Two Poss Signings

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
tufcbrett
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Who gets us a win!

Post by tufcbrett »

Fonda wrote: Just one question to answer then. Minor point really. Does he know where the goal is...?
Did you watch the videos? Because yes he does. Ok his goal scoring recored is not amazing, but he can finish and doesnt mean he wont score goals if he signed for us. Tomlin was never a natrual goal scorer but everyone liked him.
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Super Jason Fowler

Post by Fonda »

I'm at work so haven't had chance to check the clips. Ever the cynic, i do wonder what everyone else has missed that he posesses?
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
monkeyboy
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by monkeyboy »

Watched Youtube a couple of days ago, very impressed, but have to remember it is edited. What I did see though was that he looked comfortable on the ball, pretty quick and headed well. Could be an improvement on Zebs if given the stability his career has lacked until now.
tufcbrett
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Who gets us a win!

Post by tufcbrett »

Fonda wrote:I'm at work so haven't had chance to check the clips. Ever the cynic, i do wonder what everyone else has missed that he posesses?
At the end of the day im going on what i saw, If Ling doesnt sign him then hes obviously rubbish.
But looking at him, hes quick and strong. Can take on people and get passed them. Can header and be a target man.

Might not be a goal scorer but i feel i could add something else, might work well he if signed a natrual goal scorer aswell.
He would chip in with his his goals too.

Yes i agree Monkeyboy but still has some talent there, obviously he dont see the misses and the mistakes but could be a good replacment for zebs as they both seem to have simular. Worth a chance, never know he could settle here and find his shooting boots.
DevonYellow
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Jean Pierre-Simb

Post by DevonYellow »

I remember Southampton signing a striker on the basis of some videos and the claim he was related to George Weah, so If we do end up signing this lad I hope it goes a little better than that transfer!

AND that he makes more of an impact than he did whilst at Stevenage. Some players seem to fit certain clubs - compare Zebs' record with us and Wycombe for an example - so fingers crossed we are the club to get the best out of him.
Chris B
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane

Post by Chris B »

Can't believe I've just watched 15mins of assorted Taiwo Atieno highlights!

He certainly seems to have something about him - I'd lazily compare the link-up play and pace to a mix between Lee Thorpe and (dare I say it) Zebroski. There are big questions to be asked, though. Firstly, all of the footage is of sub-League Two standard football, and why was he released by Luton and Stevenage? The nomadic element of his career also takes the 'journeyman' tag to a new level. Worth a look, and it'll be interesting to see how he gets on against Bristol City's Championship-level CBs.

If nothing else, by playing in next week's friendlies it'll buy Ling a bit more time to find a quality striker to add to the squad.
TCP
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Josh Coulson

Post by TCP »

Atieno is nowhere near good enough for league football, and clueless Ling should really know this.
CUFC4LIFE
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Super Jason Fowler

Post by Fonda »

What concerns me most is not that we are giving a trial to a serial failure, but that he is evidently the only striker we are currently linked with. The horizon looks completely sparse - players are either seemingly not good enough, or out of our price range.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
TCP
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by TCP »

I was half expecting (and hoping) that Ling would offer sicknote Daryl Clare a trial down at your place.

And to think that the berk paid Gateshead 10k for him this time last year...
CUFC4LIFE
ROI2Gull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Gary Nelson

Post by ROI2Gull »

Atieno appears to have had some ability. However even when you look at the opposition that he's up against here there at 6's and 7's diving in tackles the lot. Won't have that level of freedom at L2 level. What harm giving him a shot though. If He's half decent rolling monthly contract only.
TUFC92
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by TUFC92 »

Looks to have the right attributes for sure. But, as others have said, why is it that nobody else have shown an interest?

Maybe it is just the fact that he hasn't found a club he can really settle into, and if that is true then maybe he could be a good signing for us.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

TCP wrote:Atieno is nowhere near good enough for league football, and clueless Ling should really know this.
Since you're posting in a Brucie manner, I shall give you my fairly standard Brucie reply...

Nothing like a well evidenced post.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
TCP
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by TCP »

Have you ever seen him play?

I also know Luton and Stevenage fans who were thoroughly unimpressed by him.

P.S. Who is this Brucie chap you're referring to? Forsyth?

EDIT: Having read some of his postings, I see what you mean now :rofl:
CUFC4LIFE
Warwickgull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: HOWE

Post by Warwickgull »

After watching those clips he looks good. If Stevens has got a 2 year deal this guy deserves 3 for his mixed tape alone! :O
Everybody has a photographic memory, some people just dont have film.
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

Warwickgull wrote:After watching those clips he looks good. If Stevens has got a 2 year deal this guy deserves 3 for his mixed tape alone! :O
Please - if you stitch together my better moments at Clennon Valley's 7-a-side moments, I'd look like a world beater. Of course, you'd edit out the misplaced passes, mistimed tackles and general crapness.

I never look on YouTube videos as anything other than a highly selective reminder of what people can do if given enough chances and someone who can edit videos.
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.