrarilover »

I see why you'd think that, but that was absolutely not the way of it from speaking to the man himself.

Matt.
Regiment
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Regiment »

i don't care, i just want to know what's happening about getting a beer at plainmoor next year, not who's playing centre mid :lol:

and just in case the rovers are still kicking around, that was another little joke :-D
Brady

I Wish I Was There
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Fonda »

ferrarilover wrote:I see why you'd think that, but that was absolutely not the way of it from speaking to the man himself.

Matt.
I wouldn't suggest players 'lie' as such, but i'm sure when they talk to fans they are keen to tell them what they think they want to hear? I'm sure Stanley was very happy with us - he certainly seemed so, and a month ago would have jumped at the chance of signing permanently. But the circumstannces changed and so did his decision. We have to get over it now.
Gashead1979
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by Gashead1979 »

Don't you guy's think (as painful as it may seem) PB has the right to get players in from a team that he assembled from scratch ??
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

I tried thinking of a witty response to that comment, Gashead, but I just couldn't. It is one the stupidest "suggestions" I've ever heard.
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Fonda »

Gashead1979 wrote:Don't you guy's think (as painful as it may seem) PB has the right to get players in from a team that he assembled from scratch ??
Has a 'right'? Are you for real? They are TUFC players, not Paul Buckle players.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend

Post by ferrarilover »

Do you not think Torquay United has the right (as painful as it may be) to some protection from the advances of a manager that we built up from scratch?

No, didn't think so.

Matt.